It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commentary: GOP's problem with Hispanics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
GOP's problem with Hispanics

David Iglesias, the former U.S. attorney for New Mexico, is a cautionary tale for young Hispanics who think the road to political power leads through the Republican Party.

If so, it's a road with a lot of potholes.

Iglesias went from the GOP's golden boy to its whipping boy -- all during one administration. When the former Navy lawyer was appointed by President George W. Bush, Iglesias was thought to be a symbol of Republican inclusiveness and someone who might help lure Hispanic voters to the party.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
What's really surprising is how and why Bush got so much of the Hispanic vote when he ran for office in the first place. I know a lot of Hispanics are rather conservative but there was, and is, little effort made by Republicans to win their vote through their policies or philosophy.

Iglesias would have been better off running as a Democrat. Wonder if he's thinking of switching sides? I'm sure the Dems would welcome him on board.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised.

He got the axe unfairly, in my opinion, by Bush when it occurred in '06.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
In my opinion the reason the GOP has thrown the Hispanic vote under the bus is for purely racial reason. How can the GOP court the Spanish vote while constantly fighting raising the minimum wage. Hispanics large families with lots of kids working in the fast food/hotel/construction industry for minimum wage breeds resentment against those that try and keep the wages down. It's not rocket science.

Sadly the GOP has chosen to become the party of angry old white men. Unless they change and actually get some kind of platform/agenda and stop just running negative spots; they will always be the minority party.

It could change however if the GOP could field a moderate, charismatic
Young person that doesn't exude hate that has come to typify the GOP of late.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by whaaa]

new topics

top topics

join