It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would It Be Useful To Have A "Spell Check" In the Reply Function?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
In view of many of the members who are:

Replying in English as their second language.....

People who are so used to e-mail & SMS they simply can't spell any more.....

People who didn't learn to spell in the first place.....

People who just don't "give a damn".....

I think it would be very useful to have this capability in the "post reply" area.

It would make many posts a lot easier to read & it would also make ATS look a lot more "educated" & "thoughtful", particularly to new members, people who are considering joining & people scrutinising ATS from "outside".

Kind regards
Sam60

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Sam60]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Actually most people will have spell check automatically if they have programs like Microsoft Office installed.

Mine acts just like that, underlining whatever is mispelled.

However an in house spell check would be something cool as well I suppose.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Mozilla Firefox has its own built in spell checker like MS Word. Try that.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sam60

I've often thought that, but on reflection, I feel it's better to learn the correct spelling.

Also, for me personally, I can tell if English is a second language for a poster, or if they may not be too confident or educated, and I read between the lines and try not to judge.

I think most ATSers are like that.

We are here to learm, why not how to spell at the same time?

Just my opinion!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

Firefox baby, only way to go. Make sure you check American or UK English though or you'll get that red line and think, "But that's spelled right."

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Actually most people will have spell check automatically if they have programs like Microsoft Office installed.

Mine acts just like that, underlining whatever is mispelled.

However an in house spell check would be something cool as well I suppose.

~Keeper

I'm a heavy MS Word user, as I guess are many on ATS.

I sometimes use an MS Word doc to draft my replies & therefore use the MS Word spell check, but it appears many do not do that.

I'm thinking of an "in-house" function.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Firefox baby, only way to go. Make sure you check American or UK English though or you'll get that red line and think, "But that's spelled right."

Are you sure Firefox isn't just an anti-establishment plot for leftie new age guys?

I've been resisting it for years.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
reply to post by Sam60

I've often thought that, but on reflection, I feel it's better to learn the correct spelling.

Also, for me personally, I can tell if English is a second language for a poster, or if they may not be too confident or educated, and I read between the lines and try not to judge.

I think most ATSers are like that.

We are here to learn, why not how to spell at the same time?

Just my opinion!

Well yes.....

I'm here to learn....

But not spelling!

Edited for a spelling mistake

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sam60
Are you sure Firefox isn't just an anti-establishment plot for leftie new age guys?

Try it. You'll thank us later.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sam60

Originally posted by intrepid

I swear, once you try firefox, you'll never use IE!

O and as for the English part, I must confess, I just installed the English spell check!

I'm here to learn, but am sometimes lazy!

All the best, kiwifoot

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If you're using firefox try this add-on Install Dictionary Eng

Install Dictionary US

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Firefox is cool I guess ...

Alturnativuly, yu cun lurn hoou tou spele.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Alright.....

I can see where this is heading.....

I'll take the huge leap from under my conservative IE "security blanket" & give Firefox a run.

My wife's already on it.......it appears to run very well on www.strawberrynet.com.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I am a big firefox lover as well, however due to my college courses they require that I run IE as that is all they are coded for. Unfortunately they are not equipped with spell check, and yes I have office 2007 and all the goodies.

I would highly recommend it, even so far as to force a prompt window to pop up when something is misspelled and before the post is listed just so there can be no confusion. I know it is difficult to patrol the massive amount of posts that occur here on a daily basis by the moderators, but I think the advent of a spell check to the site would drastically cut back on the "noobish" posts by some of the less-educated or less-motivated individuals that troll ATS.

I say two thumbs up!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I once rote an article about the dangers of spell check. Eye typed in all the write words but just used synonyms. It failed two pick up the errors.

The title?

Why Johnny can't reed.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
For me it's not so much the bad selling. It's the ones that do not know how to use punctuation. Three or four sentences run together is just insane. And the ones that don't know the difference between their, there and they're. I see posts by very intelligent people that don't know the proper use of those words.
Oh well, just have to live with it. LOL

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
I am a big firefox lover as well, however due to my college courses they require that I run IE as that is all they are coded for. Unfortunately they are not equipped with spell check, and yes I have office 2007 and all the goodies.

I would highly recommend it, even so far as to force a prompt window to pop up when something is misspelled and before the post is listed just so there can be no confusion. I know it is difficult to patrol the massive amount of posts that occur here on a daily basis by the moderators, but I think the advent of a spell check to the site would drastically cut back on the "noobish" posts by some of the less-educated or less-motivated individuals that troll ATS.

I say two thumbs up!

I agree

I'm not making this suggestion for just my own sake. I constantly write elaborate papers & reports for my business, so my spelling is A-OK.

I believe an integrated ATS function would clean up things a lot.

Perhaps it's technically difficult.

Perhaps it would slow response times on the site (which I believe are excellent).

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
I once rote an article about the dangers of spell check. Eye typed in all the write words but just used synonyms. It failed two pick up the errors.

The title?

Why Johnny can't reed.

Fair enough.....

But as with any "tool", it has to be used correctly & appropriately.

In my business I use complex & sometimes obscure jargon (medical & technical) & deal with papers & reports from a number of different countries.

Therefore I am constantly needing to "manage" the spell-check function.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sam60

Granted. As a grown-up as well, I use it for a variety of reasons. My main concern was for kids using it for homework. Once I found my son using it, I bought him a dictionary and a typewriter.

I was actually voted 'worst father of the year.'

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by Sam60

Granted. As a grown-up as well, I use it for a variety of reasons. My main concern was for kids using it for homework. Once I found my son using it, I bought him a dictionary and a typewriter.

I was actually voted 'worst father of the year.'

It sounds like we would get along

I thought that one through & I concluded it was OK for them to use, as long as they took the time to read the definitions, have a look at the synonyms, antonyms, etc...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join