It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Barack Obama - Full Speech to School Children Sep 8, 2009

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
I highly doubt it is this apolitical and inspiring when you consider the people he surrounds himself with.

"... After we CRUSH all who stand in our way, we shall begin the good work. Statues
of comrade Lenin will finally replace the vile faces of the traders Jefferson, Washington and Lincoln. Any traders who shall fall in our path and oppose our march to a new era
will face our might!!! We will cleanse the land of this filth, this vermin"...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by crw2006
Not an Obama fan, but the speech isnt bad, if it inspires a few kids to do better then good.

Agree, if it does a better good than bad for the children of the country, then it has my approval... lol, for what its worth

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
A bit nationalistic for my liking. The individual doesn't seem to matter, from what I see.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Maybe you’ll decide to take better care of yourself so you can be more ready to learn. And along those lines, I hope you’ll all wash your hands a lot, and stay home from school when you don’t feel well, so we can keep people from getting the flu this fall and winter.

I think this part is down right spooky and oddly out of place...

Doesn't anyone else?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Maybe you’ll decide to take better care of yourself so you can be more ready to learn. And along those lines, I hope you’ll all wash your hands a lot, and stay home from school when you don’t feel well, so we can keep people from getting the flu this fall and winter.

Doesn't anyone else?

Yes, and at minimum is a really good excuse for them to use. My kids have already started the "I don't feel too good, mom, the school said I should stay home in case it's the flu" business. Grrr.. I wish they wouldn't put things in kids minds like that, it should be communicated to the parents instead.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Doesn't anyone else?

Devils advocate:

Could you imagine if the pork flu becomes an epidemic?

If the ney sayers are in such a tizzy over a speech imagine the outrage that would be if Obama did not preemptively address the issue?

But never the less it could be indicative of thing to come -

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Well... it is a great speech and it WILL inspire every kid...

WOW the president has come to talk to ME, even if my parents are broke and messed up I Can do anything... There are important things I can do...

(all of this in the first 60 seconds when attention is at it's highest the points they will remember most)

Then he says it... You Can even make a ..... VACCINE

President told me my parents might be messed up and VACCINES are very important, one of the most important things I could ever do.

Whole speech designed to have nothing but good to say... But highlights as something great you can do in life would be making a Vaccine... right in the PRIME ATTENTION SPAN

So When the trucks roll out in 2 months, How many of these kids when mom and dad doesn't want them to take the Vaccine will be willing to comply with mom and Dad?

listen carefully tomorrow, that line is timed exactly to the point where kids attention will die, the speech focuses them on themselves there, they will divert, that word will be last in the sentence, it will be enunciated it will stand out there will be a pause and it is right about there thinking of all they can do, that they will begin to loose much of the words of the speech...

Very well written...

Most speeches are written, when written well, to focus your entire mind on a few specific thoughts, when spoken right a few key phrases and themes stick in the mind of the listener.

This is perfectly benign, positive, even inspirational

And every child will go home remembering VACCINES are GOOD and IMPORTANT things to do with your life.

Brilliant... I must admit

Anyone who is a good liar as I am knows the truth...sometimes you say beautiful things for ten minutes to hide some single rotten little point you want to have accomplished...

Every child in America will be reminded tomorrow BY THE PRESIDENT how important Vaccines and the people that make them really are.

What a HUGE thing that is the ONE TIME The PRESIDENT HIMSELF ever talks directly to those kids in their whole lives... He tells them You can do ANYTHING... even, even OMG... you can even make a Vaccine!

With the addition of the free lollipop... these kids are going to be willing to Bat mom and dad out in order to get that shot...

THE PRESIDENT said so... omg, my other DAD, my leader the most important man in the whole wide world thinks Vaccines are GOOD

Look for the Enunciation of the word Vaccine

Look for the subtle pause to let it register

Understand the science and power of words, they say God created the Universe with a single word. Don't be fooled.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Just a couple issues with this one. Not that it matters.
There are some deep references here fo children in kindergarten. I think he would be better served trying to break it into different groups. What's the rush?
Making the country fail by messing up at school is a hell of a lot of pressure.
I detest the part where he states that HE is working hard to fix the schools and get the computers and all that...how self serving. What a hero. How many volunteers do that same work Mr. President? How many are giving speeches to pat themselves on the back. Since you are so quick to take the credit for the efforts of a nation, I hope you keep the same belief when it's time to take responsibility for it failing.
All in all it's a good speech. His WRITER should be proud.
Too much for the whole group and that makes it ineffective. A waste of time and resources.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

If your such a good liar than why should I believe anything you just posted

But I do get your point, and I never even thought of the speech in that perspective. Interesting post!

