It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See Baby Discriminate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

See Baby Discriminate

www.newsweek.com

That leads to the question that everyone wonders but rarely dares to ask. If "black pride" is good for African-American children, where does that leave white children? It's horrifying to imagine kids being "proud to be white." Yet many scholars argue that's exactly what children's brains are already computing. Just as minority children are aware that they belong to an ethnic group with less status and wealth, most white children naturally decipher that they belong to the race that has more power, wealth, and control in society; this provides security, if not confidence. So a pride messa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
A disturbing piece by Newsweek that basically reduces "white people" in to snarling beats that cant help but be racist. The amount of generalization and out right racism in this article is almost more than my head can take.

Its a 6 page article, so you have a bit of reading to do, but I'll summarize it the best I can.

Its basically about a study that asked young children and babies their feelings on different races. Of course, only white kids are singled out as choosing "bad" choices. Near the end of the article it even concludes that "white pride" is a bad thing since white people obviously only have pride because they see themselves as "dominant". Everyone else has pride based on love of culture. The article even suggests white kids need to be taught "white guilt" as early as possible.

The article also points out that the study was done in a "diverse school full of liberal parents". They actually try to suggest that its almost genetic for white people to discriminate other races.

This is just one more example of how the media and left wing culture in this country seems to be setting the stage for a whole new era of racism. I've never hated anyone else, but since my skin color is white, I've been targeted. Especially if I don't agree with Obama or so called "progressive" policy.

What the hell is going on and when will people stand up and demand that this race hate mongering end? I get the feeling most people are too scared.

www.newsweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Small children and babies?

How do you ask a baby to tell you how being different is? And a small child?

Come on now.

I mean I am white, I don't necesarilly think it is something to be proud of, wehther I was black or orange or blue.

It really comes down to are you a good human being. These class distinctions that people make only keep us back as ar race.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Shouldn't this article have drawn the conclusion that we shouldn't have pride in our race, but in our culture? Culture can be shared...race...can't. Newsweek is a liberal mouthpiece, and as a child I had many black friends and had no idea that we were different until I grew up and was told that apparently my race is the evil one that keeps him down...our friendship dissolved, I wouldn't say because of race, but because of different interests...but once that idea is placed in your head...not by genetics, but by society, it's hard to shake. Newsweek can go bankrupt...it's already morally there.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Dude a child can be racist if the parent happens to be racist

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Any study only involving 6 families is not a study. That is asking a few people some questions.

Second, any answer from a child is going to be skewed, because many are bound to answer in a way that they think will get the most attention or shock value.

Article is pretty silly.

lets take this section:

How do researchers test a 6-month-old? They show babies photographs of faces. Katz found that babies will stare significantly longer at photographs of faces that are a different race from their parents, indicating they find the face out of the ordinary. Race itself has no ethnic meaning per se—but children's brains are noticing skin-color differences and trying to understand their meaning.

Children can only see black and white at that age. For all they know the kids just like the picture.

And, babies stare at people who are different from them. Period. Could have nothing to do with race.

This study is about as accurate as me surveying my backyard and declaring there is no such thing as marine animals.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Dude, read the article. You completely missed the point.

The article makes a point that this study was done in a "diverse liberal community". Its as if they want to imply the racism is genetic. As if white people just cant help themselves. They ignore the results of the test on minorities and then go on the claim pride can only be had by non-whites.

reply to post by nixie_nox

Article is pretty silly.

Its more than that. Just imagine if this article was demonizing blacks or another minority. Replace the things it says about whites with broad generalizations about blacks.

The article is straight up racist hate mongering.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

Did you even read the article? They asked kids questions, which they assumed they understood, there is NO Mention of control questions to see if the kids even comprehended what he/she was being asked. A 6 month old kid is not instantly racist because their parents are racist, nor is a 10 year old kid, or even an 18 year old child...what a failed assumption. This study was done with an agenda to prove a certain result and they found it....it's basically a bunch of horse-#.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I am highly skeptical of any white person who alleges that they "didn't know any differences" between themselves and other racial or ethnic groups when they were growing up.

As a child I was raised by very socially progressive parents but I was still acutely aware that I was different from African American or even Jewish children. I grew up recognizing that I was part of a majority. I would have had to be blind, deaf and dumb to miss that.

What a child MAKES of those differences is what ultimately shapes their attitudes toward others.

The trouble with "white pride" is that it tends to reinforce feelings of superiority and dominance. I don't think white kids should be taught to be ashamed of their race but they do need to learn a sense of responsibility that goes with being part of a majority group.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

The trouble with "white pride" is that it tends to reinforce feelings of superiority and dominance. I don't think white kids should be taught to be ashamed of their race but they do need to learn a sense of responsibility that goes with being part of a majority group.

Part of the majority group? What if you're white and live in Japan? Is white pride still bad then? What happens when whites are a minority in the US?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I am white and I grew up in Houston. The Majority there is not white. Many of my friends were mexican, some were black, My best friend was an olive skined fellow from malta.

So no I don't take "Pride" in my race... however when I got beat up in school for being white I sure did understand Racism. Oh yes I have been refused service, beat up and otherwise "Messed with" for being white.... Most of the time I shrug it off... I mean it does not happen often... but it has happened...

