It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

120 MPG. Getting around in tough times.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I'm lucky to live in a college town, The whole city is laced with trails for joggers and bikers who want to avoid the main roads. You can traverse the city and cross only one or two main roadways.

My son recently decided to take advantage of this, but like his father he tends to be too lazy to pedal his way across town. He invested in a bicycle and a motor to propel it. I thought it was a silly dream of the young, until I went over to investigate the bike for myself.

I was actually amazed.

He bought the bicycle from Wal-Mart for 120 dollars.

He bought the motor from Bikeberry. With shipping and handling it cost him a total of 160 dollars.

He had to assemble it himself.

He gets 120 miles per gallon of gas and can travel at 40 miles per hour.

The bike looks pretty awesome as well.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b9f55294910.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/004108923176.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm tempted to shell out 280 dollars for one of these myself.

I realize a 50 year old man in biker shorts and tights may be an ugly sight to see screaming down the trail at you, but damn. 120 MPG is nothing to laugh at.

For 280 dollars you can cut your gas bill to nothing, Have a blast cruising around town and make a difference for the environment.

I just need to see if I can find one of those WWI canvas caps with the goggles. If I can find that cap, I'm getting one of those bikes.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
That thing is awesome!
I saw your son yesterday, btw.
I admired it then, too.

Edit - Normally I would laugh at such a prospect, but that thing is just cool. Looks nice and can move about pretty well.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Those motorized bicycles are all over Central America. The whole set up is sold all over. I used to have a blog, and did an article about all the different fuel economic solutions which are available there.

Almost everything imaginable can be purchased down there with full factory equipped diesel engines.

I saw:

Ford Ranger(yes the mini kind) powerstroke diesels
Diesel Chevy Colorado's
Kia Motors diesel pickups
Hyundai diesel everything
Mitsubishi diesel everythings
Honda diesels

The list goes on, and on. The point being is they all were extremely fuel efficient, and due to modern tech. the turbos gave them lots of power.

Amazingly like the Chevy Colorado is the same undercarriage as an H3, but in the States they say it'll take years to develop the tech; which already exists down there.

So, down in Latin America the amount, or I should say the degree of fuel efficient alternatives is emmense.

S&F

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
That is neat. When gas runs out, you can still pedal. I'd like a small diesel motor though, high compression ratio, naturally efficient. loved the old 300SD Benz.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
mrwupy, It would be a great investment for you. You would look fine riding your bike. Go for it! It really does look great. I might just look into one for myself.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The bike sounds fun.

But you should probably go ahead and leave off the gay looking bike shorts and multicolor spandex shirts.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones

Almost everything imaginable can be purchased down there with full factory equipped diesel engines.

I saw:

Ford Ranger(yes the mini kind) powerstroke diesels
Diesel Chevy Colorado's
Kia Motors diesel pickups
Hyundai diesel everything
Mitsubishi diesel everythings
Honda diesels

Wow. Is there any way to import these into the US????

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
This device is called "Velosolex"

From wiki:
VéloSoleX is a moped or motorised bicycle that was originally produced by the French manufacturer Solex, based in Paris, France. Founded at the turn of the last century, the company manufactured centrifugal radiators, carburetors, and micrometers, before branching into assist motors and bicycles. Owned successively by Dassault, Renault, Motobécane/ MBK, VéloSoleX sold more than 7 million VéloSoleX worldwide before ceasing production in France in 1988. Production of the VéloSoleX restarted in both China and Hungary after 1988, but production ceased in Hungary in 2002. Today the Velosolex is manufactured in France. The trademark "VéloSoleX" is the property of Velosolex America, LLC. Velosolex America markets the VéloSoleX world wide.

link: en.wikipedia.org...

I remember in the mid 80's. I shared one with a friend of mine. The low gas consumption was nice, but it polluted a lot (dont know if still the case). It was only known as the SOLEX.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
A bad ride beats the hell out of a good walk.

Here's some video for those who might enjoy it.

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Do you need a motorcycle license to ride it on a public road?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I had seen some old guy with one of these at the post office and watched him leave. He rode the thing right onto the highway, which is 55 mph speed limit.

I've seen many bicycles on that highway in the lane on the right. And yet, scooters might not be able to ride on these same roads? I don't get it. I suppose there's a limit and they don't want people clogging up the roads with these.

This one in the video looked like it was too fast for just a bicycle. Watch out for that tree George.

There had been some electric scooters I'd seen last year, but they have a limited range and speed.

I wonder if they make these in a tandem?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

In these parts, unless I'm sorely mistaken, you can actually ride one of these on the interstate, if you so chose.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Thanks mrwupy.... Me thinks I shall invest into this too.... And it could not possible look any worse than my 1986 crown vic.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by aleon1018

In these parts, unless I'm sorely mistaken, you can actually ride one of these on the interstate, if you so chose.

I could actually see that when there's bumper to bumper traffic in some states here. Certain motorcycles aren't allowed on highways from my understanding because of claims of beiing sucked under tractor trailers

Soooo, where are the bicycle tires that never go flat

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Yes these bikes are truly awesome. If you're interested and can afford it there are also fully electric versions available they are much quieter than these small 2 strokes.

www.greenspeed.us...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
Do you need a motorcycle license to ride it on a public road?

No. It's just a motorized bicycle. Still, you might want to check the laws of your state since I'm sure they very.

My kid Eric, who's in the video, rides it because he wants to cut down on his carbon footprint. He gripes at me for drinking bottled water. I tell him he'd be safer in his car but he doesn't listen. Kids!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by red_leader
Yes these bikes are truly awesome. If you're interested and can afford it there are also fully electric versions available they are much quieter than these small 2 strokes.

www.greenspeed.us...

At those prices, I'd need insurance to cover theft. For that price, I'd much rather buy a scooter.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I did some more research and found that my state, Pennyslvania, is pretty anti-motorized bicycle.

Apparently, the motor can't exceed 50cc, the power can't exceed 1.5 HP, the transmission has to be automatic, and the top speed can't exceed 25 mph. Even if the requirements are met, motorized bicycle insurance and registration are still required. Oh, and regardless of all of that, they are apparently illegal to use in state parks.

My advice: Never move to Pennsylvania. EVERYTHING sucks here.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation

My advice: Never move to Pennsylvania. EVERYTHING sucks here.

Pennsylvania is just one state. I'm sure the laws are a bit more liberal the more west you move.

I asked my kid today if he was worried about the police pulling him over or ticketing him for riding on the trails and he said he passes them everyday and they just wave.

I guess the laws in Arkansas are different.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

This is a state where you're required by law to get your car inspected every year, and liquor can only be sold in state-run stores. We gotta buncha uptight nancies runnin' da show ova hurrrr... :-(

top topics

<<   2 >>

join