It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to avoid being detected by Helicopters

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Hi
So there has been a coup by dick cheney or something using his mercenaries Black Water (or whatever it really doesnt matter)

People have formed a resistance, they send a apache or a drone and they kill you from the air and you wont even see it coming.

The choppers that would be used with thermal imagers to locate dissidents would kill you with hellfire missiles and you wont even hear it coming, like those videos of apaches killing insurgents in iraq etc.The biggest problem would come before thermal image evasion tactics can even be used.

Usually chopper is 2-2.5 miles away and would shoot you based on your thermal signature and you wont even see it coming let alone try to hide your thermal image.

Before Radar they had these huge acoustic mirrors to try to detect incoming planes based on the noise their engine makes, but they are not portable and easily visually detectable.
www.andrewgrantham.co.uk...

Do you think those inexpensive portable homemade parabolic mics, perhaps with an amplifier be able to pick up the buzz of a choppers engine to alert you that a chopper is near so you can take counter measures????

I am really scared of choppers lol

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by anonymouse11

The scenario that you laid out would be one where there wouldn't be too many people.

I'm thinking in that case the PTB wouldn't worry about you too much. They'd have other things way more important to do other than chase down someone

hiding in the woods. They might send a patrol into the area looking for survivors, but they'd do that everywhere. I'd be more worried about dealing

with the regular patrols. Military BDU's have somekind of FLIR tech. stuff built
into them; as their FLIR signature is small.

star, and flag for the entertainment.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

First off, if they go picking off Americans who somehow are rebelling, they're going to need about fifty million hellfires, and that's going to be a significant logistical problem.

The FLIR is only a tool, and like all tools, they have capabilities, just like they have limitations.

Don't pay too much attention to the UTube videos of those FLIR strikes. Those are few and far between.

Besides, with a basic wicker door mat, insulation, or thermal barriers, you can circumvent any FLIR system.

I have a FLIR system, and they have more limitations than capabliities.

Don't worry about the helicopters or Predators. They have to be stationed SOMEWHERE.

This isn't a country of backward-assed tribesmen, and those Taliban and Al-Queda fighters? You want to see some intelligent berserkers - just piss off the typical American male.

You'll learn a whole new definition of revenge.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Yea, FLIR isn't a big deal to circumvent. Hang out in an area with geysers or hot water spouts and it raises the area temp into the 90's... Ever see "Predator"? hehehe

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper

First off, if they go picking off Americans who somehow are rebelling, they're going to need about fifty million hellfires, and that's going to be a significant logistical problem.

The FLIR is only a tool, and like all tools, they have capabilities, just like they have limitations.

Don't pay too much attention to the UTube videos of those FLIR strikes. Those are few and far between.

Besides, with a basic wicker door mat, insulation, or thermal barriers, you can circumvent any FLIR system.

I have a FLIR system, and they have more limitations than capabliities.

Don't worry about the helicopters or Predators. They have to be stationed SOMEWHERE.

This isn't a country of backward-assed tribesmen, and those Taliban and Al-Queda fighters? You want to see some intelligent berserkers - just piss off the typical American male.

You'll learn a whole new definition of revenge.

Sorry to burst your bubble here champ - but the Afghanistan militants you are talking about have been fighting the worlds greatest super powers on and off for thirty odd years - and no one has beaten them. Further the US has now declared along with the US that they intend to negotiate with the Taliban -as there are now good and bad ones ?!! Meaning - you have lost here as well. How many times as your average American citizen come up against US tech - NEVER - so on the whole a blatantly stupid comparison.

As for your comments about Infra-red and night vision - you have no idea - please read Wired For War by Peter Singer and then come back and tell me you have a FLIR, and that they are easily overcome - seriously ridiculous appraisal of modern US tech - very poor.

To give you an insight into what is being used RIGHT NOW there are AI (artificial intelligence) loitering craft (can stay up for months) are able to see through CLOUD AND DUST STORMS are able to intelligently identify ground weapons ranging from tanks down to medium sized arms, are able intelligently and autonomously TRACK these weapons including using the tracks left behind - FACT -

The robotic warfare of the US is so far advanced beyond what you have put forward in your post it is simply stunning the level of ignorance - sorry to be harsh - try not to be so authoritative about issues you do not understand.

Heres a tip - the worlds most busiest airspace is above Baghdad - and the vast majority of these are robots.

When the second Gulf war started there were less than 15 robots engaged - today there well over 120,000 of them in the two major spheres of operation.

It is considered that humans will be entirely "out of the loop" as it is termed by 2020 including fully autonomous infantry robots.

Again - here is a link to the work of the worlds foremost authority on this issue :

wiredforwar.pwsinger.com...

Please read it and then get back to this thread and we can continue the thread.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I share your apprehension of choppers.

It started with me in the 1960's when they would fly low over protests we were having.

Helicopters were used often to herd hippies and instill fear. That was right here in the good old USA.

But the worst fear I had of a helicopter was at a three day outdoor concert in Rockingham, NC in the 70's.

It was the third night of bands. We were all totally wasted, 80,000 of us.

I'm close to the stage waiting for Alice Cooper to preform when suddenly all hell broke loose in the sky above the crowd. I tried to run away but the crowd didn't move.

It was one heck of a light show done by the helicopter that brought Alice Cooper to the stage.

I still don't like helicopters.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
A good defense often starts with a strong offense.

You want to deny the chopper access to an area by making the area too dangerous/expensive to patrol.

