It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karzai says United States wants to manipulate him

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Karzai says United States wants to manipulate him

www.reuters.com

PARIS (Reuters) - Afghanistan's President Hamid Karzai has accused the United States of denouncing his friends and family in an effort to undermine his own position and make him more malleable.

In a wide-ranging interview with Le Figaro daily, released on Monday, Karzai also condemned a NATO airstrike last week on hijacked fuel tankers, and said he supported a mooted shift in U.S. military tactics in Afghanistan.

Karzai, who is closing in on a first-round victory in last month's presidenti
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Okay so what is this...? Is he upset that I called him out on his ridiculous hat or is this a staged attempt to make Karzai appear to be more masculine and in charge of his country eight years after he was appointed President.?

If he is just now trying to change his political and administrative image in the minds of Afghans and wants to appear independent of US meddling he needs a makeover of his physical appearance as well. Go to the gym...get rid of the robes and lose the Hat.

Any other suggestions on what Afghanistan's President for life can do to become more appealing to his loyal and freightened constituency?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

"It is in no-one's interest to have an Afghan president who has become an American puppet," he added.

I believe that says it all. Apparently, he has been criticized lately for this and he has decided that he better get more vocal.

And then the fuel tanker fiasco happened:

What an error of judgment! More than 90 dead all because of a simple lorry that was, moreover, immobilized in a river bed. Why didn't they send in ground troops to recover the fuel tank?

I agree with him there.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Ground troops...? Well, I suppose it would have been easier to identify the 90 victims and their combat status if they'd been killed by gunfire instead of a firey explosion.

90 or so people were gonna die that day either way...matters not how they die.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Go to the gym...get rid of the robes and lose the Hat.

I thought you were joking before when you said the Taliban was going to use the fuel from the tankers for suicide attacks because all Afghans ride donkeys, so they wouldn't need the fuel for anything else. Now I am convinced that you really are ignorant and possibly even racist if you are serious about how the way this man, in a very different culture than your own, should dress

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Seriously, did he just realized this?

Nothing good comes out of the US, nothing.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I was looking through file photos of Karzai and he dresses different even from his own countrymen...show me a photo of a bunch of guys wearing that robe and that hat...please I want to see this because I couldn't find one.

Please feel free to view my thread entitled, "I Don't like Hamid Karzai's hat" perhaps you can use that thread as a step stool to come down from your high horse.

Hamid Karzai's Hat

In that thread, I suggested that Karzai's appearance is a joke even to his own people and this is the reason they do not respect him; surely even you can agree that denoting explosives in a crowded marketplace in Kabul or firing mortars at the Presidential Palace is a sign of disrespect. His appearance is too soft to be taken seriously as war-time leader.

You can't have it both ways...the Afghans cannot be different from us and the same as us at the same time. Please pick one or I'll have to stalk around and embarrass you every time I see you post.

Perhaps my true motive with these threads is to talk about Afghanistan.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by IDK88]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
This, my friends, is the History of Afghanistan on display for all to see. They don't want us there. They never have. This has happened to every invading power in Afghanistan going back to Alexander the Great.

I'm telling you right now, this is going to spiral out of control.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
What the hell is Karzai still doing in power after 8 years? I thought we wanted to model these countries after US style republics/democracy. We have two 4 year term limits. Of course he's a puppet. That's a perfect reason why.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Is it Afghanistan...or is it Waziristan? Afghanistan hasn't existed since the beginning of time; that's why it sounds ridiculous when people talk about Alexander the Great and Afghanistan

...but Waziristan or Land of the Priest, has been around for quite a while, I think. The oldest home of exile perhaps for a disgruntled servant of a mighty house?

I like keeping the discussion about his place live because our armies are standing at the Gates of Hell and they are about to crush the doorposts and empty the place out. Since Waziristan exists in Pakistan, ours and the Pakistani's army get to go in from both front and back...given 'em the help they need.

Let me ask you this...in your examples about how Waziristan has never been conquered, had the entire world declared war upon it?

The Russians, Indians and Pakistani's are already at war with IT and its only a matter of time before the Chinese trace the unrest in Urumqi to operatives that use Waziristan as a base. More than half the population of the world is at war with tiny little Waziristan...will they survive?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

It's not ridiculous. We're talking about the SAME TRIBES of Afghanis present today that were present for centuries. It is a long standing traditionalist sect system. And they have been there for thousands of years.

I think you might be over simplifying the situation there. As the coalition begins second guessing itself. No one is sure what will happen. But I'm willing to bet it won't be good for us.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

What I am trying to say is that Afghanistan is a modern concept...probably something created by the British; which is odd that so many of you would call the place by the name given it by imperialists scum.

