It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question of sovereignty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Imagine, if you will, an extinction level event asteroid, hurtling towards our planet, due to strike for the sake of this scenario, in 2012.

Imagine also, that there exists an alien civilization with the capacity to deflect such an asteroid.

The problem however, lies in the politics surrounding membership of an alien civilization. It has long been policy that their resources are for the benefit of member planets only. Member planets flourish within this alien federation (for want of a better word) under their various single world governments which vary from global monarchies to world wide democracies.

Our alien friends make contact with our United Nations and explain their dilemma. They'd love to help out - but the asteroid has just posed a huge problem. They were going to wait until we were close to achieving a single planetary level of government before offering to induct us into their Federation, but we've now got less than three years before the disaster, and ...

Can we possibly hurry up the process of creating a planetary government? There are benefits to Earth's joining and only a few minor inconveniences. Failure to become a member will regretfully result in all Earth people becoming a carbonized mist sometime in 2012.

My questions to you are ...

1. Is such a planetary government possible in such a short time?
2. How would you feel about taking down your national flag and never singing your national anthem again, instead pledging allegiance to the Terran Federation and the "Alien Federation".
3. Where would our new planetary Capital city be located - bearing in mind that with alien technology, road and services infrastructure as we know it would not be necessary - just a piece of land.
4. Suggested strategies for overcoming resistance by the more "authoritarian" nations and gaining their compliance. Remember that world wide acceptance is necessary for this to go ahead.

For the sake of the argument, I'd also like you to imagine that the aliens are reading these responses and formulating their strategies according to this informal survey of not necessarily a representative sample!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tangotemper

I don't know anything about aliens or pacts, or intergalactic cooperation.

But I do know where the intergalactic treaty organization should be located.

Slapout, Alabama.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I'd think it was a trick cause i could never respect a race that held an entire planet at ransom.

Basically, i'd be fingering the sky as it hit.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
I'd think it was a trick cause i could never respect a race that held an entire planet at ransom.

Basically, i'd be fingering the sky as it hit.

I understand your concern, but what difference is there between an Earth country's immigration policy in terms of preventing undesirables from entering, and an alien civilization's desire to preserve harmony within its own sphere of influence? Surely an indication of a people's ability to work together on a planetary basis would be a good sign of an ability to integrate?

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
First off, any alien group would look at the 'tards running the show here, and conclude we were only a loose group of mindless viruses.

Because if the leadership is that damn dumb, the general population must be senseless idiots.

So there would be no agreement, and really, no reason to save a bunch of retards.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

All i'm saying is that any entity that forced submission upon us with death as the only alternative aren't the guys i wanna be kickin' it with on mars.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
First off, any alien group would look at the 'tards running the show here, and conclude we were only a loose group of mindless viruses.

Because if the leadership is that damn dumb, the general population must be senseless idiots.

So there would be no agreement, and really, no reason to save a bunch of retards.

Possibly, possibly. However, by virtue of their requiring the "tards" to be in charge of an entire planet before offering assistance, and removing a whole range of sovereign nations in the process, do you think that might suggest that the aliens understand that true sovereignty is bestowed by the people? Rather than imposed by the "tards"?

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyo

All i'm saying is that any entity that forced submission upon us with death as the only alternative aren't the guys i wanna be kickin' it with on mars.

Fair enough. I think you might not be alone in that sentiment. Do you really think of it as submission?

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Is it right for a doctor to say i will give you medicine only if you become christian? Multiply that evil by 6.5 billion and that's how wrong i think it is....that's the kind of thing that carries a grudge that follows a guy into the afterlife, ya know?
planetary genocide is hard to forgive.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
There is one thing the aliens could do. Wipe out everyone else and save the Japanese. They're the only orderly evolved around here.

top topics

join