It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coyote('s) in my yard-What would you do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I have a dilemma that is causing me to be unsure about what is the best decision to make. Over the past month or so we have noticed a coyote here and there in the neighborhood. Actually, they pass right through our yard. We noticed one by itself a couple of times passing through right after dark. We live on the outskirt of a somewhat neighborhood but we are in the country as well. My neighbors have chickens and behind me is a cow pasture that I believe they live in the tree lines of. It seems the coyote was coming from behind my house from the cow pasture and going in the direction of the chickens in which it passes through my front yard. We have also always noticed howling very close by and what seemed to be pups from the sound of them.

Well the pups have grown very fast I do believe, or there is just more to the pack that I am just now noticing.

Last night we were doing our watch on the front yard and low and behold we saw 7 coyotes passing through. 3 of them looked very large. The 1 coyote here and there did not bother me so...but now I am very concerned. I am concerned about my dog who likes to stay out at night to guard the house and my two new kittens that also stay on my front porch. I figure its all with good time that the Coyotes will snoop around my own yard one day when the Chickens are few and far between or there is not enough found food for the entire pack. Winter will be here soon and I hate to think about a pack of hungry Coyotes. I also have a 3 yr old son...although we are always with him when he is outside.....it was very unnerving seeing the pack in the yard and thinking about my child being outside what so ever.

I have a friend that says I need to let him shoot the Coyotes, that they are just too many and too close for comfort. I love sharing my yard with nature but this nature could impose a threat to our territory.

Am I over reacting by considering allowing my friend to shoot the animals. I am a animal lover!!! But I love my animals that I have taken in as pets also. I dont want to be worried about my child outside attracted hungry animals with a cry or whimper. How far does one go to be comfortable in their own yard? The friend that has talked to me about shooting them is a safe hunter who would take all precautions that it would be done in a safe way being that I do have a few houses near my house. The owner of the chickens and the owner of the cow pasture have been out to get these Coyotes for the past couple of weeks but there is issues with both owners that make it hard for them to 'catch' the Coyotes within a safe shooting distance without a background of houses in the direction of the Coyotes. My yard seems to be the only good place to 'catch' them if need be.

I am at a stand still on to 'be one' with my environment and hope for the best or try to bring some control to my environment and decrease the reasons for my worries.

Mabey others thoughts on this will help me decide on what to do. Its basically ball in my court. I will be watching tonight again....going to have a camera near me too...cant decide if I want to allow my friend to set up a place to aim at them or not. Please dont be mean at me for considering shooting these animals....I am only considering my own family (yes that includes children and animals). I hate to even consider such a idea!!

If I was a person living off by myself in the woods...I would be one of those types to try to feed and befriend the animal....killing is not in my nature....BUT....*sighs*

I just dont know!

What would you do??

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

I would give him one of these:

And wait.

Sorry I can't be more helpful ... that's all I know about coyotes.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
You must live near me.
In our local paper today they said coyotes are in peoples yards and roaming the neighbourhoods looking for food.
Just secure your garbage really well and watch your animals when they are outside.Also don't let the kids roam around unattended.
Coyotes are very smart,if you have nothing to offer they will just leave you alone.
They are a dog after all.
Don't shoot them for being in your area...the reality is that you are in their area.The way the cities have been expanding have been a factor.
People are moving into their space not the other way around.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Get a gun.

Have a barbecue.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
If they start causing problems there's unfortunately only one easy way to take care of it and you mentioned it already. I love nature and pretty much everything in it and spend a lot of time there. I'm very respectful of critters and their home and require the same from them. Living with wild animals very seldom works out, esp. larger carnivores.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Unless your dog attacks when the pups are close by, I doubt you'll have too much of a problem. Coyotes are very thoughtful animals, and your dog is the last thing on their list of things to provoke. Plus, I assume that since your dog is an outside dog, its probably sizable enough to defend itself without much problem. However, having dog food outside is not recommended.

I just read a wiki that said there was one Coyote human kill in 1981 in Glendale, CA. It was a toddler. She was saved by the animal and died in surgery.

Don't mean to get graphic, and while I think you shouldn't have any problem, you also should know all the information.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Actually, many companies make repellent for deer that is actually wolf urine. I'm sure if you put the urine around, it would smell it and think it's another dog's territory and leave it alone. And they might get scared.

I know it sounds silly/weird/gross but that's what I would go with.

[edit on 8/26/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
As a hunter myself. Coyotes are pests. They have for eons plagued live stock. Most areas don't even require a tag to take any, not too mention usually there is no bag limit. Get rid of them.

I don't care what a statistic says, on one killing a child or adult, you don't want your name in a local paper let alone some history book. Take care of business.

That howling from the coyotes means they made a kill, from where I come from its always a cat or rabbit or dog.

Have your friend take care of business in a safe manner, clean humane kills. Don't use a 22LR, use a 223 or 22-250. Make sure of the back stops, and please know your laws in your areas.

Take care,

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
As a zoology major I would please REQUEST that you try using the urine method before killing the creature, even if it is considered to be a "dangerous pest" by many people.

