It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odor Across San Francisco

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

www.kcbs.com

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) -- The KCBS newsroom has received calls Friday afternoon reporting an unusual and not too pleasant smell.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.kgoradio.com

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 8/21/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
It reeks and it's getting worse by the hour. We are way up on a windy hill and it's now finally reached us and it's at the point where you don't want to breathe in deeply outside and you want to get inside asap.

Maybe a cattle ranch has exploded?

It definitely smells like an extremely strong agricultural smell, but it's coming from the Pacific Ocean instead of from the East. Very odd.

www.kcbs.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 8/21/2009 by semperfortis]

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This is no joke, it could be a precursor to an earthquake! I live on the New Madrid fault, and have read statements from some people that lived through the 1811-1812 quakes and they reported a very strong sulpher smell. Sulpher has been compared to the smell of rotten eggs... just something to think about! Hope that isn't the case!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yes, there seems to be many warning signs given off by nature before an earthquake, I'd keep an eye on this one.
Basically, make sure there are no heavy objects abocve where you are, and be ready to dash for a doorway or a sturdy desk.
I'll be keeping you all in my prayers!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

+32 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Here's a link about smells before earthquakes.

trilogynet.net...

or

Nancy Pelosi is back in town, maybe she's speaking with her mouth open again. . .

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

Keep us updated if you can.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Well does it still stink or has it cleared?

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
Here's a link about smells before earthquakes.

trilogynet.net...

or

Nancy Pelosi is back in town, maybe she's speaking with her mouth open again. . .

...didn't see that coming...

just an fyi, another safe place is in the basement, in between load bearing posts if you can see them. Interior doors don't have headers in them anymore so if anything they're less structurally sound just sayin' cause when i was a kid they'd say that but now it don't make sense.

if you can get in between one of those posts and your foundation even better.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I was in the sunset district today and yes.. its a very horrible smell. i have no idea what it is.

but a precursor to a earth quake?

sigh i hope not

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
its weird you should mention this. i smelled the same thing last night here in new zealand.

it was a strong sulphur smell like you describe.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Very interesting about sulfur and earthquakes. I can certainly see how that might be. Otherwise why would the smell be coming from the ocean. maybe an earthquake under the water?

Right now the wind has come up and shifted and I don't smell it as strongly here as before. But fog is coming in off the bay - that will hold the smell if it reaches us. It can smell like fisherman's wharf in the middle of the city in a thick fog. But I am in the middle of the city and not near the beaches. The news stations haven't updated their sites but at 10pm I'm going to check in and see what they say and let you know.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
also it's interesting that some people smelled it last night too, but it was much stronger today. Maybe gaia has a tummy issue. let's hope we can get her some rolaids fast.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Just to be clear it doesn't smell like maple syrup does it? Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a northrax attack, cross your fingers everyone.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Eye Witness Acounts

San Fransisco 1906

Also, according to Edgar Larkin (1906), who collected a great many accounts, the odour of hydrogen sulphide was noted in the area of Sausalito

He also reported that sulfurous odors were pungent in Napa County during the night of the 17th and 18th before the upheaval, and lasted all day

In Santa Rosa, according to Lawson and others (1908), a strong smell of sulphur had been noticed two days before the earthquake by one Charles Kobes. Since during an earthquake eight years previously, "sulfur fumes came up from under his house which almost drove his family from home", the recurrence of this phenomenon on 16 April 1906 caused Kobes to tell his family that there would be another earthquake

Wow, this is pretty scary. it seems the smell of sulphur is definatley related to quakes.

Other effects -

Numerous indications of hydrogen sulphide in bodies of water were reported. According to Larkin (1906), "creeks became milky in several places as if gas escaped from the water

on the day of the quake, there were thousands of strange fish floating on the water a few miles offshore

Again, hydrogen sulphide, which is highly toxic to fish, seems a likely explanation

Dogs, pigs, horses, cows and many other animals seem to show signs of restlessness or extreme disturbance prior to major earthquakes, and I would attribute this to their ability to smell the outflow of ground gases much more readily than humans and to be altogether much more concerned about smells. In San Francisco the major reports of this nature concerned the behaviour of dogs (Lawson et al., 1908), which are reported to have been howling during the night preceding the earthquake

these were just a few of the effects before big quakes.

lots more here -

trilogynet.net...

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Could it have anything to do with this ?

Giant mass of plastic threatens marine life in Pacifici

Scientists want to clean up region of the Pacific known as the Plastic Vortex where soupy mass of plastic debris cover an area twice the size of Texas.

A pair of scientific ships sets sail this month to explore an new unusual ocean phenomenon: a giant floating patch of plastic. The currents of the swirling Pacific gyre northeast of Hawaii push some four million tons of plastic into a soupy mass nearly twice the size of Texas. It's killing marine life and adding to the ocean's toxic burden.

Source : Public Radio International

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

Interesting. But would it be so localized? Something that large they should smell in Seattle. Mebbe?

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Mmm, nothing wrong with sewage ...

A city spokesman said the sewage treatment plant didn't report having any problems and that everything appeared to be functioning normally.

Also:

The stench could also be smelled for a time in the financial district.

That would explain a lot.

cbs5.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Interesting. But would it be so localized? Something that large they should smell in Seattle. Mebbe?

I have no idea ...

Just remember hearing about this giant mass of plastic gunk a few weeks ago ...

On the other hand, I recently heard of some planned Navy high powered sonar testing that was expected to kill upwards of 10.5 million whales, seals, and other such mammals ( dont't understand erxactly why ) ...

That would make quite a stench as well, I would imagine ...

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

That is quite disturbing! It also makes me angry that there is such a lack of respect for living creatures!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join