It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any antique sword enthusiests?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Hey,

A few years ago I inherited three swords and a bayonet.
One sword is a P D Luneschloss Solingen shortsword.
One is an unmarked "Wristbreaker" cavalry sword.(I believe)
but the third I am having trouble identifying..

I have a malfuntioned SD card for my camera so I cant take any pics atm.

On the said sword there is one marking on the blade and three on the hilt. The mark on the blade reads as a backwards C vertical slash C

)l(

The slash is longer than the C's

This mark is also on the hilt, on the top, hand side of the handgurd.
There is another mark next to this one wich is small and hard to elaborate.

The other mark is also very hard to elaborate on, wich is located on the opposite side of the handguard from the last two.
The two unreadable marks almost appear as an oriental character. But it is too hard to tell.

The hilt is bronze guilded with flowers, the "ear" is engraved with a 5 petal flower, this flower is also on the top of the grip near the pommel.

The grip is an amber wood roped with braded bronze wire. giving a pinched leather appearance. The top of the grip is covered with bronze.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? these have been sitting in the attic and i would just like to know more about them thanks.

CX

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Sorry i can't help at all, but could i point you in the direction of this site...

Sword Forum International

Thats the antique and military sword part of the site, you may get a few helpers there.

Hope it helps.

CX.

CX

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Take a look at this thread on there.....

Need Help ID'ing German Sword (P.D. Luneschloss)

Sounds similar, might be a start anyway, they are pointing towards it being an artillery sword.

Good luck.

CX.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Thanks CX I didnt get around to registering there, and I actually came across that thread while googling. That is the sword I have His is in better condition though. I registered there now and hope to identify the sword above thanks.

CX

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
No probs,

You might find this interesting if you're looking into the history of the swords....look down this pdf and you'll see the diferent makers marks from Solingen.

P D Luneschloss Solingen has a logo there further down the page...

www.straightrazorplace.com...

Manufacturers and Logos
The table below gives a list of the (mainly) Solingen cutlery firms with their logos and RZM code, wereknown, from World War 2.

From 1933 to 1936, the edged weapon manufacturers of the Third Reich placed their logo (or maker mark)on the reverse of their blades. In 1936, manufacturers reluctantly began to replace their logos with the codes assigned to them by the RZM Office. RZM is short for "Reichszeugmeisterei" and Zeugmeisterei
means quartermaster.

The RZM code was used on political blades only and was not used on military blades. Maker marks continued to be used on Army, Navy and Luftwaffe edged weapons until blade production ceased in 1941
(swords) and 1942 (daggers)

It's an interesting history of the knife and sword making in the area. I read the whole document and found it fascinating.

Thanks for the introducing me to the subject.

CX.

[edit on 5/9/09 by CX]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I would try contacting your local university's history dept or a museum ,someone there is likey to be able to send you in the direction of an authority of the proper nature. One thing Ive found is that sword guys are usually pretty specific in their knowledge.

As a personal reference to maybe narrow it down for yourself, try finding a copy of "Swords and Hilt Weapons" Micheal D Cole 1989 isbn# 1-56619-249-8
Its a barnes & noble coffe table book, but is a very good general source of information on sword types, foe the layman.

Also might try to find a fencing ot theatric fencing dealing in your area, you might find a line on a knoledgable collector.
Try also looking for antiquities dealers in your area one one them might be just who you are looking for.

WHAT EVER YOU

DO DONT CLEAN THEM

leave that for a professional preservationist.

If you already have thats too bad, cause they likely lost a good deal of the value.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The five petal flower makes me think of the Imperial Chrysanthemum, which would indicate Japan. The IJA did issue 'western swords/sabers', so that may be a possible lead. That you see a possible Oriental character or two gives it a bit more weight.

Good luck with it.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I have a smaller sword used in ritual suicides, forget the name of it, waka something or other.

new topics

top topics

join