It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A child died that goes to my childs school-

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well my paranoia level just went up a notch with a death of a child at my child's school. The news reported this morning of the death of this child and the news reported the death was due to Swine Flu. I called the school and asked them some questions and they said the boy's death is not confirmed to be in result of the Swine Flu. I am having a hard time believing that it is not.

The story goes that he was taken to the hospital last night, sent home, then died this morning in between waking up and getting ready to be taken to his regular doctor.

I am seriously considering home schooling.

Is anyone else considering taking their children out of the public environment? My daughter has immune deficiencies and she has a hard time fighting off things that others do not. Here in my county there are a confirmed 21 cases of the Swine Flu. The largest city which is 30 mins from me has over 100 confirmed cases. I have controlled my worries until now....after hearing about a death of a child that goes to school with my child (same grade even)....my alert levels are through the roof!

Am I over reacting> Isnt it better to be safe then sorry?

God bless this boys family...my heart is in sorrow for them.

LV

[edit on 31-8-2009 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Does anyone have any experience in home schooling?

How has that worked out for you if you do?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Depends on the state you live in. Should be able to to a search and find info. Also your school district may have info also.

My son is six, wife and I are thinking the same thing.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It isn't fair for any member to say that you are over reacting, it is concerning but I would say that your emotions are screaming threw your thread. I am the father of two boy's, I live my life around them as they have earned that but I don't think I would lose it yet.

Home schooling might solve your problem for a short time but honestly most states have successfully gone after parents that have chosen to do that by sending the CPS & Police to your door harrassing parents with false alligations and threatening them of arrest, fines and or having they're child taken away from them if they don't re-enroll their child back into school.. They found that they can't control you if they don't have access to your child.

Again, I'm hoping that this isn't being used as a H1N1 hype in you area that will set off forced vaccinations because they will show up at the school without notifying parents to give all the chldren at that school shots if it is. You might be able to hide your child for a short time but as your neighbors children are being forced to take the shot, they "Neighbors" will start pointing their fingers at you and reporting you as a parent with a child that didn't get the shot.

Scary stuff. Stand by your morals and ethics

[edit on 06/03/2009 by Rams59lb]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
My brother and I were homeschooled by our mom he eventually went back to public then left. I homeschooled from Junior to Sophmore year.
Learn on your own terms take the tests you have to take and everything will go very well. You just have to deal with the school board and all it's b.s. but well worth it especially now. Don't worry about not being around people his age because they have networks with kids all across the country and some even the world so your kid or children will never be the only one around not having fun.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Go to the home school defence league's web site. They have a section dealing with state law. Don't ask the school for any advice on homeschooling.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by eradown]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Look up The Vitamin D Council - Dr John Cannell M.D. There should be plenty of info on here in BTS, and lots of stuff on you Tube. If your child has Immune Deficiency you would be wise to read up on Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C in high doses. Check for any contra indications concerning your childs existing health issues.

Better safe than sorry.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

You could consider temporarily home-schooling. Depending upon the age, Abeka is fairly good. I'd stop at middle school though (my opinion only, don't sue) because it gets kinda radical in terms of history, economics, and sociology. The math books past 6 aren't the best.

However, for elementary they are EXCELLENT. Better than public.

IF you must homeschool past 6th, get them real history books to augment the Abeka curriculum. I found so many mistakes in their textbooks (I taught at a private school) that I put them aside and started teaching from college textbooks.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Do you ever leave the house?Just taking them out of school is not going to keep you from gettin the flu.I mean if that were the case you might as well lock the doors, not open the windows and stay home until the whole swine flu is over otherwise just taking them out of school doesn't mean they won't get it.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

The schools public and private are hot beds for germs.

Curriculumn is cheap. Children are irreplaceable.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I'd be paniced too. However, for the news. I'm betting they reported the facts wrrongly.

They love to sensationalize things. They would know immediatly if the death was flu related, and I doubt the boy would be sent home if the flu was that critical.

Journalism is a joke, almost nobody checks their facts these days.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by indy0725

Do you ever leave the house?Just taking them out of school is not going to keep you from gettin the flu.I mean if that were the case you might as well lock the doors, not open the windows and stay home until the whole swine flu is over otherwise just taking them out of school doesn't mean they won't get it.

