It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana 2nd Ammendment tax free weekend spawned by "Imminent Peril to Public Welfare"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This is a repost of a thread I ran in introductions last nite when I had still not attained the necessary 20 postings to start my own thread so I apologize upfront to all offended. However now that I am legit I would appreciate some fair analysis on the subject.

I was quite excited to hear that this weekend in the state of Louisiana you could purchase firearms and other hunting type apparel tax free as part of the 1st annual 2nd ammendment tax free weekend.

I needed a new rifle case for my AR-15 anyway so I headed up to the local chain sporting goods store where I was greeted by an attendant at the door with information on all products covered. He asked me if "I was a 2nd amendment kind of guy" To which I relpied "I am very much a 2nd ammendment kind of guy.

I headed home with my new case in hand and it occured to me just what had brought about this "holiday" if you will. Imagine my surprise when I discovered LAC 61:I.4425. It appears that this action was based upon a state declaration of emergency which states verbatim "the secretary hearby finds that imminent peril to the public welfare exists". It does not however go into the source of this imminent peril and why we are being nudged in the direction of asserting our 2nd ammendment rights but I dont think it would take too much imagination to figure that one out.

Read the document yourself and you be the judge.

revenue.louisiana.gov...

[edit on 5-9-2009 by WWJFKD]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Very interesting, I hope someone with more knowledge can help expain why this happend in more detail. Since our state has no taxes for purchases, not sure what they would come up with .

It could be a way to get people to spend cash.. boost econemy, or could be something much grater.
I am going to keep a close eye on this thread..

Or maby the ones in power in LA know whats coming with the colapse of the dollar and are trying to get their people ready and prepared for chaos.

Not realy sure what to make of it..

Thanks for bring this up, very interesting.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Its just another piece of the puzzle that something is getting ready to go down. There are some good guys at the top , close to the enemy , that are trying to help the general population not the elite. Great post . s&f

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I think an emergency rule from an agency like that is used to side step the normal review and public comment period that most administrative regulations go through. Almost all states and the federal government have something similar. Eventually rules get reviewed and codified as part of a government's set of regulations, unless it's a "one shot" sort of regulation, with a time frame, like this one. My guess is that the Louisiana legislation, along with most government legislations, are on summer leave.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks for the responses thus far. This may all be on the up and up. I would really appreciate a (believe it or not) more liberal analysis so that this can be looked at objectively. I just have trouble getting beyond the verbage of the declaration, and the agency which it falls under. If it is a revenue emergency why cut the tax. My most not (doom and gloom) analysis is that the economy is about to be so bad that they are urging residents to prepare to hunt. It could however be something far worse. Thats why I bring this to your attention because ATS is a great place to hash this kind of stuff out.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

I would be inclined to agree with you but why the verbage of the declaration. The secretary believes a condition of imminent peril exists threatening the public welfare. What kind of imminent peril is put down with guns and hunting supplies?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Jindal supports Second Amendment rights in Louisiana!

by Elwood Earl "Sandy" Sanders, Jr. on July 15th, 2009

More good news from the Shreveport Times:

Besides the tax credits, Jindal signed:

* SB 52 by Sen. Rob Marionneaux, D-Livonia, which authorizes an annual “sales tax holiday” for the purchase of firearms and supplies during the Second Amendment Weekend (first consecutive Friday-Sunday in September). Jindal vetoed a House bill that granted a second tax-free gun sales three-day period after Thanksgiving.

I think it is a great idea to give the state’s endorsement to self-defense and gun rights. Supporters of the Second Amendment will find a friend in Governor Jindal.

Above story source
jindal2012blog.com...

Thats all fine and good but it still doesn't explain this
revenue.louisiana.gov...

I've seen alot of hype to get out and participate but not a peep as to what brought this about other than the above declaration, which required a bit of searching.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Is there anyone here who doesn't think there is a story here? This is what I want to know. Can anyone make sense of this or is it really just bad. I was really hoping to get some differing opinions from people not opposed to being challenged on the subject.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

Wow ... imminent danger, that strikes me as an odd way to start a tax holiday ... good find

whats even weirder is after sifting through a few pages of legislation i still cant find why a state of emergency would be called for

[edit on 5-9-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WWJFKD
Is there anyone here who doesn't think there is a story here? This is what I want to know. Can anyone make sense of this or is it really just bad. I was really hoping to get some differing opinions from people not opposed to being challenged on the subject.

It COULD be a flexing of political muscle - political posturing - "pandering/rewarding" the 2nd amendment conservative culture - promoting business revenue...

could be that the claus/declaration is being misused in an innocent manner-

Just throwing out some ideas -

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracyrus

I'm with you buddy. I try to hold off on a post until I have something intelligent put together, but I am drawing a big question mark on this one. This post hasn't met with any coherent resistance and that is even more troubling becauses ATS'ers can pick apart anything with facts. Thanks for the response.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Good point but what is your feeling on the verbage?
"Imminent threat to Public Welfare"

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This is pandering, straight up.

It just confirms my suspicions that Jindal will do anything to be re-elected and/or elected to something more influential than Governor in 2012.

