It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jedi: Religion or Fantasy?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Lucas himself stated the source and inspiration for the Jedi beliefs in an interview....I believe it was with the critic Leonard Maltin (who originally bashed SW when it first came out...talk about humble pie), on the interviews on the VHS tapes of the first three movies.

P.S.-Why the hell did it edit l-e-o-n-a-r-d?

[Edited on 29-5-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 08:13 AM
link   
First one to force push me will make me a true believer and I shall follow them to the ends of the earth as their caddy.

I am getting more and more into the naked tribal style of religion, careful dancing close to the fire with your warbles unprotected.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 09:01 AM
link   
As to its being a new religion, mankind develops (for want of a better word) new religions all the time. Quite often they're improvements over the old religions.

Many Christian movements (religions) are under 100 years old, and most Christian sects are under 200 years old. If memory serves, the Jehovahs Witnesses and Mormons are two branches of the Christian religion that are under 150 years old. (I believe they're both under 120 years old, but could be mistaken)

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Now there's something I never got...

If I'm not mistaken, they strive to be the 144,000 that will be spared during Armageddon? Well, the Bible clearly states that these 144,000 will be male virgins, and descended from the 12 tribes of Isreal. That said, how in the hell do they attract followers? And how do they attract women (who obviously don't meet the criteria), and how do they justify having children (as only the male virgins will be spared)? Couple that with the lack of holidays, and universal annoyance at the door knocking, and you've got the most unattractive religion ever conceived....

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Lysergic, nobody is trying to make you believe or follow something - nobody's forcing you to read this thread, just remember that
Oh, and just to clear up your ignorance on the subject, Lysergic - Jediism isn't about telekinesis, or the like. Once again, it is a path toward *** enlightenment ***, not mind powers or lightsabers.

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a disturbance in the Force....

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Once again, for those interested - the "official" Jedi Religion main page: Jediism.org -- you can follow the links there to the main discussion forum.

Please, no bashing here! If you register, and begin discussions with the other Jediists at Jediism, please do so in a mature manner. No "Im a syth and im gonna kill all the jediz" stuff, and no "You guys are idiots for believing in this.." stuff, either. I am giving this link to you as a courtesy, and I am trusting that those who visit will be mature enough to handle something different than what they are used to. If you don't think you can handle at least acting mature, just don't go. Plain and simple.
Thanks.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I've noticed many people who have a religious belief system that I've spoken to in the past about Jediism seem to agree with many of the points in the philosophy before I tell them what it's called....and then come the eye rolls...of course it's to be expected. People forget how recently many religions were made, all protestant denominations were founded in the latter half of this millenium, many new age ideas are popping up, and many people are finding belief systems that work for them. I only hope that people will try not to judge Jediism solely on the basis of its newness (?) and the fact that it was inspired from popular culture. But wasn't Protestantism founded on the basis or a monk posting a big list on a church? Isn't that popular culture? I emplore you all, please before judging a philosophical belief please consider the similarities your belief system shares with it, now and in the past.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Oisin

there is such thing as the force just because you are blinded by your own religion that doesn't mean you can use it as an excuse to mock us

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
"Hello Mr. Lucas? This is Harold in Marketing."

"Hey Harold, what's up?"

"A recent study shows we're having a number of 'subscribers' to a Jedi religion...to which we hold the copyright."

"Really? How much money can we make on that?"

"Mind if I visit you in person? I'll bring the Powerpoint."

[edit on 26-2-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Well it officialy becomes a religion when it has a certain number of followers...so yes its a religion.Little old yoda made more sense in one sentence than all monotheistic religions combined,course it is a philosophy,but so are mostly all religions with a bit of dont do this or that thrown in,plus alot of fables.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The "force": chi, qui, prahna....all the same in terms of energy flow.
"May the force be with you."

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join