Please and thank you. If the urine does not work, I would suggest going to a local hair salon and asking for a bag of hair cuttings. Using human hair on your property will create a human scent and it may also ward off the coyote. If that does not work, please call your local Animal Control service.

I think any other procedure would be inhumane. If you are really concerned, call Animal Control first, but I guarantee the urine and hair will work.

Ughh... they also eat deer, which are overpopulated in many areas. Coyotes are part of a delicate ecosystem.

And NO, they do not howl because they've "made a kill."

Vocalization
The coyote is one of the few wild animals whose vocalizations are commonly heard. At night coyotes both howl (a high quavering cry) and emit a series of short, high-pitched yips. Howls are used to keep in touch with other coyotes in the area. Sometimes, when it is first heard, the listener may experience a tingling fear of primitive danger, but to the seasoned outdoorsman, the howl of the coyote is truly a song of the West.
Howling - communication with others in the area. Also, an announcement that “I am here and this is my area. Other males are invited to stay away but females are welcome to follow the sound of my voice. Please answer and let me know where you are so we don't have any unwanted conflicts.”

Yelping - a celebration or criticism within a small group of coyotes. Often heard during play among pups or young animals.
Bark - The scientific name for coyotes means "Barking dog," Canis latrans. The bark is thought to be a threat display when a coyote is protecting a den or a kill.
Huffing - is usually used for calling pups without making a great deal of noise.

www.desertusa.com...

It's how they communicate. I hope you found that informative. Really, please take my advice and don't go kill it. If you really want it "taken care of" call your local Animal Control and have them do it. They may even opt to set a humane trap depending on the coyote populations in your area. But I would try the urine and hair first.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply's everyone! I am still undecided...mabey after watching my yard for a couple more nights will let me know how severe the problem may be. Like I said earlier....1 Coyote is one thing....7 is another story.

Raven...do you really think that a smell would detour these animals from their nightly food source? I am not doubting the ways you suggested...I just have little hope of detouring a entire pack who is likely bedding not far from my home. I could see the smell making them more careful or cautious in my yard...but I am not sure I want them so close at all.

I know animals homes are the woods...and humans are pushing them out...but what right does a human have to live on land also? My kids love the outdoors and I hate to think I cant have a peace of mind while they play. My kittens were exploring today on the tree line and I had so much anxiety over the fact that they are now exploring not far from the pack.

I know this is very carnal thinking on my part...and I am surprised by my own reaction...but you just dont know what you would do till the problem is at your own doorstep.

Last I heard, people were getting paid around these parts for every Coyote that is brought in. This shows the problem in the area for Coyotes.

Sun is setting...getting ready to go sit and see if I see them again tonight.

Keep the comments coming....its very interesting!

LV

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
Raven...do you really think that a smell would detour these animals from their nightly food source? I am not doubting the ways you suggested...I just have little hope of detouring a entire pack who is likely bedding not far from my home. I could see the smell making them more careful or cautious in my yard...but I am not sure I want them so close at all.

I know animals homes are the woods...and humans are pushing them out...but what right does a human have to live on land also? My kids love the outdoors and I hate to think I cant have a peace of mind while they play. My kittens were exploring today on the tree line and I had so much anxiety over the fact that they are now exploring not far from the pack.

For the record, we have coyotes all over the place here. They're all over my backyard and driveway, sometimes. We do not use repellent with them, but keep reading. I have two indoor cats, we keep them indoor for a reason. But we also have neighbors with small children and outdoor pets and there has never been an incident here with coyotes, there was one a few years ago with a dog in a nearby town.

As long as your kids are supervised and not out at night, there should be no problem. But if you really want these coyotes gone... Read on. Your kids should be supervised outdoors ANYWAY because if you have coyotes, you likely have raccoons and skunks and other animals which can become rabid, come out during the day, and will come much closer to humans. Coyotes actually are somewhat afraid of them, a rabid raccoon would come right up to your kids. "Cuuuuute raccoon." Always watch your kids while they're outside.

Do I really think the smell will repel them? In short, yes. Food sources move, it's not like there's a BBQ pit right behind your house. Chances are, whatever they're feeding on (rabbits, maybe deer) are going to be migrating soon anyway to try and get away from the predators. If it is their hunting ground, it's more about territory, and if they think the territory has been taken over by other coyotes or if they smell the human hair (I'd go with the urine first) they will likely move on.

I did some research and it looks like wolf urine will actually be your best bet. Coyote urine might do more harm than good.

When coyotes believe wolves are in an area, they will move to a less hazardous habitat. By applying wolf urine around the perimeter of a yard, the homeowner can create the impression that wolves are nearby. According to Ken Johnson, ThePeeMan of PredatorPee.com who has been selling wild urines since 1986, the scent of urine is one of the primary ways an animal is warned of the presence of a predator and the smell of the wolf urine tells coyotes that this area could be a dangerous place. The coyote's instincts kick in and they move to a new territory. In addition an added advantage to using wolf urine is that it is completely natural and safe to use around pets.

www.articlesbase.com...

