It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you really that UPSET about Slavery?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Truly, please those who preach out, and even have the audacity, to attack me, and my family merely for being of a caucasian descendent, tend to argue that my great grand pappy, was a slave owner, and for a whole entire fact, Whipped, Killed, Beat, Raped, and Violently attack slaves.

This is not true.

BUT fear not, in some few cases, this was true! This was what happened. I will admit that much.

Although, I see many black americans. or I'll make it more UPC *un politically correct* Americans, speak out against the past slavery of the USA.

You would be surprised to find that many people believe that slavery BEGAN in the United States. Wow, stomp my feet and kick my teeth, ignorance is widespread folks!

Here is a website with some, very interesting, Current Day, statistics of SLAVERY

I see many black americans, claiming they are African-Americans.

Africa, seems to be as a place, not to be taken to be proud of being from. From Zimbabwe to Kenya. I wouldn't want to claim, that this if were I get my pride.

27 Million People, have been proclaimed, to be Slaves, throughout the world.

Excluding Antartica

Now where is the outcry, where is the degrading cries against the tyrannical gov't.

Why should the US citizens, bend over, and accept blame and guilt for things, they have never done.

We should notice this, and deny ignorance, and understand, that slavery still occurs, and instead of complaining about the past, WHICH HAS BEEN FIXED TO THE HIGHEST DEGREE POSSIBLE, and try to fix those that are still slaves, and yet, seem to be 'worthless' to those complaining about the past.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
As far as slavery, there are no living slave owners nowadays. No blacks in america are slaves. Many black people I hate to say it, but they love to blame their problems on things like slavery and the "white man". Many white people still have white guilt. Get over it! Black people- slavery doesnt affect you nowadays. White people - none of you are slave owners. Stop feeling guilty! As far as "african american" I dont like it either. I call my self black and american (although I'm half white, its impossible to tell I'm part white. So I just call myself black to avoid confusion. I dont like the term "bi racial")

I agre instead of complaining about past slavery why not try to fix the CURRENT slavery that happens in other parts of the world.

[edit on by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

America to blacks is like an uncle who raped you but paid your way through college!!

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Some kids, back when i was in high school, tried to play that card on people they disliked. I would simply tell them, when they were open to actually hearing it, that at least they were freed... many of MY people are STILL living in separated regions in america, called reservations. At least the US gov't has put out apologies to those who are descended from slaves. Never once heard them say, "oh, by the way, first people, we're sorry we have broken every single treaty with you, and are still doing all we can to get rid of your blight upon our fine land."

mmm yes.. Manifest Destiny. Can you smell it?

Seriously, any time someone plays that little card, remind them there's worse things still happening today, and have been all along. At least THEY weren't abjectly hunted down and killed at every opportunity. Seems to me good ol' Lincoln never meant us in the gettysburg address

Anyhow, yea, i really dislike when people try to claim that little card.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I am white, but the menorcans I have descended from were slaves brought to Florida. I have not seen any reperations, nor do I want them, and I do not blame me coming from a middle to lower class family for any shortcomings in my life.

I have never understood people who continue to bring this up.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer
As far as slavery, there are no living slave owners nowadays. No blacks in america are slaves. Many black people I hate to say it, but they love to blame their problems on things like slavery and the "white man". Many white people still have white guilt. Get over it! Black people- slavery doesnt affect you nowadays. White people - none of you are slave owners. Stop feeling guilty! As far as "african american" I dont like it either. I call my self black and american (although I'm half white, its impossible to tell I'm part white. So I just call myself black to avoid confusion. I dont like the term "bi racial")

I agre instead of complaining about past slavery why not try to fix the CURRENT slavery that happens in other parts of the world.

This is my point, I found myself in a point where I wondered how to mend the wings of my brotheren.

Then I FOUND THE CURRENT BROKEN WINGS!

Continued to be broken!

We must stop this, and complain after it is gone. USA maybe ok now, but its not even what 400 years old, not even close, although, regions much older are still barbaric in these acts, are reason to be upset, we must conquer not be upset with the past, the past is the past, the child sex slaves, and woman slaves, and Indian slaves sold to africa, should be held to such regard as those, from which I find white people called to extermination, he Kamaun Kambo, I'm not quite sure how to spell his, Purely African Name. But If he hates the white man so Much, he should hate every person on earth.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer

This is my point, I found myself in a point where I wondered how to mend the wings of my brotheren.

Then I FOUND THE CURRENT BROKEN WINGS!

Continued to be broken!

We must stop this, and complain after it is gone. USA maybe ok now, but its not even what 400 years old, not even close, although, regions much older are still barbaric in these acts, are reason to be upset, we must conquer not be upset with the past, the past is the past, the child sex slaves, and woman slaves, and Indian slaves sold to africa, should be held to such regard as those, from which I find white people called to extermination, he Kamaun Kambo, I'm not quite sure how to spell his, Purely African Name. But If he hates the white man so Much, he should hate every person on earth.

