It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Aliens Won't Abduct You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Why Aliens Won't Abduct You

www.good.is

Rest easy: SETI’s Seth Shostak explains why extraterrestrials won’t snatch you from your bed

This is not a trivial solace. ....

Most abduction reports involve being involuntarily hauled out of one’s home or auto, followed by a short session of meddlesome experiments at the smooth-and-cool hands of a gray-skinned extraterrestrial. Frequently, the aliens play doctor, removing sperm or eggs from their victims without so much as a consent form or the slightest romantic gesture.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I searched for a thread on this article, but didn't find one. Which surprises be due to the date of this article.

Anyway, I completely disagree with SETI's comments that 'aliens don't know we're here'. He completely misses the concept that there really is no time or space. At least, not in the linear fashion our science has taught us to believe.

I also disagree with his theory that "We can’t breed with another species ....", since he has no scientific proof either way. One thing I find interesting is his discussion of 'the greys'. I've been feeling for a long time that they are actually us from the distant future trying to correct what we screwed up on the planet in the near future.

When I read "The Keepers" by Jim Sparks a couple years ago, I found my intuition is probably right. Although, the book also raised more questions about their 'handling' of us and why so many abductions are traumatizing for abductees.

www.good.is
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
lol, so what is seth saying? We already know they have no intnetion of wining and dinning us on a date!!! this is useless info seth gave out.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I disagree with Seth's blog.

The usual explanation for such brutish behavior is that the extraterrestrials have come to our world because of reproductive problems on their own. They want hybrid babies (for some reason). But the idea that any species would resort to interstellar travel for breeding purposes seems ludicrous.

How can he judge the motives any better than the abductees themselves? The truth is if anyone knows the true motives it is only a select few, but that is only if you think the governments know much more than they say.

Salmon will swim a few hundred miles to spawn, but the nearest stars are a lot farther than that—tens of trillions of miles, at a minimum.

Just because those distances are large to us does not mean they are large to an advanced alien species.

In addition, I note that the salmon have the good sense to reproduce with other salmon. We can’t breed with another species, despite the occasional barnyard attempt. That’s true even though every living thing on this planet has the same biochemistry as you. We all share DNA, and for the more familiar life forms, quite a lot of DNA. Anything you’re likely to see at the zoo has DNA that’s at least 75 percent identical to your own. There’s no reason to assume that the aliens have DNA at all.

Correct, no reason to assume they have DNA at all, but with the recent findings of amino acid on a comet, as well other previous findings of other buiding blocks of DNA I think the argument for ET DNA is getting very strong. Additionally there is no reason to assume that an advanced race capable of traversing vast distances between stars can not figure out how to acheive highly advanced genetic feats.

Breeding won’t work. But there’s another point: the aliens don’t know we’re here. Evidence for the existence of Homo sapiens—in the form of FM radio, television, and radar signals—has only been leaking off this planet for about 70 years. No aliens farther than half that number (in light-years) have had time enough to sense our presence, and rocket to Earth to snatch you from the bedroom.

(Quoted text taken from www.good.is...)

His worst point IMO, Dr. Shotak is assuming that aliens are bound by our limited communication, propulsion, and observation techniques--Which even our own scientists realize are very primitive compared to what appears to be possible via Quantum Mechanics and such. Also is it not rational to think a highly advanced, space faring species would not 'wait around' for signals from other intelligence, but go and look for themselves? We know we surely would.

I am not claiming alien abduction is true or not (although personally I think some cases are), I am just trying to point out the logical fallacies in making such a bold statement. Seth can argue against, I'll argue for.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
How can he judge the motives any better than the abductees themselves? The truth is if anyone knows the true motives it is only a select few, but that is only if you think the governments know much more than they say.

This might seem like a minor quibble, but Shostak isn't talking about motivation but rather activity. The abductees themselves do not know the motive of these creatures; according to the literature, the creatures are not very forthcoming.

Just because those distances are large to us does not mean they are large to an advanced alien species.

This is making assumptions about the technology a species would use to get from there to here. For all we know the aliens behind abduction (if they exist) may have made a one-way trip or a journey of thousands of years...

Correct, no reason to assume they have DNA at all, but with the recent findings of amino acid on a comet, as well other previous findings of other building blocks of DNA I think the argument for ET DNA is getting very strong.

It is neither strong nor weak, because we won't know for sure until we find an alien with DNA. But it is very interesting...

Additionally there is no reason to assume that an advanced race capable of traversing vast distances between stars can not figure out how to acheive highly advanced genetic feats.

True. Humans are engineered various hybrids, such as crossing goat and spider DNA to create goats that produce webbing in their milk. But then again, those are species that have DNA in common.

His worst point IMO, Dr. Shotak is assuming that aliens are bound by our limited communication, propulsion, and observation techniques--Which even our own scientists realize are very primitive compared to what appears to be possible via Quantum Mechanics and such.

