It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hi I want to grab some Potassium Iodide tablets to have in my stock.

However, over here in Blighty I cannot find them for purchase on the internet....on Potassium Iodine from Kelp...

Is this the same / ok as a good radiation blocker or do I need something else.

Any help appreciated.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

Do a search of eBay (I know), there are a few shops that carry iodide tabs for a good price, the sellers I've found are in the U.S. but they might ship international.

Taking a highly concentrated form of potassium iodide before or immediately after exposure will "flood," or fill up, your thyroid gland with safe, stable iodine to a point where there is virtually no more room for radioactive iodine - the harmful iodine will be ignored and harmlessly excreted.

Source

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Kelp would not be a good replacement, unless taken fresh.

Most of the Potassium would leech out with the water during the drying process, I would think.

You might be able to find liquid seaweed extract at a local health food store, or maybe even capsules - not sure. Not as good as the rad tablets, but it might be a half-decent substitute.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Don't buy the pills, that's a waste of money...Buy Potassium Iodine from a chemical supplier, I paid about $25 for 100 gram bottle.

The dosage for adults is 130mg a day, the dosage for children is 65mg a day. Just weigh it out, mix with water and drink it, if you don't have a scale a 130mg doses is about the size of a pea.

If your trying to figure out the cost it takes 1000mg to make a gram,... 1 gram is 7.7 adult doses.... so 100 grams is approx: 770 adult doses..at a cost of only $25.
Figure out the cost if you purchased the same number of dosages using pills and you'll see this is the way to go..!!

Originally posted by AlwaysQuestion
Hi I want to grab some Potassium Iodide tablets to have in my stock.

However, over here in Blighty I cannot find them for purchase on the internet....on Potassium Iodine from Kelp...

Is this the same / ok as a good radiation blocker or do I need something else.

Any help appreciated.

[edit on 9/6/2009 by KAKUSA]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thanks all - great info.

I am always a little wary of eBay vitamin/drug sellers so the raw-chemical idea sounds promising.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Please do not get this confused with potassium chloride.

Potassium chloride in small amounts is a diuretic.

But in larger amounts it's deadly. It is the main drug used in lethal injections on death row.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Looks like this is what we need to protect ourselves at least partially from the radiation cloud coming to the west coast...

en.wikipedia.org...

Scroll down to Historical use and analysis:

Following the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster in April, 1986, a saturated solution of potassium iodide (SSKI) was administered to 10.5 million children and 7 million adults in Poland[22] as a prophylactic measure against accumulation of radioactive iodine-131 in the thyroid gland. People in the areas immediately surrounding Chernobyl itself, however, were not given the supplement.[23]

With the passage of time, people living in irradiated areas where KI was not available have developed thyroid cancer at epidemic levels, which is why the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported “The data clearly demonstrate the risks of thyroid radiation...KI can be used [to] provide safe and effective protection against thyroid cancer caused by irradiation.[26]

top topics

join