Good post. My thoughts exactly. You put it much more eloquently than me.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

Don't let the kind words fool you, I spend quite a large amount of time on what words to use.

In thoughts, i'd be stoned to death!

I can put things nicely though, I just need to double my vocabulary, which is quite large as now, still can capture the meaning in which I mean.

WOW! You set me back, I didn't think you were Jesahahahha I forget the rest of the name....

Just goes to show, that avatars are very misleading, lol, probably why I change mine from time to time.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Don't let the kind words fool you, I spend quite a large amount of time on what words to use.

In thoughts, i'd be stoned to death!

I can put things nicely though, I just need to double my vocabulary, which is quite large as now, still can capture the meaning in which I mean.

WOW! You set me back, I didn't think you were Jesahahahha I forget the rest of the name....

Just goes to show, that avatars are very misleading, lol, probably why I change mine from time to time.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Republican08]

Well everyone thinks things and if they said these things outloud theyd be attacked
! If thats what you mean. Thats perfectly normal. It takes a lot for me to be offended. Everyone is too politically correct nowadays lol. I like political uncorrectness lol or whatever the hell the term is. People should speak their minds, who cares whos offended!!! Even if its racist, I still don't care, words don't hurt me lol.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I would guess that some of any ancestors were involved in slavery as parts of the family have plantations in the Caribbean in the 18th and 19th centries and the plantations would have had slaves.

Am I upset by this. No.

This was considered "a normal" practice at the time, and not only did the British benefit from slavery but many other countries including The US did and many forget who supplied the slaves.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
How about we make a new rule? Everybody must forget everything wrong 24hours back so that we may never learn? How about I shoot to death a loved one of yours and you never acknowledge that.

I can fully understand why some may sigh at the ignorant abusive individuals who use slavery for every excuse, however that isnt an excuse itself to completely ignore the lessons of the past, to those individuals who were oppressed in the past. That doesnt mean you have to acknowledge it out loud every second, but recognize when the subject comes up the lessons of the past.

The slaves of yesterday contributed so much to the US, they contributed greately to building that capital of yours, that road through Alaska, those farms in the south, infact blacks were the foundation for most labour during the 18th century and they did it for free. The end result, a powerful wealthy nation that was born partly on the backs of those who were enslaved and worked for free. For you to say "nobody should acknowledge the horrors of slavery or what they contributed because everybody else has suffered" is a p*ss poor excuse.

So while your sitting there, eating your daily spam and egg, with the computer at your finger tips, most probably with products that came from southern farms where enslaved blacks worked their backsides to start off and contributed to, you can seriously sit here and tell us "what about slavery?".

Truly, please those who preach out, and even have the audacity, to attack me, and my family merely for being of a caucasian descendent

I can say an angry white midwestern man attacked me today, however I could note two facts:

1) I could verywell be lying just to add force to my argument
2) I am basing one rotten apple on the whole tree to back up my argument.

tend to argue that my great grand pappy, was a slave owner, and for a whole entire fact, Whipped, Killed, Beat, Raped, and Violently attack slaves.

Your right, your not your grand parents therefor you shouldnt be blamed for the past. That being said that doesnt make any excuse for your opposition to acknowledging the horrors of slavery. The notion that we should just "forget and not learn the lessons of the past" can branch off to many arguments, to note:

-Whats the cut off time? We should for get the horrors of the past over 100 years ago?
-How about I say lets forget that I killed that loved one of yours yesterday, I want to also have the opportunity to make the rules here.

There are hypocrites, liars, and those who abuse the horrors of the past to get them ahead in arguments, that doesnt mean we should not "acknowledge" and "learn" the lessons of the past, that shouldnt mean we should generalize the entire opinion of a population segment.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
How about we make a new rule? Everybody must forget everything wrong 24hours back so that we may never learn? How about I shoot to death a loved one of yours and you never acknowledge that.

I can fully understand why some may sigh at the ignorant abusive individuals who use slavery for every excuse, however that isnt an excuse itself to completely ignore the lessons of the past, to those individuals who were oppressed in the past. That doesnt mean you have to acknowledge it out loud every second, but recognize when the subject comes up the lessons of the past.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Southern Guardian]

Well what you say is true. I just personally have a big problem with the race card, because atleast in my experience and stuff I've seen personally a lot of things people call racist nowadays I don't consider racist. I even have close friends who always go off on rants about being held down by the "white man" and stuff, I just shake my head, and I'm black too but I just disagree with it. People let their race or the color of their skin control their lives to much.

As far as the past I'm a strong believer that the past is the past, its not really affecting anyone anymore atleast in my opinion, people should just move on. I don't think people should dwell on the past or even feel guilty about the past. I was never a slave and none of my white friends where ever slave owners.