Actually, we have ever reason to assume they would be bound by these same. Because we know of nothing else. At best, those advance techniques you cite are speculation.

Also is it not rational to think a highly advanced, space faring species would not 'wait around' for signals from other intelligence, but go and look for themselves? We know we surely would.

And we are. I agree this is a weak point on Shostak's part, considering what he does for a living.

I do think he follows it up with a very strong point, perhaps most damning to alien abduction as a physical phenomenon...

If 2 percent of Americans are abducted, that’s 7 million victims in the current generation, just in the United States. You’d expect some good, physical evidence for that, beyond stories told by the abductees.

Indeed, world-wide the number of supposed alien abductees exceeds the number of Africans who were taken from their homes for the slave trade. No one doubts that the forcible abduction of slaves took place. There are the descendants of the abductees of course, but also physical evidence of the abductors.

There have been some examples of trace evidence in abductions, but nothing that cannot be explained in more prosaic terms and nothing that has been considered by independent sources. Compared to the number of people supposedly being abducted on a regular basis, you would think this evidence would be much more common and less transient.

I am not claiming alien abduction is true or not...

I think abductions are a sociological/psychological phenomenon but at the same time very real.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I always had a theory that humans were abducted based on their genetic makeup and how perfect their genetic history is. It is just a theory...I always wonder what the family history is of an "abductee" is or if sleep paralysis is genetic.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

I do think he follows it up with a very strong point, perhaps most damning to alien abduction as a physical phenomenon...

If 2 percent of Americans are abducted, that’s 7 million victims in the current generation, just in the United States. You’d expect some good, physical evidence for that, beyond stories told by the abductees.

Indeed, world-wide the number of supposed alien abductees exceeds the number of Africans who were taken from their homes for the slave trade. No one doubts that the forcible abduction of slaves took place. There are the descendants of the abductees of course, but also physical evidence of the abductors.

There have been some examples of trace evidence in abductions, but nothing that cannot be explained in more prosaic terms and nothing that has been considered by independent sources. Compared to the number of people supposedly being abducted on a regular basis, you would think this evidence would be much more common and less transient.

I am only answering this because there is no proving or disproving your other points, as there is no proving or disproving mine at the moment.

I agree that a lot of these abductions are likely mundane, but IMHO about 20% are very real and very alien in my opinion. You mentioned the trace cases yourself. Also I think it is not beyond belief that even (as you said) a civilization that had the technology to come one way across interstellar space would have, at the very least, some type of technology and methods that could be hard to detect by our current technology. Of course this is all speculation and postulation but I do not think we can entirely rule it out in my humble opinion.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXCalieXx
I always had a theory that humans were abducted based on their genetic makeup and how perfect their genetic history is. It is just a theory...I always wonder what the family history is of an "abductee" is or if sleep paralysis is genetic.

I am not aware of any studies into whether sleep paralysis is genetic or not, but I suspect based on my own experience that it is. Both my father and I suffer from it.

Then again, my siblings don't, so it could just be coincidence.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I am authorised to tell you this much
If you're partial to burger, if you stick with your steak, they'll av ya.
They have a thing for beef you see.

It could be that you will become a 'container' for vital lifegiving nutrients that can be drained out from your limbs.
Slicing up cattle is thirsty and messy work thesedays and not even Mcdonalds will take the remnants of a mutilation.
so get the tofu and beanburgers on the barby.
oh and don't go easy on the garlic!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
seriously though

It might all be connected in some way to levels of consciousness.

the buzzing we get when tired and nodding off - similar to other experiences for one example.

I recall reading that to take pot (won't mention it again in case I get in trouble!)
can someone deter an encounter. Don't understand the science behind it other than that if this is true, maybe in some way the conscious state is perhaps some kind of anchor. A pot user (& possibly other herbs like St.Johns wort) will have an anchor in that they are in a particular state for a good few hours or even overnight and not be approachable by entities.
Don't know. Like I say just something I recall reading.

St.Johns wort is interesting though and would extend back in history I woulds say definitely to a time when demons and angellic realms where bantered about - and there have been many a comparison made on ATS alone about the possible true identity of angels, etc.

"Ancient Greeks believed that the fragrance of St. John's Wort would cause the evil spirits to fly away."

"The ancient Greeks and Romans noted that St. John’s Wort was used for such things as snake or reptile bites, menstrual cramping, gastrointestinal distress, ulcers, depression or melancholy, superficial wounds, or sciatica. (8) Other noted uses of the herb extended into the spiritual or mystical realm as they believed the odor alone would surely drive off evil spirits, offering protection against the devil’s temptations." blah blah blah, and so on..

Also known as 'Hypericum' it is generally toxic to cattle! Perhaps they should start munchin little amounts, maybe avoid getting sliced up. although, if the little green men don't do it, some meat factory will!

top topics

join