It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturn Equinox Picture: Mystery Object Pierces a Ring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

August 11, 2009—A mystery object that punched through one of Saturn's thin outer rings created a glittering spray of ice crystals and pulled some material along in its wake, as seen in this rare image recently released by NASA's Cassini orbiter.

The puncture, which Cassini snapped on June 11, is among the many marvels that have been revealed in the weeks leading up to Saturn's equinox, which happens today. (Find out how the equinox has helped astronomers find new moons, how it will make Saturn temporarily "lose" its rings, and more.)

Equinoxes occur at the point in a planet's orbit when the sun shines directly on the planet's equator. Earth has two equinoxes each year, one in spring and another in autumn. (See an equinox video.)

Because of Saturn's comparatively long orbit around the sun, the ringed planet has an equinox just once every 15 Earth years.

This celestial alignment lowers the angle at which sunlight strikes Saturn, causing objects higher or lower than the ring plane to cast long shadows—and offering scientists a completely new look at the gas giant and its rings.

"We're finally seeing the rings in three dimensions," said Carolyn Porco of the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colorado. "This is the fist time in history that we've been there watching as this happens."

The object is most likely a small satellite, or moonlet, that is zipping around Saturn on an inclined orbit, said Porco, who leads Cassini's imaging team.

The moonlet appears to be about 0.6 mile (a kilometer) wide, but a comet-like haze of ice crystals and dust surrounding it may be obscuring its true size, Porco added.

Scientists think Saturn's moonlets are fragments of larger moons that were shattered by asteroids or comets eons ago.

It's possible that the object is a small comet or asteroid barreling through the ring, said Nicole Albers, a Saturn-ring scientist at the University of Colorado at Boulder. But such occurrences are rare.

"Since we suspect that there are moonlets in the F ring," Albers said, "it's really not unlikely that it is one."

news.nationalgeographic.com...

It's most likely a small asteroid but still pretty interesting. I'm first to admit I'm pretty ignorant on this subject, so forgive me if this sounds like a really stupid question, but would the particles return to the ring or would the "pierce" stay that way?

[edit on 14-8-2009 by Crakeur]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Lumina
It's most likely a small asteroid but still pretty interesting. I'm first to admit I'm pretty ignorant on this subject, so forgive me if this sounds like a really stupid question, but would the particles return to the ring or would the "pierce" stay that way?

Those ice crystals would most probably disperse out in fragments. Though there is a very high possibility that it might be caught in the ring again.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
sometimes, if the exact right angle is a achieved, it appears that one of the moonlets is long and cigar shaped, but it is just the way the moonlets shadow is cast over the rings that gives it that appearance.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Thats how they spotted the Aliens in the novel "FOOTFALL" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle. (a best seller)

A good read. The alien craft was first spotted coming in from Saturn. From near the "wierd ring, inter-twined anomalie" that astronomers were puzzeled by.i Anyway see the book

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
There is an existing thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add your comments to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-Thread Closed-

For future reference: Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join