It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysian model to be caned for drinking beer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Malaysian model to be caned for drinking beer

www.msnbc.msn.com

A Muslim part-time model will be caned next week, becoming the first woman in Malaysia to be given the punishment under Islamic law, after she pleaded guilty to drinking beer

An Islamic court in July ordered that Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, 32, be lashed six times with a rattan cane after she was caught drinking alcohol in a raid on a hotel night club in eastern Pahang state last year.

Saiful said the rattan cane to be used on Kartika would be lighter than the one used on men, and its purp
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This is interesting.
I have always been fully opposed to theocracies, however interestingly enough Malaysia is not considered a theocracy just an islamic state.
I'm still trying to figure out what that means.

Malaysia has developed both a general civil code, which is applied universally, and Islamic law, which is applied only to Muslims in personal and family matters.
www.guardian.co.uk...

This is interesting, so islamic law only mostly applies to muslims.

I guess that's why it's not considered a theocracy.

However

every Malaysian must declare a religious affiliation, which is registered with the government - a requirement that has made it difficult for a Muslim to leave Islam without formalizing the change of status through the legal process.
www.guardian.co.uk...

Everyone must declare a religious affiliation with Govt.?
WOW

I find this very interesting.
What do you think ATSers, is it a theocracy or not?

All in all, I could never in a place where I couldn't drink Beer.

I mean NO BEER???

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-8-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
That is horrible about the law that you must choose which religion you believe in. If you think about it, probably everyone just follows the crowd and says they are muslim just to please their families or to not feel like an outcast, even if they don't know what to believe in or even if they believe in something entirely different, there's no way to prove someone's beliefs, but their is a way to punish them for doing something contradictory to what they say they believe in.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

So......it is OK to serve alcohol, but if you are a registered Muslim, then it becomes illegal? But, if you register some other religion, you can drink? And, if you break the law of some other religion, you are exempt from caning if you are a woman?

This is ridiculous!

[hypothetical] Three women standing at a bar drinking, the cops come in and check ID's, one woman gets caned, one woman gets a week in jail, and one woman continues to drink and party?

Additionally, if she is a model, and this leads to permanent scarring of her buttocks, then the penalty for her is much more severe than the penalty would be for someone in a different profession? This could cost her future jobs and livelihood!! It seems the level of "education" should have to have equal consequences?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

This is true, however I think it's a good marriage of left and right if you will.

Look at Ireland, actually look at Southern Ireland vs. Northern Ireland.
Most in the North don't want to go to the south, many protestants in the north and 98% catholic in the south.

The south is a catholic law pretty much, and look how bad theocracies are.
If a man has kids with his wife and then leaves her, no child support because he can't divorce her.

The North sees how the south is and they are happy it's not like that in the North of Ireland.

It's a good medium because if they didn't do it this way too many non-muslims would start riots and Islam would once again be associated with oppression of liberties.

Now there are no riots, this is a good thing.
Although I don't agree with theocracies and never will, many countries can learn from Malaysia!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

What if she renounced her religious affiliation the minute she saw the cops? It would be worth it to protect her skin. If she is drinking, then she is not that devout of a Muslim anyway, so why not denounce it and claim it is a celebration of her newfound religion?!

Also what about the fact that she is a model? That has to weigh on the penalty of caning? I would prefer caning to jail, but a model cannot afford scars, so she should have some other option?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e0be3c5b98a8.jpg[/atsimg]

That about sums it up.

Islamic Law = Excuse to be a cruel ['effer']

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
What if she renounced her religious affiliation the minute she saw the cops? It would be worth it to protect her skin.

Apparently from what I read it takes some paperwork to denounce yourself.
Muslims in Malaysia are fighting for disallowing denouncing it as well, but they are failing however.

If she is drinking, then she is not that devout of a Muslim anyway, so why not denounce it and claim it is a celebration of her newfound religion?!

Well then what would be the use of law and punishments?

Also what about the fact that she is a model? That has to weigh on the penalty of caning?

Yes I also wondered this.
Seems kinda

reply to post by Exuberant1

That image has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with this article!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
guys..

i am from malaysia, a non muslim too, you actually do not state ur religious affiliation to the govt, however there is 3 main race of people in malaysia being malay, chinese and indians..by default all malay are muslim due to historical religious affiliations.

we have our federal constitutions which governs everything that the govt does and our legal system governs everything else which is non related to religious matter, while the sharia court deals with everything that is related to religious in nature..

well KL (Kuala Lumpur) which is the capital of Malaysia is as vibrant and as liberal as any other western cities..therefore if you plan to visit malaysia, dun worry about this..and of course there is a few wacko or should i say dumb arse who holds high position who makes ridiculous decisions but generally malaysians are fairminded..especially the ppl, nothing much i would say about our govt..am not proud of them at all

for those who are interested , follow this link mt.m2day.org...
and we can discuss many stuff here if u deemed fit..

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

hahaha but the funny thing is, u cannot denounce it by all means..especially if u are in a country where officially islam is the official religion.
, so she is stuck in that sense..

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
ohh another thing, the name khartika dewi shurkarno does not sound malay, more of indonesian
, so i am not sure if she is of indonesian origin

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
btw, islam is not cruel at all , that is another misconception, is the people who abuses the religion for their own benefit that is giving islam a bad name

now before u slam me, i am 3rd generation non muslim malaysian. at the end of the day is not because the religion it is the people who so call say they are hollier than thou

top topics

join