[edit on 7-9-2009 by tmayhew01]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
let's look at the pauses and enunciation points... the sticking words of the speech if you will.

"so it’s understandable if you’re a little nervous"

It's okay... don't be nervous (president has never spoken to you before never will again so, relax and pay attention)

"I imagine there are some seniors out there who are feeling pretty good right now, with just one more year to go. And no matter what grade you’re in, some of you are probably wishing it were still summer, and you could’ve stayed in bed just a little longer this morning I know that feeling.."

I'm just like you, I understand you... builds the bond, trust

my family lived in Indonesia for a few years, and my mother didn’t have the money to send me where all the American kids went to school. So she decided to teach me extra lessons herself, Monday through Friday – at 4:30 in the morning. Now I wasn’t too happy about getting up that early. A lot of times, I’d fall asleep right there at the kitchen table. But whenever I’d complain, my mother would just give me one of those looks and say, "This is no picnic for me either, buster."

By enunciation these points are emphasized

I'm FROM INDONESIA and just like you, I didn't go to school with other Americans, I had a much longer school day than I was supposed to, I had no choice, my parent didn't like it either....

then he hits them...

I have something important to discuss with you. I’m here because I want to talk with you about your education and what’s expected of all of you in this new school year.

This is expected of you by ME the President the most important man in the whole world... long hrs, hard work, unhappy parents with the situation but you need to do this for me the President

I’ve talked about your teachers’ responsibility for inspiring you, and pushing you to learn. I’ve talked about your parents’ responsibility for making sure you stay on track, and get your homework done, and don’t spend every waking hour in front of the TV or with that Xbox.

Don't spend EVERY waking hr in front of the TV or X-box

in short, when not in school being responsible, it's okay to play some X-box or watch some TV... it's a direct sales pitch for x-box and TV This is subtle cuing, you'll be working harder, longer hrs, your parents will be held responsible if you don't so will your teachers... when not doing those things X-box and TVare appropriate behaviors

This is what kids do when not in school and being responsible they watch the PROGRAMS and CONSUME X-boxes

But at the end of the day, we can have the most dedicated teachers, the most supportive parents, and the best schools in the world – and none of it will matter unless all of you fulfill your responsibilities. Unless you show up to those schools; pay attention to those teachers; listen to your parents, grandparents and other adults; and put in the hard work it takes to succeed.

Parents, schools, teachers... None of it matters unless you fulfill the responsibilities given to you.

You must do, you children must do what we ask of you

You have hard work ahead

TI want to start with the responsibility you have to yourself. Every single one of you has something you’re good at. Every single one of you has something to offer. And you have a responsibility to yourself to discover what that is. That’s the opportunity an education can provide.ext

Here's what I WANT YOU TO DO

the build is over...

trust has been established

he has something really Important... nothing matters do as you told you...you children have something you can offer, something we need you to do.... I the president want you to do something very IMPORTANT!!!! For YOURSELF when we tell you to...

Maybe you could be a good writer – maybe even good enough to write a book or articles in a newspaper – but you might not know it until you write a paper for your English class. Maybe you could be an innovator or an inventor – maybe even good enough to come up with the next iPhone or a new medicine or vaccine – but you might not know it until you do a project for your science class. Maybe you could be a mayor or a Senator or a Supreme Court Justice, but you might not know that until you join student government or the debate team.

MAYBE a writer... (propaganda ) MAYBE invent the IPHONE (more consumerism)

now notice this

NO MAYBE....

OR A NEW MEDICINE OR VACCINE (Pause)

No maybe there... Propaganda maybe, or Consumerism maybe OR MEDICINE or a VACCINE

Be VERY AWARE listen to the WORDS he doesn't offer to be a doctor or scientist here he says OR MEDICINE OR VACCINE

the after pause...

or MAYBE Senator...Mayor.... Supreme court Justice... these are important things too

This is what you CAN BE... Propaganda, Consumerism or Govt... Maybe, Join the student Govt, become a legislator of others, a snitch...