Let's peal back the modern facade in this region and closely observe the ancient connections which bind these people together. Upon which they will rely to overcome what will surely be a massive invasion force coming from every direction in the very near future.

Who are they really...what's their language and religion. Who are their ancestors.

If you can determine the answers to these questions. You will understand why there isn't going to be any retreat and the world will happily lay seige to this place for longer than any of us has left in life.

Hamid Karzai, though is just now trying to act as a ruler...a good war-time chief so that he can lead his forces into the Hindu Kush to rid the world of an ancient problem.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skittle

Nothing good comes out of the US, nothing.

You must be joking. Every good movie. Most good music. The internet. Delivery pizza. Southern fried shrimp and catfish. Texas Hold Em. Just about every video game you like. Michael Jordan. C'mon man. Some pretty bad junk comes out of the US, but you can't be taken seriously when you say nothing good does. Oh yeah, also Jack Daniels and Angelina Jolie.

edit to add Jack Daniels and Angelina Jolie.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by joechip]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Well, as for hats, I think President Karzai has a funky get up. But that is beside the point. He says he is a puppet of the United States and is misunderstood by his countrymen? He has been President since 2001 and that should raise alarms for anyone, about his candor and independence from masters in Washington. His people are still living in shacks and subsisting on crumbs since the coalition invaded back in 2001. The security situation on the ground is absolutely horrible. He is more like the President of Kabul, because of how bad things have gotten since the invasion. It's so bad in the countryside, that he can't even leave the capital without a security blanket.

Why this talk of puppetry anyway? Why hasn't he brought this up sooner? It strikes me as odd, that he would say the US is leaning on him all of a sudden, and he has been in power for over 8 years or so. I think if he wants to save his own skin, he had ought keep reading from the script provided to him by his handlers. If he was a student of history, he would reflect on what happened to Ngo Diem, President of South Vietnam, who was brutally assassinated for not going along with the United States. He has been a whore to the west for far to long and is damaged goods in the eyes of his own people. If he continues to follow the cues from his master's in Washington, he may have a seat reserved for him on the last helicopter leaving Afghanistan, when things become untenable; like the fall of Saigon.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

The Russians, Indians and Pakistani's are already at war with IT and its only a matter of time before the Chinese trace the unrest in Urumqi to operatives that use Waziristan as a base. More than half the population of the world is at war with tiny little Waziristan...will they survive?

Russians aren't at war with the Taliban. In fact ever since the US invaded Afghanistan and Iraq, Russia has been supplying insurgents with modern equipment like night vision, just like the CIA did against the Soviets in the 70s-80s. There's even been rumors of Russian special forces testing new tech which misguided a few American guided air-to-ground munitions.

You must be joking. Every good movie. Most good music. The internet. Delivery pizza. Southern fried shrimp and catfish. Texas Hold Em. Just about every video game you like. Michael Jordan. C'mon man. Some pretty bad junk comes out of the US, but you can't be taken seriously when you say nothing good does. Oh yeah, also Jack Daniels and Angelina Jolie. edit to add Jack Daniels and Angelina Jolie.

...Those things are supposed to be good for the world? Just useless, flashy and false things that aren't important to life at all. In fact, they are detrimental. You want to know why the world thinks the US is a joke? It's because realistic people really don't care about mindless corporate-branded things designed solely for profit.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mitri Dzengalshlevi

The world thinks the US is a joke...? You're not talking about the people standing in lines wrapped around the corner at the immigration department are you? Did you know that millions of people marched in cities all across this country 3 years ago to prevent being deported. Pregnant women risk death cross deserts just to go into labor in America, so their children can have citizenship.

When 2/3 of America's population are immigrants or recently (2 generations) immigrated people, the only thing the world thinks is a joke is themselves.

Your jealousy and hatred for your next door neighbor is bizarre...Canadians have a beautiful country...can't you at least be happy about that? And just think your safe and secure because the Men in America make it that way for you.

Nevertheless...I've decided that Karzai's statements were made to set the stage for when he asserts himself and boots us out his country next year. After we Gut the Taliban/Al Qaeda alliance and you're looking at Osama bin Laden's and Zawahiri's corpses on the front page of the New York Times, we'll want to leave the guy with a little dignity.

As far as the Russians are concerned...I am not sure that is the type of reputation they want...allowing us access to their air space and military installations in the region to ship the troops supplies while at the same time selling weapons and equipment to a bunch of dead men. It's a bit whoreish. Are you calling the Russians whore's who play both sides of the conflict?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

You must be joking. Every good movie. Most good music. The internet. Delivery pizza. Southern fried shrimp and catfish. Texas Hold Em. Just about every video game you like. Michael Jordan. C'mon man. Some pretty bad junk comes out of the US, but you can't be taken seriously when you say nothing good does. Oh yeah, also Jack Daniels and Angelina Jolie. edit to add Jack Daniels and Angelina Jolie.

