It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The secret that will destroy us all

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
get your facts straight sir. Electrical Supply houses stock recycle boxes for large corps. It is against the law to throw away large quantities. Basically you buy this box, it comes with paid mailing, you put the lamps into the boxes and it ships to the recylce plant.

please before you make an ignorant comment do your research first.
www.lamprecycling.com...
www.bethlehemlamprecycling.com...
www.green-energy-efficient-homes.com...
these are just a few. Also recycle centers have a place for the lamps.

nobody wants to make the extra effort, just people like yourself who automatically ass u me. always remember that little word and its true meaning. when you assume you make an ass out of u and me.

you are the problem!

and yes, i do enjoy Canada and Amsterdam a lot better. I have turned my back on my home country until they prove to me it is worth me defending it.

by the way its not just cfl's hat have the merc. All fluorescent lamps have always had the metal. schools have always used these lamps, looks to me you did not pay attention in class as you have not learned how to research, corp offices have always used these lamps. Today's fluorescent lamp's have become more eco friendly then ever before.

now please put your thumb back in your mouth and sit down!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have had these for more than 15 years. No burns, then again I don't use them often as I keep rooms dark most of the time. I have had my shares of migraines, but not related to these light bulbs.

In the past I have thrown them out because I did not know about the mercury. I have never broken one. I also have never broken a regular one.

Now I have one waiting to be disposed at the right place; I will call the city counsel. There are also other types that don't contain mercury. I don't know how they are called or where to get them. Anyway light bubls are also here in Holland a thing of the past.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllseeingEYE
Is their really mercury in these bulbs? If so, says who?

I just looked a a lightbulb, and it says "mercury" on the box. So that might be true

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by arcnaver

GE is the going to be the first company to put those out in about 2010.

The CEO of GE is one of Obama's Czars. He also controls NBC.

Get ready for GE's product to be made mandatory by the end of the Obama administration.

The cost will be so high, according to GE, that it won't be available to consumers at first.

I have a lantern that uses this. The light is a weak blue that gives you a headache. Works to find my way around at night camping and the batteries last forever but you can not read by it or even stand it very long. Instant migraine.

Back on topic -

People seem to have forgotten the studies in the 70's and 80's that discovered the light from fluorescent's is detrimental. Leads to depression and discourages study when used in schools unless you use the very expensive versions that mimic real light. These ones for homes are the old blue light that causes depression, headaches and many other issues.

I replaced, at great cost, all of the tubes at my business with expensive ones that mimic daylight. The positive impact was immediately apparent. For the first couple of days everyone was way more cheerful than normal.

Add that fact to mercury and you get a product that should not even be used. Watch them mandate it

I tried them out and the results were that I found I did not want to stay in the rooms where I installed them and ended up without thinking moving to a space where I had an incandescent whenever I read or work on anything. Now I have a box full of these things and can't find out how to dispose of them. I think we have a truck that goes around once a year but other than that there is no safe way to get rid of them or the tubes from my office. They fine you if you do it wrong but then they don't seem to provide any way to get rid of them so you have to break the law or keep them in storage forever I guess.

CX

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Borag the Horse
reply to post by CX

You threw them into the bin? Isn'y one of the main points in this thread to dispose of them properly?

I didn't smash them, they get boxed up and placed in there. Like i said before i don't want them breaking around me or my kids.

Yes they'll probably get smashed in the garbage truck, but they are fine about handling the broken bulbs whether i smash them or they do.

I'm not fussed what happens to them after they leave here, i just don't want them around my house and kids.

CX.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Law of life, for every gain there is a loss... but the sad fact is that "we the people" get the loss.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The corporate elites only care about how to squeeze every last penny, drop of blood or both, from the common Joe; everything else they do or state reverts back to this ultimate fact. What they tell (sell) the people is nothing more than window dressing in order to lure in the naive, who than buy carbon credits etc to feel better...

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The amount of mercury in those bulbs is so small you wouldn't know it was there...

I'm an electrician, and honestly... They last 3X longer, run a quarter as hot, and use a quarter of the energy a regular 100W lightbulb would..