But the One OR not a Maybe... is MEDICINE/VACCINE

Coincidence... by way the brain registers positives and negatives no...

The rest is horse puckets...

These things are important to the President... Propaganda, consumerism, VACCINE is a DEFINITE... and Govt

the rest....

he mights as well spit at it a line or so later.... sure you can be a cop or a nurse... blah blah work hard...

kids Know what he asked for first, kids know what HE The PRESIDENT thinks is most important... the VACCINE is highlighted as most important in 3 or 4 maybes...

Your past the first minute or two where the kids attention span by study will be effective... the rest is just nice words from here

Pure Brainwashing

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
And for the record

I am not anti anything, i'm not with the govt full of nazis crowd...

I just Hope, that they have a damn genuine good reason for this that the paranoid are wrong, they know something they aren't telling us and they want this damn vaccine for a real reason...

I make no judgment... I'm simply looking at this, breaking it down to what I believe the structure of the speech is and where it's real turn off point is by a child's attention span and what the hardest themes and Main sticking/remembrance conditioning if you will, points a child will receive from this are

and The Vaccine thing, the hard work and other things stand out like a sore thumb.

It is HARD to question that if there is real threat to tell us ahead of time would not panic us, that this IS perhaps the way it WOULD have to be if there was some genuine threat

and it IS easy, very easy to assume that it's all up to no good on their part also.

I make NO judgment call, we have no way of knowing the Facts

Other than... they really want our kids to accept this vaccine...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I have also noticed btw that when Obama is effectively critiqued, responses stop within a thread now... as If those who once argued now have adopted a new strategy, have realized that by fighting more and more people read the responses so now they simply let the thread and points die...

Simply put since he is in charge, less argumentation is better, with no opposition, he can do what he wants, by debate you only give the opposition a chance to make a point and make more people aware, so unlike the past, there is no longer any rebuttal.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
I have another beef'''

It’s the story of students who sat where you sit 250 years ago, and went on to wage a revolution and found this nation.

It was my impression that 250 years ago Public education did not exist. It is also my impression that many of the founding fathers never received formal schooling but did learn to read and write in the home. I know some went to formal schools but not all and none went to public schools.

Also I am not fond of the whole family=country=you thingee...

Still small critiques.

The first public school recognized in the US was the Boston Latin School which educated five signers of the Declaration of Independence, so you're not completely correct. But the majority of the signers were certainly self-educated, privately educated, or informally educated in whatever field their profession was. Those who did receive formal education typically attended Harvard, Yale, or Princeton.

So yes, your impression is correct. In fact, Thomas Jefferson is credited with suggesting a gov't run public school system so that couldn't have happened before the revolution could it? Also from what I've read researching my response it wasn't until the mid 1800's when public education became available to those who weren't already wealthy and connected.

Aside from this historical flub, which could be interpreted differently I suppose, it is a good speech.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by beaverg]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
What exactly makes this a good speech?

Why is the president of the United States addressing impressionable Children 10 yr olds? 8 yr olds? 5 yr olds?

What you believe as a child affects your perceptions as an Adult

He's talking about struggle, working hard single moms, having to get up at 4:30 am to get ahead...

Addressing children as if this is the way it has to be...

Why?

Everyone knows we have been robbed, everyone knows corporate America is vastly underpaying and hiring and this entire "economic crisis" is generated from theft and greed...

So is he coming to our kids saying HEY... I'm going to CHANGE things?

No he's coming to our children and explaining that it's going to be hard...

Status Quo...

In Plain English...

We will continue to bail out corporations not people

We will continue to fight the worlds wars

We will continue to throw away and give away the bulk of American food

We will not be building any new nuclear plants your power will be high

We can build pipelines for Oil from the North but not water

Your life will be hard to pay for us to pay for the world, we will not be getting our jobs back, we will be giving them to help the 3rd world to other nations...

If you want a life you can expect your parents to divorce from financial stress, you must innovate i.e Do it your damn self because we will be GIVING AWAY AMERICA for the foreseeable future and YOU must wake up at 4:30 am like I had to to have those things even though...