You could also go with fox...

The owner of the property I lived on (seven acres) told me when I moved in, "We've got a bunch of coyotes out here; you're going to need fox urine to keep them away."

Well, I went to the feed/hunting store and bought some fox urine. I created a barrier the perimeter of about three-fourths of an acre. I never saw a coyote, and none of my critters came up missing. I've also heard that skunk urine can repel coyotes, too, but I opted for the fox urine first because I wasn't sure how strong the skunk pee would be.

www.gulfbreezenews.com...

www.backyardchickens.com...
That's a bit interesting. Wolf urine is tossed around, it may only work in areas with wolves. Human urine is also suggested.

www.ehow.com...
Another site supporting wolf urine.

I would definitely give wolf urine a try. Make sure it's 100% and everything, or you can do more research. Or really call your local Animal Control because they might know something that works really well for your area.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

Yelping - a celebration or criticism within a small group of coyotes.

No Disrespect ravenshadow13, ( I am no zoologist major, just a dumb engineer)

I am by no means an expert, but I do live incredibly close to a river bed, where there is always running water, whether that be, 6 inches deep or 1/4" deep. The coyotes are always present. My home is also backed up to a 18 hole golf course, literally its my backyard. I have seen countless times out my upper story balcony on my home, when the coyotes that make a kill, they yelp and cry right after the prey has been killed or near death (hence the celebration). So regardless of some website, I know what I know and have seen what I have seen. I can't tell you how many cat back hind quarters that my border collie brings home to munch on. Sometimes the hind quarters are few hours old, sometimes a day or two.

To the OP, just because you throw some urine around, or some hair, etc. They WILL be back, and in greater # (you didn't keep the population in check), not too mention, they will impact your vicnity and neighbors.

Do yourself a favor, read my other post again. Take care and great night to all.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
There's no reason to make an either or choice here.

Why don't you try a humane way that doesn't involve killing them first and if that doesn't work ...

Personally I fall apart if I kill a mosquito, I just don't have it in me to kill living things. But that isn't a moral position in any way, it's just that I just can't do it.

[edit on 26 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

That's what I would recommend. It's possible the urine might really work, and if not, maybe the hair. I think that the urine will.

But if you decide to kill it, again, PLEASE contact your local Animal Control department and have them do it.

And there are options like humane trapping and things like that. I would give Animal Control a call anyway if you're really concerned, ask them what they think is best given your area. I'm sure they're aware of the pack and it's location.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Can you call a local organization that can safely relocate them without resorting to killing or hurting them? There is always one organization around that does wild life.

Please do not kill them. Find a solution that is with the least amount of pain and suffering. There are always people who work with wild life and have a passion for saving them.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
We've had Coyotes in the yard off and on for years. They never killed any of our cats, kids or puppies but we did lose a few chickens one year. Once the big dogs were full grown they stopped coming onto our property all together.

The cougar living under one of the sheds had me much more worried.

You can live with the wildlife if you give it a chance. There are some tips and tricks that work, like the wolf urine or having large dogs. Please don't kill them if you don't have to.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I REALLY appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. I have made a choice...and I am going to choose to 'be one' with my natures around me.

I havent seen any more of the Coyotes yet...but I am not counting on that staying that way. I have thought so much about this and just as much as I didnt invite the Coyotes into my yard....they also didnt invite me into their environment. This was a great opportunity for me to weigh my true thoughts on protecting life and respecting all likes of it. If I have more problems I will first try the wolf urine (thanks raven for the suggestions).

I live in Alabama....so please forgive for my first initial thoughts on the best way to rid of my unwanted guests....its very normal here to shoot Coyotes.

To the avid hunter....thanks for your thoughts also! I really see both sides of the fence here. I am going to leave it up to the live stock owners to take actions into their hands....and me and my family are going to be more cautious in the evening hours and be proud of the fact that we get to share our area with so much nature in it. Hopefully my cats will find a tree fast if they ever need to get out of reach!

Thanks again to all!! Its great bouncing thoughts back and forth!

Peace
LV

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

=) I'm glad you decided to give wolf urine a try if you have any more problems. Let us know how it works out for you!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

You know I was going to ask where does one get wolf urine ...

But a google searched revealed a surprising number of purveyors.

Now as to how this urine is retrieved ... I would assume the obvious answer would be: delicately.

[edit on 28 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yeah, tons of places sell it. I'm not sure how they get it... but I'm sure a quick Google Search would yield an answer.

Let's see...

Urine is collected from animals in game farms, zoos and preserves. These wild game care providers are fully regulated by the appropriate state agencies. Those agencies conduct regular inspections of each facility to assure that the facility meets all health and treatment standards established by each agency. The urine is collected via floor collection drains in pens and cages and the animals are always treated in a most humane manner. In addition, these wild game care providers find that the revenue generated by the renewable resource of urine delivers a much needed income stream that allows these providers to keep many more animals alive and healthy.

predatorpee.com...

That would have been my guess, floor collection.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join