BUT that doesnt mean I dont think people should acknowledge or learn from the past.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
So while your sitting there, eating your daily spam and egg, with the computer at your finger tips, most probably with products that came from southern farms where enslaved blacks worked their backsides to start off and contributed to, you can seriously sit here and tell us "what about slavery?".

Slavery happened all over the world to people of all ethnicities and by people of all ethnicities. Black on black. White on white. Brown on black and white. Christian on non-christian. Muslim on everyone else. Heck.... remember The Muslim Barbary Pirates? YIKES! It still happens today - mostly in Africa and Asia and Eastern Europe. No one talks about that. All they do is say that some great-great-great-great grandpappy was sold by black people in Africa to non-black people on a boat and brought to America (forgetting about those who went to Europe and South America) to be a slave and because of that white people today somehow owe them something.

Poppycock!

Remember that it happened. Remember so that it doesn't happen again. Educate people about the horrors. But don't expect a free ride from Americans today because of what happened 200 years ago and that happened because black people sold other black people to non-black people.

And then there is the fact that free black people were actually the higher percentage black slave owners then free white people. Interesting little bit of information that is always poo-poo'd.

Speaking of poo-poo'n information ... think of all those non-black people who fought against slavery and died. Somehow they always get forgotten about.

Oh ... and about that statement - 'probably with products that came from southern farms where enslaved blacks worked' - very few plantations in the south had slaves and those that did lost their 'slave wealth' during the civil war. Try finding any plantation slave wealth today. It isn't going to happen. So no ... people aren't sitting at their breakfast tables all across America, eating eggs that come from slave farms.
Pretty dramatic words ... but empty words.

I'm sure you'll flame away, Southern Guardian. Whatever.

[edit on 8/15/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Slavery happened all over the world to people of all ethnicities

And whats stopping us from recognizing the lessons of the past in other nations? I in no way restricted my analysis to black slavery. I left open the lessons to the past on all occasions. We cannot ignore the horrors of the past on the basis "it happened here and there". We still have 9/11 deep in our hearts, and yet by your logic we should completely forget about it because "other nations were attacked so its pointless to recognize those who suffered". Its an argument, a logic that you will find yourself going back against over a number of issues. The key point here is acknowledgement of unconstitutional, how horrible these events were, not necessarilty those who abuse these memories for their own personal arguments.

I'm sure you'll flame away, Southern Guardian. Whatever.

I am rather dissappointed that you folks are taking such a low road to completely disregard a negative event in the history of this nation over the case of some bad apples. I think it'd be highly distasteful for me to post a thread saying "who cares about 9/11, bad things happen all the time so who cares about who suffered there". My core point here is the logic you fellas are trying to put to us here. It just doesnt work.

SG

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
This may sound callous to SG, but there are so many other historical lessons to learn that we are not focusing on. To say that past slavery is of such import to be held above other issues is ridiculous. It smacks of white guilt, and I ain't buying it.

If slavery were still alive today in America, it would warrant much more attention. But there are so many other issues such as lessons we need to teach from war, the economy, growing and distributing food, energy, housing, etc., that slavery is way down on the list of vital lessons that need to be taught.

Unless, of course, you're paving the way for an agenda that includes reparations...

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Slavery was, and will be, a constant in any frontier society.

While us white folk get the bad rap over slavery, it's important to remember that we also were the ones to outlaw it. As far as I know, we were the first to do so (though I could be mistaken there).

Yet never a thanks for that...

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I hope you are just talking about the US because there is still plenty of slavery going on in Africa. In fact, a lot of the chocolate we eat is picked by slaves.

slavery then, slavery now

child slavery now being imported to US

slavery still alive and well in Africa

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

I hope you are just talking about the US because there is still plenty of slavery going on in Africa. In fact, a lot of the chocolate we eat is picked by slaves.

slavery then, slavery now

child slavery now being imported to US

slavery still alive and well in Africa

I was just talking about US. I said at the end of my post people should be worried about current slavery rather than americas past slavery. Its also people of all lots of colors and races in current slavery too. Not just blacks.

Peace

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
While us white folk get the bad rap over slavery, it's important to remember that we also were the ones to outlaw it. As far as I know, we were the first to do so (though I could be mistaken there).

Yet never a thanks for that...

Personally that makes ZERO sense to me. That's like I start punching you in the face repeatedly , then after a while I decide to stop (not because I want to but because the neighbors start looking and telling me it's not cool to punch you in the face) Then after punching you in the face , I scoff... "well you didn't even say thank you for not punching me in the face anymore!?!"

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I've never heard of a Melanin Enhanced person as yourself refer to "African Americans" as "Blacks' as much as you do... That's usually a term used by "Whites"... dunno just strikes me as odd.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join