We control the most resource rich continent

Despite a stable population growth society

Despite the best infrastructure in the world

YOU CHILDREN.... will have to suffer to pay for the rest of the world because it is business as usual in my administration...

That's what I hear...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Before I read all of mopusvindictus' posts, I had one view of the speech, but now thanks to that excellent analysis I see it differently, much more subtly.

Initially, I though the whole speech sounded like a pitch to poor, black kids to do well in school, i.e. the references to rap music and basketball. How many little white kids aspire to be rappers and basketball players? I don't see how children from middle class America will related to this speech. It really isn't for their consumption, the speech is intended to inspire poor kids in poor homes in bad neighborhoods not to drop out.

That’s great, those kids need the motivation the most. If their parents are incapable of providing it, its good that the President wants to. However, to force all children to listen to it, including 1st through 6th graders, is just overbearing.

But now thanks to mopusvindictus, I also now see the subliminal messages the Dear Leader has for our kids. Really weird how he talks about Flu and hand washing in an education speech.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
It looks great to me.

I was taking the mindset of a first or second-grader and in that space, there were a couple places that I felt a little uncomfortable with:

Wow... how do you take a mindset like that? That's way too cool/cute!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

Well, not to be all race-elitist, but the Asian-American kids are going to do the best, aren't they, with their parents getting them to be scientists, lawyers and doctors. Following that, are the rest of white Americans who were raised properly, a la Lisa Simpson, and who want to make a great future for themselves. Truthfully these kids need no encouragement, because their parents are there for them, and they get all the help they need.

Of course Obama should maybe have included them in his speech as well, but I think he was directing his voice toward African-American kids who live in ghettos and slums and want to take easy ways out, or are discouraged by their parents. That goes for many white kids too who live in rather dredgy parts of NYC and Detroit, for example. Those people are the people that SHOULD NOT BE LEFT BEHIND!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
I have also noticed btw that when Obama is effectively critiqued, responses stop within a thread now... as If those who once argued now have adopted a new strategy, have realized that by fighting more and more people read the responses so now they simply let the thread and points die...

Simply put since he is in charge, less argumentation is better, with no opposition, he can do what he wants, by debate you only give the opposition a chance to make a point and make more people aware, so unlike the past, there is no longer any rebuttal.

George Bush and Ronald Reagan made those same speeches to the general youth too. Maybe not the same words, but the idea is there. IMO, Obama's speech is several hundred times more inspirational, driven, and makes several hundred times more COMMONSENSE than those two. And yet I don't see you referencing them.

I think you should head over to the "biased Obama criticism" board to vent your frustrations.

While I don't necessarily agree with that MASSIVE deficit he's raising, and the taxes that will arise soon, I have to say this speech is pretty darn good and RIGHT.

P.S. There WILL be rebuttal, if your points made are SUCCINCTLY put across, and UNDERSTANDABLE. No one, and I really mean no one, wants to respond to vehement, senseless posts with no logic or real argument but just inner disapprovals of a black President/a President that is DIFFERENT from the status quo, under the faux-argument that they disapprove with his policies.

We're not attacking the President, we're attacking what he DOES. Already, you're arguing Obama's saying... 'it's per usual in our administration'... and really, WHERE are you getting that from? Again, you're attacking Democrats, and an administration that is not run by your dear Bush, and not the POLICIES. Focus please!

[edit on 7-9-2009 by KarlG]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

Thank You...

I hadn't even noticed that one because I looked and kind of timed the speech to the first couple of minutes where I can assume by psychological standars a childs attention will wane

And along those lines, I hope you’ll all wash your hands a lot, and stay home from school when you don’t feel well, so we can keep people from getting the flu this fall and winter.

What the hell is that?

MR OBAMA... Stop treating Americans like dummies, stop feeding our kids subtle hints of coming doom and Address us and tell us why you are really so worried about health and Germs

Stop jerking us around, if as I THINK, this is all about germ warfare and bio preparedness just say so, we are adults we are Americans and we can help our children get through this better than your speech.

The whole thing is riddled, health, flu, vaccines, health care, medicine, bad times, single parent families, having a tough time, time to struggle...

MR OBAMA be a man and tell us what is REALLY going on, you wont have a paranoid and suspicious public if you are just HONEST, learn something from Bush for gods sake and his failures

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join