You are right. In fact confined spaces and recirculated air are sure bets for contracting a flu.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I would say in today's environment home schooling is safer. I would only do home schooling for the time the flu is circulating. There also home schooling groups where you can get support from others.
Avioding the flu is not 100% possible but you certianly csan reduce the chances of getting the flu by limiting exposure.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by indy0725

I know that it wouldnt mean them not being able to get it. But it would cut the chances in more then half.

Sure we leave the house...but if I needed to hunker down and withdraw with my family for a while....I am already prepared to do that. Fortunately I am home enough to do something like homeschooling. Its always been in the back of my mind due to my oldest son being ADD.

I dont think my family getting out now and then is as dangerous as a couple hundred school children being thrown together in the mix of themselves every day.

They share lockers...desks....books....toilets...sinks...doorknobs...light switches....(that is just the start of it) every day. All it takes is one to not be cautious of them just wiping their nose before they touch the desk. Its not like here at home where I can make sure there is washing of hands after bathroom uses ect.

I actually think its very possible my kids all had the swine flu right after the scare stated. They were all very very sick...and my youngest, age 3, was the worst I had ever seen any of my children get sick. That event sticks in my mind...and now this death of a 11 yr old boy is sticking out there.

I am trying to create a border line....something that I can use to decide when its time to take higher precautions. Trying to decide how long does one wait before the scare is too close for comfort.

I know I cant totally run from a flu that is going around...but I might rather avoid my kids mingling with other kids that may have it.

It is obviously at my childs school and I knew this as of yesterday...there were 3 kids out with assumed swine flu. Then this morning I heard about 1 of these kids dying...and I am besides myself.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Limiting exposure to a pretty harmless flu virus will only serve to further weaken any immune system. Just like excessive cleaning, spraying of anti-bacterials and stopping your kids playing in the mud. Wihtout exposure to germs, how can you have an immune system?

It's no coincidence that allergies, asthma and weak immune systems are on the increase as we continually try to limit our exposure to germs by disinfecting everything or preventing the kids from getting filthy.

One day we'll all wake up and be killed off by the common cold, it's gone crazy.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

And wow...I totally agree with you about the immune system and the need to not avoid things in a crazy manner.

I have always been the parent encourageing the kids to get old bowls, old spoons, old pans....and go play in the mud and make mud pies.

I have never been real obsessed like I am feeling right now.

*sighs*

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I took my son out of public school last year...of course, he's 15 and not in grade school. There are many home schooling sites on the web..you can google them. They all cost money, but to me, its a price well worth paying for.

Public schools are not what they used to be. I took my son out last year when there were 3 bomb threats made in a month..enough is enough.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
reply to post by stumason

And wow...I totally agree with you about the immune system and the need to not avoid things in a crazy manner.

I have always been the parent encourageing the kids to get old bowls, old spoons, old pans....and go play in the mud and make mud pies.

I have never been real obsessed like I am feeling right now.

*sighs*

*gives a hug*

I understand. You should try Abeka for awhile, depending upon the child's age. A parent has to do what a parent has to do...

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
First check the Home School Legal Defense website to find out the laws in your state. It is not hard at all to choose curriculum to use. You do not have to spend a lot of money or buy a boxed curriculum. I like a book called The Well Trained Mind which explains the classical method of learning. It has lots of recommendations and is very helpful. This is our 4th yr homeschooling. I'll never put my kids in a public school again. Good luck.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I would be concerned, but not panicked.
Are the facts true?
Did the child have other medical issues?
A healthy child dying from this bug would indeed cause concern of another round of a 1918 style pandemic, but so far, this has not been the case.
It has proven to be the cause only in those who have other serious medical issues, and then only as a contributing factor, as the seasonal flu is considered only a factor in the 30-50 thousand deaths in the U.S from "flu" each year.

If it does turn into a fatalistic pandemic, only isolation can prevent it----home schooling only protects you when you stay home. One trip to the store or post office, one infected customer sneezing in a room, and everything other prevention scheme is a moot issue.
Paper masks?
If you can breathe through it, the virus can get through.
Hand sanitizers?
The bug can live 48 hours on surfaces---so, you go home, wash your hands, then take off your infection splattered coat, shoes, vegetables you just purchased, mail that has been sealed by licking the glue strip and handled by dozens of people---you get the point.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join