Do any other states declare a tax holiday in support of the 2nd Amendment? It's possible I suppose. I'm just curious.

Believe me, I'm not against the 2A, just political stunts in general. After Katrina I know few LA residents that don't look to their personal security and in these difficult times I suppose a tax holiday will help.

Though I do hope everyone paid cash for their ammunition...

[edit on 5/9/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Thats awful, but I have to say that given the alternatives I would almost hope you were correct in your opinion, because quite frankly the alternatives would not be near as pleasant.

So we have pandering - best scenario. Unfortunately based on an opinion (lets be honest)

Or the economy is about to degrade to a level in which we may need to hunt to survive.

Or TPTB are coming to take our guns away and its time to fight.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

reply to post by mental modulator

Good point but what is your feeling on the verbage?
"Imminent threat to Public Welfare"

Well Welfare approx. means - HEALTH - PROSPERITY - OR GENERAL WELL BEING

If we take prosperity, it could indicate that this was of economic motivation.

It could be an economic Stimulus if you will, done on a long weekend -

It could also be an attempt to reenforce anti washington sentiment and fear,
which COULD benefit Jindals party...

just ideas

Or maybe some states wanna go to war with the FED???

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

reply to post by kosmicjack

Or TPTB are coming to take our guns away and its time to fight.

Just my opinion, but what would be gained by taking guns away? Especially right now?
That would just make the tension worse and likely create a war, does not make sense to me as a valid option. Second, would physically do the taking? I think NOPD would laugh at the orders as would a majority of military personnel.

Once again I think that is the least valid notion IMO-

Now maybe new facts about swine flu???

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Ok so basically were all guessing here. I have looked high and low and can find little to nothing on this. New Orleans local news brushed off the news tip (to be expected). I guess its best to just keep it in mind for future reference - becuause it might just be that some states are preparing to do battle. I heard elsewhere that they did something similar in South Carolina if memory serves but no declaration of emergency there.

Related - Mississippi passed legislation recently which would make it unlawful for any state official to take part in the disarmament of the citizens of Mississippi.

billstatus.ls.state.ms.us...

And then of course Texas is abuzz with talk of Sovereignty or Secession

www.examiner.com...

Sounds like the South is getting pretty uppity if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Sounds like the South is getting pretty uppity if you ask me.

Me too, I think at the high up state level the strategy might be to FURTHER screw up Obama's image/presidency. They might stare him down, but I think they know damn well we do not need a civil war nor do I think they REALLY want one. Such an act would not only kill countless, it would also officially put us in third world status fairly quickly.

No matter your politics i does seem that REACTIONARY is the new trend

READY< FIRE< AIM if you ask me

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Well I appreciate any input. I'm gonna keep an eye on this one from a local perspective and if anything pops I'll get it up here quick. I really want to know whats up with this beyond an educated opinion. If this is in fact political posturing I may be sick. I have alot of faith in human kind - whether we deserve it or not.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

Me too, I think at the high up state level the strategy might be to FURTHER screw up Obama's image/presidency. They might stare him down, but I think they know damn well we do not need a civil war nor do I think they REALLY want one. Such an act would not only kill countless, it would also officially put us in third world status fairly quickly.

I disagree completely.

We have enough documentation to prove CIA/military involvement in massive drug smuggling since the 1960's. All this time this government has been putting our citizens in jail for involvement with drugs.

We have enough documentation to prove that the US government has consistently overthrown democracies and set up dictators or Vichy-style governments. During this process we have engaged in torture (the actual practice of torture goes back at least as far as Vietnam), death squads, disappearances and every other form of state-sponsored terror. Since 1946, the US has been training the military of Central and South America nations in the US tactics thru the "School of the Americas". All this time, the US government talks of Making-The-World-Safe-For-Democracy.

We have documentation that proves "Gulf of Tonkin" incident was a lie. In fact, Admiral Jim Stockdale was one of the pilots flying cover for the Destroyers Maddox and Turner Joy. He wrote a book and states that there was no attack whatsoever on August 4, 1964. Released NSA files agree. Almost 60,000 Americans and several million Vietnamese died for this lie.

We have documentation that proves that the joint chiefs approved an operation called Operation Northwoods to commit terrorist operations inside the United States. This plan called for hijackings, bombings and exploding remote control aircraft -- then phony evidence would blame the terrorist acts on Cuba. Kennedy refused to carry out the plan.

We have documentation of Operation Mockingbird from the CIA. This operation has worked to control and utilize the mainstream media to disseminate misinformation and propaganda. They also use US reporters to collect intelligence overseas.

We have documentation to prove that several trillion dollars was missing from pentagon accounts on September 10, 2001. We have documentation to prove that elements of this government carried out the false-flag operation on 9/11. This attack was used as a stepping stone to launch aggressive wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. The "laws" passed since this attack have largely destroyed the Constitution and Bill of Rights. We have completely destabilized the middle east, killed in excess of a million people and watched the treasury being completely looted. Now the pentagon is "requesting" to put almost half a million troops on America's streets.

Our government has been working against our ideals abroad for many decades. Now they are bringing the terror home to us. If these massive government crimes are not just cause for the total breakup of fedgov -- what is??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join