It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival of The Family and A Better Way of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Hopefully, all of the bad news we're getting these days won't result in the end of life as we know it, but things are looking scary out there. Its looking bleak for the continuity of our way of life. The "System" is about to be reset IMO.

Survival of the family and a better way of life.

I never lived in the same house for more than a year until I built my own 4 years ago. I was always moving to a new city or country, meeting new people, feeling out of place. My family, like so many others, was torn apart when I was very young. Having that experience may be the major contributor to my desire for a close-knit, cooperative family unit that is self-sufficient, unconnected to the grid.

With the current developments in our countries and the world, it appears that dependency on the "sytem" will be our downfall as a civilization. The way I see it, the old saying "the bigger they are the harder they fall" will come true, unless "the system" decides another bailout for the rich by the poor is in enacted. We are realizing what that means for our future as every day passes.

Do any of you ATSers ever think about starting a family community that is self-sufficient and effective at not only preserving life, but celebrating it in this way? How would you do it? What would make it a success? What would make it fail?

I'm sure there are holes in my theory and I want you to point them out.

My Theory

For as long as I can remember I've had a yearning for the kind of lifestyle that no longer exists. Maybe the lifestyle I'm dreaming of never existed except in my own imagination. The lifestyle I'm talking about is a community made up of extended family members living, working, relaxing, and planning for the future - together.

There would be a plot of land large enough for every family member to have their own private home and personal space. Each member would be free to pursue the activities and chores that best suit them while contributing to benefit of the whole.

My brothers and sisters families, along with mine and all of our children and grandchildren, and any other extended family who wish to participate would be welcome and cherished, expected to contribute and defend our way of life in some way.

We would have a central hearth where matters are discussed, meals are prepared and taken, plans are made and ideas are explored.

Each member would have the freedom to do as they wish, work when they wish and perfect new skills at their own pace.

The problems would arise, as problems always do and our willingness to cooperate would be our strength.

I see a farmlike community in my dream but the system I'm thinking of could work in any field of expertise where cooperating is the key to success.

Artistry, mechanics, food production and storage, animal husbandry, carpentry, medicine (natural of course), cloth making and weaving, metalsmithing, etc. Any or all of these talents, skills and yearnings could be accomplished and thrive.

If some of the members wanted to work outside the community, it would be acceptible because the purpose of this family community would be to provide endless opportunity for personal growth while the "unit" provides safety, shelter, food and clothing. Every member's contributions would be equally appreciated.

Every member who falls short would eventually discover his own failing and seek to change it by the virtue of the moral example set by those who are responsible for themselves, and the family community's survival.

Would this kind of family community be able to survive the turmoil apparent in the rest of the world? Would we be vulnerable or impregnable? Is this a solid survival tactic? I'm looking forward to your scrutiny of this possible plan. Thanks

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
What you are saying has been done many, many times. As long as you live in a taxed based sociality your plans will be foiled by government one way or another. In the US you really never own a house or land, don't pay your taxes for year and you will soon discover that you are no longer the owner!

Yes it takes people and talent to do what you want to do, but in the US you somehow will be called a 'cult' if the churches don't like you or a terrorist organization if the government doesn't care for you either.

Making a bob bag and running off sounds good in theory, but until we truly get away from the banks and the corrupt government (that supports the banks) I am afraid what you do will be in vain Sad to say the ideas from years ago has never come to play with peace and working together was overcome by lies and wars.

It is truly a noble thought. Never give that up, my dreams are still alive since Woodstock (in a place far far away).

Tru

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yes!

Families but also individuals and couples, etc., small groups of people in general. There will always be SOMEONE who will survive, they will see to it themselves.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ive been thinking the same thing for a long time.

But i think it needs to happen on a global scale, forget all the money and taxes, if we were all self sefficiant there would be no need for cash as we would farm our own food, make our own clothes, if we need anything we dont have we can go to our nearest neigbour and trade.

The only thing to be missed would be medicines, but meh.. If we lived life like this we would also be healthier, and get sick less.
I doubt it will ever happen but i will keep hoping.

Like tyler durden from fight club says:
"In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway"

top topics

join