Now, Phillips is making an LED bulb that goes into the same socket, and has no mercury at all..

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

AshleyD posted a thread on this subject some time ago. There's some good information in there.

-Dev

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It's no secret. lol

This is old news.

I remember having mercury in our old thermometer by our side door when I was a kid.... didn't destroy us though.

I think the forum tittles here on this site are a bit over dramatic.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
use LED lights, much less energy and "IF" they burn out you can pull out the two wires, crush them up into sand again and sprinkle them on your favourite beach.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Buy LED lamps!

Last longer (you will urn back the higher costs) more eco friendly.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkipStorm
This all seems a bit ridiculous. If they are as dangerous as people have said they wouldn't be sold. Scientists/Governments aren't trying to kill us! If it was found that there was a significant risk involved with them they would be pulled. Nonetheless an interesting topic. I've dropped a few of these energy saving globes and no poisoning around me
People have been exposed to all kind of crap before, Mercury can't compare to some of it. There not going to kill us, the world isn't going to end in 2012 and the government won't chip Americans

[edit on 5-9-2009 by SkipStorm]

Are you for real and not being sarcastic?

I have early-onset arthritis at 40 and I also have growing memory problems.

I suppose I should not blame the legion of vaccines I was given as a child without my choice, or the kindergarten-school monthly concentrated fluoride mouthwash sessions I also had no choice in, etc etc

So I should not blame them, even though genetically, none of my ancestors ever had these illnesses (better not bring that up). The government is my friend, and I can trust it implicitly. Right.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by grs9769
It's no secret. lol

This is old news.

I remember having mercury in our old thermometer by our side door when I was a kid.... didn't destroy us though.

I think the forum tittles here on this site are a bit over dramatic.

A Bit!

Jesus people are so paranoid, bet they have some/all of these in their home:

Batteries - full of heavy metals.
Kitchen cleaners - chemicals which will burn you.
Plastics - dioxins when burnt or degrade.
etc etc

This "scare" is all about folks been forced to take account of the environmental damage wasteful light bulbs cause and they don't care and want to carry on as before. As I say to my friends some people believe it is their right to be selfish a-holes which to some extent is true. Not when it affects others though.....

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Meh! I used to submerge my hands in mercury back in science class. It was awesome. Hopefully I dont just suddenly die or somthing

The stuff is poisonous, very, but cmon 157grams for a whole street?? Thats like less than half a teaspoon maybe (guess). You might have to get everyone to take turns holding it for an hour in their hands maybe if you would like to see a little sickness.

Just make sure they dont eat it coz then you will have to buy more bulbs!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
If there's one thing you should look out for, it's the old T12 (Fat tube) lights... They have a lot of mercury, and the ballast (A small transformer that shoots the electricity through the tube) Is filled with tar containing cancer causing PCB's.. And when they get hot, the tar melts, and drips out..

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Yeah youtube the official "clean-up" video for those its ridiculous. Glen Beck also demonstrated how were told to dispose of broken ones its hilarious! I mean really do people really think theyre gonnna save THAT much by switching light bulbs! As previously stated LEDs would be the most efficient change. Thats what theyre doing in tail and headlights on cars.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by doctorvannostren

I save around 15 dollars a month, every month.
The first months savings almost paid for them!

I bought them for a DOLLAR a piece on sale with a coupon.
Did almost the entire house.
I've never replaced a one of them in years now! (CFL)
By all means pay more if you want to!
If you all are worried about mercury, DON'T EAT FISH!

(Take an omega3 capsule instead, your body wont know the difference)

With all that money I save I can afford to see a doctor for
mercury poisoning, if by a slim chance that were to ever occur...

[edit on 7-9-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
My flat has many of these... Girlfriend heavily pregnant..... time to rethink lol

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ukman2009

An easy solution.
Change the bulbs for her when they burn out and dont let her eat fish.
Next?

[edit on 7-9-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
What? This is crazy! I had never heard about this. Thanks for the info.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join