So no I will not feel any guilt for my skin color just as I will not feel any pride for it... It is just something that IS just like my being Male.

Newsweek just wants to make a big deal outta nothing... Maybe the article is biased to further the pro obama hope? I do not know... not that good at speculating....

Just to agree with yellowcard... the newsweek article is horsepucky

[edit on 7-9-2009 by titorite]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I agree basically with the OP

Self Esteem is important, and every aspect of who you are matters.

White kids are being bludgeoned

There is a tremendous History to be taught, amazing cultures to be studied from our civilization and history.

Racial pride can be taught and not be synonymous with racial hatred it can absolutely be done while imparting a belief system that says we have evolved and learned though all cultures to be tolerant and non violent

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
So many of the same mistakes being made. Even when I was a kid I could see this coming. I've always said that MLK had it right, but his followers abandoned his vision in favor of pay back.

There is a segment of the white population that has decided to demonize other whites as some sort of penance for past wrongs. They aren't racist, its those other "white people". Please love us!

All human beings are flawed! Get over it and lets move forward. It bothers me to think of what we could get done, if we could just leave behind this childish need to blame someone for the #ed up human condition.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus

Racial pride can be taught and not be synonymous with racial hatred i

Yes it is synonymous. The term is called a "supremacist". This means you believe your Race is better than all other races. Or on the inverse that all other races are inferior to yours. SO WITH THAT BELIEF IN YOUR MIND YOU TAKE "PRIDE" IN YOUR RACE.

Making you a racist. Well Maybe not you personally...I don't know if *you* take so much pride in your race....
In my book it does not matter what color you are you still bleed red.

Then again me and my generation are born after the 60s. Something I have observed in life is that the older generations seems to have more racial hang ups then the younger one.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by titorite]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What I find interesting is that given a choice, a large majority of minority kids will choose a white doll over a doll that has their skin color. And this is for pretty young children too, and white kids will also choose white skinned dolls. One wonders what sort of slips into the subconscious as a kid develops mentally. What happens to that preference for white dolls?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

What I find more interesting is that this is a news week poll.... Given the experience I have had with kids... I never noticed them to have a color coded preference... Not in dolls or friends...

If you think kids have a racial preference .... then you must not of spent to much time around children.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite

What I find more interesting is that this is a news week poll.... Given the experience I have had with kids... I never noticed them to have a color coded preference... Not in dolls or friends...

If you think kids have a racial preference .... then you must not of spent to much time around children.

Uhh, I just learned this in a child psychology class at my college lol. It was a controlled experiment and a majority of black and other minority children choose white skinned dolls to play with, given a selection of difference skin tones.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
I am highly skeptical of any white person who alleges that they "didn't know any differences" between themselves and other racial or ethnic groups when they were growing up.
I am white and was aware of the physical differences, but didn't have any connotations even remotely associated with racial differences as I was growing up. I was taught that people are people and everyone gets their "fair shake", amounting to the same as "do unto others...", etc. I never looked down on anyone, and still don't... as long as they don't give me a reason to look down. Yeah, my father was relectant to accept anyone not of Irish heritage since the Irish in America were treated so fairly [guffaw] but I was always told that those were his ideas and I shouldn't judge anyone until I knew them or knew of their actions.
But I suppose you'll doubt that and try to call me out or whatever. Those views are still with me- you get one chance to show your intentions and actions and if you betray yourself, that's your problem.

As a child I was raised by very socially progressive parents but I was still acutely aware that I was different from African American or even Jewish children. I grew up recognizing that I was part of a majority. I would have had to be blind, deaf and dumb to miss that.
Apparently you didn't grow up in the Mexican quarter of California. Whites were the minority, in 1975 and still are.
And for the record, what are "socially progressive parents"?

What a child MAKES of those differences is what ultimately shapes their attitudes toward others.

and 'black pride' doesn't try to reinforce some feeling of superiority? The 'cradle of life' is Africa so that itself suggests they are beholden to life itself, no?

Me, I think we're all equal. And if there's a 'black pride' month where we get to learn the history of the blacks in America, 'muslim awareness' where we can learn about religion (in school? gasp), 'cinco de mayo' where Americans get to celebrate Mexico's day of independence... and all those other things, there rightly should be a 'white pride' moment where we get to teach everyone else that us white folk today are not the same as those from years gone by. I take pride in my ability to get along and accept people for what they are and since I am white, that is part of my white pride and I should be able to share it.
I have to be held back because I need to see everyone else's pride?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Meh,.... If you say so. It has just not been MY experience. And I must confess I find the notion of Children being born racist repugnant. Might as well claim that some children are born violent or one up that and say some children are just born evil.

What College do you go to? And have colleges in other countries done the studies? I mean for this to be trully scientific one must include other cultures...not just US melting pot culture....Am I right? I mean I can imagine Schools of higher learning in places like China and Kenya might have different results.....

Then again I still have trouble accept that children are born with racial discrimination based of a college psychology experiment...

I guess time will tell... I mean eventually even phrenology was disproven.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

This would go to my belief that discrimination goes down to a primal level. It makes sense, discrimination is effective when you're just trying to survive in the wild.

Of course it doesn't work so well in a multicultural society.

new topics

top topics

join