It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Having baby at home seen as safe option

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Now that is scary!

It's nice being a man I tell ya

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by brocket99

You make a good point I didn't have insurance with my second child it was self pay. The dr. understood he took care of many self-employed country people who may not have insurance. Costs were kept low and we made payments. Even for office visits my country dr. kept it cheap. He would give me free sample meds at no extra cost saving me a prescription. He was an old fashion dr. much like our dentist. An advantage of small town life. We get good enough care at a lower cost.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Hospitalization for child birth is a fairly modern thing.

Two of my sisters were born at home and there is still a large population of people on this planet that were born at home.

I am not pro or con I am just making an observation.

I think that decision has to be made by the woman giving birth.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I can attest to the fact that I was very glad I was in the hospital for the birth of both of my children. I wanted a natural birth with my daughter, with no pain meds, but that all quickly changed when I became dehydrated from vomiting because the pain was so intense.

I did end up getting an epideral, but halfway through labor, my duaghters heartbeat became irratic and reached a point where they had difficulty finding it. They rushed me in the OR to have an emergency c-section. She recovered quickly, but the doctor told me there was no way she would have survied a long delivery. I had been in labor for 12 hours and my cervix had only dialated to about 6 cm.

Back then (1992), the insurance companies had a rule that stated the mother had to try for a natural child birth even if she previously had a cesarean. My doctor was so angry about this because he felt that in my case, it would be dangerous. He ended up being proven correct. Labor with my son was progressing alot better than with my daughter.

However about 10 hours in suddenly felt wierd and everything seemed to be in a tunnel of some sort. I remember the nurses running around and yelling questions at me, but my mouth wouldnt work. Then my doctor was there talking to me, but it was like he was fading away. I remember feeling like something was very wrong, but I felt no pain and couldnt figure out what it was.

I was rushed into another emergency c-section, and it was then it was discovered that there was a large tear in my uterus from my previous c-section. My son was trying to come out through that hole! (He has always been one to do things differently!
) We both recovered well, although I was in the hospital for a week afterwards. My doctor told me that if he hadnt been near my room that my son & I could have died, and that we would have most definitely would have died had we been at a birthing center with a midwife.

I think it is wonderful that some women can experience childbirth in the comfort of their own home. However, there are some of us who end up having complications that are quite unforseen. I was in great shape, and ate extremely healthy. Statistcially I should have been one of the women to have a normal delivery. Instead I ended up being one of the cases my doctor presented to the insurance committee to change the rule about having a mandatory natural delivery after having a c-section.

I am glad there are options for women on how they want to experience childbirth. There is no right or wrong way to do it. All that matters is what is most comfortable for the mother.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Thank you all for your wonderful replies, its quite even-sided so I guess it all comes down to whatever makes you feel more comfortable

I also would like to make a quick apology to calihan_12, I can sorta see what you are trying to say but what is natural when it comes to humans? Is typing messages into keyboards natural, I think not.

But anyhow I shouldn't have took it personally and I do apologies, we are all entitled to our viewpoints, what can be right from one persons view, could be totally wrong on the other side. It must just come down to our own personal experiences.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join