It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bee keeping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I am by no means an expert on this, in fact I have zero experience, but I have been giving this a lot of thought.
There are a lot of benefits to bee keeping, pollination of crops, wax for candles and canning and of course honey.
After locating a hive it would be possible to transfer the hive to hive that you have built with slats that could be pulled away to check on the hive with out to much disturbance.

I couldn't find any videos that had exactly what I was looking for, but I think you you are able to find a wild hive, there is enough in these videos to help you transfer the hive and maintain it. bee keeping videos.

If any one has any knowledge that they could contribute, it would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
You can now buy everything you need online today to start a colony. They send you everything in a kit. I was thinking about starting a colony myself.

www.beekeepingstarterkit.com...

I also have spinal arthritis and would not mind getting stung a few times. Especially in my neck.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by cloakndagger]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
After locating a hive it would be possible to transfer the hive to hive that you have built with slats that could be pulled away to check on the hive with out to much disturbance.

Find a bee in a flower and glue it to the end of a stick, then take your bee-on-a-stick and walk through the woods sweeping the stick back and forth. The strength of the bee's buzz should act as a direction-finding homing beacon for you to follow, and ultimately, locate it's hive to plunder the honey

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This is a great thread...

Anyone want to post the benefits of honey?

I know it has been used as an antiseptic and is considered a "Complete Food" and it will not spoil so keeping it is an easy task..

Semper

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I think it would be quite fun. Especially since bee stings don't bother me. I don't think that, living in a suburban neighborhood, my neighbors would appreciate it all that much.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
This is a great thread...

Anyone want to post the benefits of honey?

I know it has been used as an antiseptic and is considered a "Complete Food" and it will not spoil so keeping it is an easy task..

Semper

www.benefits-of-honey.com...

There is a link to all the wonderful benefits of Honey!

Immune system booster! Natural energy booster, helps sore throats, more importantly eases HANGOVERS! Helps you fall asleep!

It's the everyman drug!

Also bees would be great for guarding your house, you can run from a dog, but not a bee!

Also honey seems like a good thing to have it TSHTF.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Calstorm:

If you are in the States (California?), contact your local Ag Extension Agent. Ask them if there is a Beekeeper Program in your county. That would be the best way to start. Most beekeeper groups are glad to help get you started. You can find out the issues that you will face locally (diseases, insect, chemical and legal). You may have the opportunity to buy used equipment, and to share equipment. Further, you will have hands on help and instruction. If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, this is the wrong time to actively start beekeeping. However, this is a good time to start getting ready to start when the Spring flow starts.

Good luck with it. Beekeeping is an ancient, and enjoyable activity.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Uses of bees wax.
Uses of Beeswax

* Dipped candles
* beeswax foundation (used by beekeepers in the beehive)
* Crayons
* Embalming procedures
* Molded candles
* Beard wax
* Grafting wax
* Lubricants: zippers, windows, drawer slides
* Moisturizing cream
* Baking-sheet coating
* Sealing on jams and jellies
* Carving objects
* Soap making
* Brick floor sealer
* Lost-wax process
* Dental procedures
* Lipstic/cosmetics
*Thread and fishing line coating
*Leather waterproofing
*Fruit coating
*Reconstruction surgery procedures
*Coatings for war-weapons, shells and tools
*Tack cloth
*Polishes
*Wood filler
* Nail/screw lubricant
*Etching glass
* Ukrainian egg designing
* Batik-dyeing process
Not all but some of these could be usefull in a survival situation.

It also contains vitamin E which is great for protecting against and treating weather exposed skin.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking04

Thank you, yes I am in Cali. I'll look into that.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
meh..

[edit on 5-9-2009 by Taikonaut]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
In the States, the Ag Extension program is an outstanding, if overlooked resource, particularly for survival issues. Beekeeping, Animal Husbandry, food storage (canning, freezing, butchering) and preparation, as well as plant production are subjects that can be learned with little to no cost to the individual. (OK, you do pay taxes for it.) Depending upon the location, many other subjects may or may not be available. They can also help you out with those critters that are chewing on your trees/shrubs/yard as well, before TSHTF.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Wonder what type of restrictions there are on bee keeping...or liabilities.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
There are always potential liabilities, particularly in a Lit-friendly place like California. (I am not in CA, but my career choice has engaged me with the Civil Law system in many states, including CA.) Think about it. the OP sets up a nice white stand or two in his backyard. Ms. Smith across the fence finds a yellowjacket the hard way and has a reaction. She isn't thinking about all the members of the Order Hymenoptera that buzzed about her house long before he brought his gentle honeybees in. She KNOWS it was his bees that stung her. Sounds goofy, but it would be far from the first time that scenario played out.

As to restrictions, most state Ag Departments have regulations about the importation (interstate) of bees, to include single queens, due to insect and disease issues. In some states, intrastate movement may be regulated as well. Further, local jurisdictions may have regs on number of stands (hives) that an individual may have. If a bureaucrat can imagine it, there MAY be a reg. It is far better to find out from experienced locals, than to run afoul of an enforcement type with his fine sheet in a ready pocket.

Edi for typo. (sic)

[edit on 5-9-2009 by Viking04]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Bee's are wonderful. The sedate little Europeans are a joy. If your calm and "communicate" with them, you can even let them crawl around on your hand. Lovely creatures.

My folks raised bees forever. I've been considering setting up a super in the back yard.

I really hate that they have to die when they sting. I wish wasp's did!

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Wish I had seen this post earlier .

To find feral hive catch a group of bees that are on flowers who are possibly done with foraging. In the later part of the day release one see which way she flies off follow as far as possible , release another follow and repeat till you fine the feral hive . Search for a term of beeline .

Beesource .com good source for info

Some apiaries will sell a Nuc 3-5 frames for $30-100.

Me and other half are beekeepers . U2U if you want .

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

If your SHTF destination is in the wilderness,you will have to contend with bears.That is a major liability in raising bees!

new topics

top topics

join