It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A look at how Washington works — or doesn't

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

A look at how Washington works — or doesn't

cnews.canoe.ca

Democratic Rep. Neil Abercrombie wants to legislate high wages for a massive construction project in the federal territory of Guam, restrict the ability of foreigners to get those jobs and hope Hawaii residents, although 3,800 miles away, will flock there for the work.

One official estimate says that would add $10 billion to the project’s cost, doubling its price tag.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Read the entire article for the whole story, this little snippet doesnt give a good view of what's happening.

Now I actually like this action. This man is trying to make jobs for the unemployed of his state and make them pay well. Albeit that the jobs are across the globe, they are still jobs!

Also, the government side of the story where it will cost double the price tag... I would have to say do it anyway! Isnt this what the "Stimulus" Bill was for? To help the economy and give Americans jobs?!

Matt Rector, a senator on the island as well as the head of the local affiliate of the AFL-CIO, said workers there welcome what Abercrombie’s trying to do because of the island’s dismal economy.

The cost of living there is high because so many products have to be shipped to such a low-volume destination, yet wages are below the national average and people have difficulty finding decent-paying jobs. The unemployment rate is about 11.4 percent.

cnews.canoe.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/7/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Sounds fair enough. I know that Hawaii has been hit hard since no one is traveling. And I have no problem with projects targeting a inside working group.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The plan might work better if the jobs weren't so ridiculously far away. It's fairly typical government "helping". Sometimes they mean well but they're generally out of touch with reality. Most people don't want to travel to the other side of the globe just to get a job, people have families and homes they need to take care of.

I'm sure there are many projects that could be proposed to create jobs here in the States, jobs who's outcome would directly benefit those of us in the States.

join