...Those things are supposed to be good for the world? Just useless, flashy and false things that aren't important to life at all. In fact, they are detrimental. You want to know why the world thinks the US is a joke? It's because realistic people really don't care about mindless corporate-branded things designed solely for profit.

Detrimental? To whom? Anything that brings joy to the world is a good thing in my mind. Good music is detrimental? The only thing I listed that could be detrimental is Jack Daniels, but only if used in excess. And what about the internet which your on right now. C'mon man. Wherever these fun-hating "realistic people" you speak of live it sounds like a Stalinist hellhole to me. No thanks. And why do you think profit-based things are profitable? Because people like them, that's why. And people may not like to like America, but like it they do. And its basketball, movies, music, etc. Get over it, we rock.

edit to add quotes

[edit on 8-9-2009 by joechip]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by joechip

Dude I agree america gives lots to the world with its media and products

I love american guitars-Gibson-Fender-PRS as there still the best built instruments on this planet.wouldn dream of buying a british guitar!

But I am going to have to say you can keep your sports!

Basktball-Our ladies play it over here and its called Netball
Baseball-Our ladies might also play that over here and call it rounders
American Football-kind of like our rugby but with padding and loads of breaks so the adverts can come on the telly

All your sports suck big time,but apart from that and bush jnrs wars your country rocks big time

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

The world thinks the US is a joke...? You're not talking about the people standing in lines wrapped around the corner at the immigration department are you?

No, I am talking about the world. You know, that place that contains 236 different nations of which the US is only one?

Your jealousy and hatred for your next door neighbor is bizarre...Canadians have a beautiful country...can't you at least be happy about that? And just think your safe and secure because the Men in America make it that way for you.

You must be delusional because I am not jealous whatsoever of your country. Your country is a cesspool of ignorance and I'm glad Canadians are smart enough to stay away from the path you're heading.

You think the US has anything to do with helping Canadian security?
If you knew anything about our relationship you would know that we are always weary of your policies and we would never let you impose on our autonomy unless we benefited from it.

If you don't know anything about the massive country bordering the north of your own, then what makes you think you know anything about Afghanistan? Seriously, if you stepped out of the US and all of its media control, you might see for yourself that the world outside is a very different yet acceptable place too.

Are you calling the Russians whore's who play both sides of the conflict?

No, you're the one calling Russia a whore. Have fun when FSB kick your door in

Detrimental? To whom? Anything that brings joy to the world is a good thing in my mind. Good music is detrimental?

Do not even go there. Music is the greatest achievement of man and is totally universal, real music has little to do with the country it's made in. You think Hendrix played a wicked guitar because he was American? He would laugh in your face because he knows what it is.

And you call it joy to live in a corporate culture? Your culture forces you what to enjoy through popular trends. You know what I (and millions of others) enjoy? Going out into the wilderness and exploring life that was forgotten because of mindless American ways.

You know, stimulation is one thing but living your entire lives in stimulation is sad. Americans are moving towards simulation over reality, and the reality is becoming either exploited or oppressed thanks to this.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Yeah and from all 236 some come here to live, raise families and work, some stay, some go home and like I said America is one place where everyone can and does come. When You say America is a cesspool you are making a critical remark of the entire world because that is what America is made of.

I am not aware that your large country with a tiny population can really ever worry about heading down the path America is on and if a country as large as this one was actually about to implode I would worry about the impact it was about to have on my country that is just to the north. Its almost as if your not even from Canada...no countries policies are special enough to negate the collapse of a Hyper Power on its borders. Hell, someone set of a bomb in Mexico and we're doing our job as Good Neighbors to contain the fallout...where is Canada? Are you even a part of this continent?

I am not sure that your Canada's national politics is all that worthy of eumulation...isn't your opposition about to have a no confidence vote concerning the work of your leader? I guess that's what happens in a country that's only concerned with itself and has apparentely built a national identity around how different it is from the United States; some kind of second child syndrome.

And as far as America's direction...it's obvious that you are a consumer of the basest sources of information concerning world affairs and it will be sweet to watch people like you melt into a background of despair and irrelevance once the reality of what has occured in this world is beyond denial and I probably don't have much to worry about the Russians...they are with us on these issues.

What you feel about the world and America appears to be more about what you want it to be as opposed to what it actually is, reading your thoughts is offensive to my most excellent mood. Please stay off my threads in the future.

Good Riddance

top topics

<<   2 >>

join