It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Swamp Gas' on Mars? - The Green Fog

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
This is the greenest dust we've found on Mars (we produced it - but it's more a turquoise than a green
) :
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/67ef67428477.jpg[/atsimg]

Looks like that image is a little over saturated like NASA prefers
But some of the lighter basalt I have seen in the regions I have gone Martian rock hunting in look like the lighter grey/lt blue version of Basalt

Like this...

There are a few of them... these are the same material as 'Humphrey" the big rock that also shows bluish green dust when they drilled it..

Found some nice Scoria too... beautiful clear shots... to bad we cannot see the moon this close eh?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Well its not a problem... Mars has three things... Rover parts... Basalt all over... and iron oxide sand... In fact that is what we mostly see.
Does that mean that there are no "swamp gas" clouds?

And you know that I have posted several images with rocks that look more like those on Earth than the reddish NASA versions, the problem appears when there is something in the photo that reflects the infra-red light (in this case) in the same way other things reflect the red light but does not reflect the red light in the same way. Those things will look red when we use the infra-red channel when in reality they do not look red, and we do not have any way of knowing how it would really look.

So when something that we cannot identify appears on a photo we need a photo with the right channels to know how it looks.

PS: I see basalt, limestone, several types of marble, granite and several other types of rock every day, the streets in Portugal are paved with limestone, with drawings made with basalt, while some roads are paved with granite or basalt, and almost all buildings use some type of marble. Probably that's the reason I see only rocks on these photos.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Thus far you've taken the lazy route and chalked it all up to NASA image processing instead of investigating geological processes which could have produced the cloud.
It's not a lazy route.

When we look at a photo that was made with three different photos that should be the starting point, we should try to see if in the process something may have been responsible for what we find strange or out of place.

As I said in one of the edits on my first post I think that the green has the same source as the blue cloud (that apparently nobody sees), it was a dust cloud or a forming (or disappearing) dust-devil that was in different places in the different photos, so it appears in different colours in different positions.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocksolidbrain

Because Moon is grey ???

Are you absolutely sure about that? I'm not.

Look at this color photo from the Apollo 16 mission (AS16-120-19279), it shows Gassendi and Mare Humorum on the near side of the moon:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ffb6741d509e.jpg[/atsimg]

You can find it here, among more color photos:
www.lpi.usra.edu...

And this is what the Apollo 10 astronauts said about the color of the moon during the photo debriefing:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc91eb5b22df.jpg[/atsimg]
Page 2 in this document:
ntrs.nasa.gov...

Here you can find both AS10-34-5079 and 5149, the two photos mentioned in the debriefing:
www.lpi.usra.edu...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

Hey Telos, cheers for the heads up, goin to sus it out now. I too thought it was a valid question i asked , shot down by some, then picked up and dusted off by others........Ahh, i love ATS.

[edit on 9/9/2009 by scubagravy]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

reply to post by rocksolidbrain

This is the first time a green cloud of dust/fog has been spotted on Mars at ground level. Seriously, go check the internet.

Dust or fog ? make up your mind

You are showing pics of green dust, so does that mean that now everyone agrees that it is dust (of whatever color) and the Martian green variety of methane exists only in the mind of OP ? Well that settles it.

I guess you are on a 'wrong' internet. Because my internet shows me many pics of dust, clouds, dust storms, dust devils, dust fountains and everything thats dusty on Mars. The whole planet often is engulfed by major dust storms, both in air and on surface.

Its there on my internet since many years, so surely its the first time only for you.

[edit on 9/9/2009 by rocksolidbrain]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocksolidbrain

Dust or fog ? make up your mind

Do you have some evidence that proves what this cloud consists of?

I do not think that you do.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Do you have some evidence that proves what this cloud consists of?

No matter how clever you think you are, it isn't working. Went from dust/fog to "cloud"...

Having fun? Think it's useful to behave in this manner? Care to offer an opinion/theory/suggestion with proof to back it up?

Or, do you prefer to play games and ridicule others?

How about doing something useful for a change, and looking for more examples of this "green" whatever-it-is, up there on our lovely Mars. Check the threads right HERE at ATS, over the last 24 months. I saw it, someone else posted it and asked about it, seems like the sort of thing Mike would have done, or perhaps it was someone else.

See if Martha Stewart's Living (moon) has it, from way back, and not just recently, mmmKay??

SO, have fun!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Went from dust/fog to "cloud"...

Don't forget mist and Zorgon's Swamp Gas.

We must not not limit our speculation with regards to which processes produced this fog/mist/dust/swamp gas cloud. As of yet, we do not know which process is responsible, or even what the composition of the green cloud may be.

*In any case, I have temporarily placed you onto my ignore list. You will remain there until you regain your composure and begun exhibiting the decorum which you seem so unfamiliar with these days.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Many martian rocks have interiors with a greenish cast due to olivine content. This is not surprising considering that olivine, a green crystalline mineral, is common in basaltic rocks. It wouldn't be at all out of the ordinary to find olivine sand and dust in the martian soil. Consider the green sand found on some Hawaiian beaches on Earth.

The "green cloud" in the picture is most likely just blowing dust. Is it really green? Perhaps, under certain lighting conditions. I think, however, that it is merely an imaging artifact. I have seen similar effects in other digital images.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

Finally, a cogent and reasoned explanation.

Good one, Shadowhawk.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Where did that picture of a contrail on Venus come from? I've never seen that before and would like to look at more images in that set. Zorgon can you point me to where you found it?

thanks

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by atzmaz

It's a Magellan (amazing how they changed the poor guy's name, the original name is Magalhães) photo, that I found identified as "f45s019" here.

To make things easier here is that photo.
(Click for full size)

It doesn't look like a contrail now.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowhawk
I think, however, that it is merely an imaging artifact. I have seen similar effects in other digital images.

Could you please find and post those images? It would be very much appreciated if you did.

I have yet to see a green cloud of dust in any other surface-based picture of Mars. It would be good to get another one in here for comparison.

Another strange thing about his cloud is that it stayed green even when the image was adjusted to what Mike Singh approximates to be true colour (based on the rover's dial).

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

For Comparison sake and since this image is on the other page, I shall repost:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Could that possibly be vegetation
Just throwing out that possibility.

Nice find Zorgon. S&F!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by atzmaz Zorgon can you point me to where you found it?

Yeah in about 20 threads
but the main one is in the Venus thread
Will the Real Planet Venus Please Stand Up!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

My page on Venus images
"This is a very detailed image of Lada Regio"
www.thelivingmoon.com...

University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR), University of Michigan
"This is a very detailed image of Lada Regio"
University Link

[edit on 9-9-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Or, do you prefer to play games and ridicule others?
How about doing something useful for a change, and looking for more examples of this "green" whatever-it-is, up there on our lovely Mars.

Good idea

About time we see YOU do something useful for a change...

Let's see your 'useful' threads and input... rather than your constant deriding of everyone else's 'fun' Its getting old very quickly

And I am sure if he did show you other examples of the Green Smog you would attack that as well...

Only one thing to say to you

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
hmmmm, methane, wow, start sending some methane fueled cars now, so the aliens will have something to drive.

that will definitely bail out the car companies, now we can get some of our tax payer dollars back...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

like that pic.

that is what will get our money back from the car thingy bailout stuff

some better advertising those guys will be sucking up the methane powered vehicles

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join