Built-up, close-in areas are difficult to patrol by chopper.

Helicopters have a major weakness in the fragility of their main rotor blades.

If the SHTF, get yourself (and a few trusted compatriots) to the nearest home improvement store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.).

Bring some knowledge of combustion chemistry, and you'll effectively have a virtual arsenal at your fingertips: Everything from IED's, and land/anti-personnel mines, to short range, remote-operated Surface-to-Air Missle systems.

Talk about "Toy" stores, Those places are dangerous!

(If you have a devious mind, and a few "McGyver"-genes!)

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
You guys are going way offtopic, topic is to avoid getting killed by helicopters who can see u and hit you and you wont even see it coming

and question is :

Usually chopper is 2-2.5 miles away and would shoot you based on your thermal signature and you wont even see it coming let alone try to hide your thermal image. Before Radar they had these huge acoustic mirrors to try to detect incoming planes based on the noise their engine makes, but they are not portable and easily visually detectable. www.andrewgrantham.co.uk... Do you think those inexpensive portable homemade parabolic mics, perhaps with an amplifier be able to pick up the buzz of a choppers engine to alert you that a chopper is near so you can take counter measures????

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonymouse11
Usually chopper is 2-2.5 miles away and would shoot you based on your thermal signature and you wont even see it coming let alone try to hide your thermal image.

If a chopper is fueled, armed, and in the air, you have already lost.

Choppers have a pretty crappy range. In the US there are a limited number of places for a military chopper to be maintained and those should be easily overrun and put under the control of the civilian populations that surround them.

Face it, your best chance for survival isn't finding better ways to run away and hide but to find better ways to dismantle your enemy's ability to project power.

Jon

[edit on 8.11.2009 by Voxel]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The best way not to be spotted by FLIR is to wear a foil type survival suit.
www.armedforces.co.uk...

These trap body heat and hold it and give a lot smaller heat signature.

Some of these suits come with a foil side and a camo side.

With these suits you can leave your head and hands uncovered as they will just look like small animals.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel

If a chopper is fueled, armed, and in the air, you have already lost.

Choppers have a pretty crappy range. In the US there are a limited number of places for a military chopper to be maintained and those should be easily overrun and put under the control of the civilian populations that surround them.

Face it, your best chance for survival isn't finding better ways to run away and hide but to find better ways to dismantle your enemy's ability to project power.

Jon

[edit on 8.11.2009 by Voxel]

yes yes I get it, but lets say that is impossible or the opportunity has been lost to disable 100% of the airforce
Plan B !! then how do you avoid getting killed by helicopters who can see u and hit you and you wont even see it coming

and question is :

Usually chopper is 2-2.5 miles away and would shoot you based on your thermal signature and you wont even see it coming let alone try to hide your thermal image. Before Radar they had these huge acoustic mirrors to try to detect incoming planes based on the noise their engine makes, but they are not portable and easily visually detectable. www.andrewgrantham.co.uk... Do you think those inexpensive portable homemade parabolic mics, perhaps with an amplifier be able to pick up the buzz of a choppers engine to alert you that a chopper is near so you can take counter measures????

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I think there is a very good possibility of TPTB empolying this method on us under a forced vaccination, forced RFID (pass ID or what ever the new version is called), or any other situation where we become wanted for non compliance.
Wow, I thought my first choice of bug out location is pretty safe since its a far cry from any service roads and the thick folage would conseal me from anything flying over head, but now... Eek!
Can't contribute much but I will be following this thread closely.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Hi
So there has been a coup by dick cheney or something using his mercenaries Black Water (or whatever it really doesnt matter)

People have formed a resistance, they send a apache or a drone and they kill you from the air and you wont even see it coming.

The choppers that would be used with thermal imagers to locate dissidents would kill you with hellfire missiles and you wont even hear it coming, like those videos of apaches killing insurgents in iraq etc.The biggest problem would come before thermal image evasion tactics can even be used.

Before Radar they had these huge acoustic mirrors to try to detect incoming planes based on the noise their engine makes, but they are not portable and easily visually detectable.
www.andrewgrantham.co.uk...

Do you think those inexpensive portable homemade parabolic mics, perhaps with an amplifier be able to pick up the buzz of a choppers engine to alert you that a chopper is near so you can take counter measures????

I am really scared of choppers lol

Go underground. I'm serious about it. Best if you can get someone who's knowledgeable about sewage/big drains network.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
This will probably sound silly and isn't that practical but if you can keep a sheet of glass above you I'm pretty sure the sensor cant see heat through it.

Double glazing would probably work best and like I said isn't that practical but I think it would work.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I remember reading about a nifty trick used by the VC in the Cu Chi tunnel complexes..

Whilst not a portable solution, one method of both sheltering underground and detecting the sound of incoming aircraft was to create a conical shelter chamber underground. The conical design apparently amplified the sound of engines above enabling those sheltering to hear when there was an enemy plane overhead

A portable heat-sink-hide may be an alternative to avoid Thermal Imager detection..

This could be a large tarp with a long flexible plastic hose-line that has been sewn to the sheet in a spiralling pattern with the centre having a foot or two of free hose, and the end of the spiral trailing out a foot or two from the edge and away

A small RV-type portable CO2 fire extinguisher could then be attached at the centre-point of the hose spiral, climb underneath the blanket with the fire extinguisher, connect the outlet nozzle to the hose and slowly release bursts of the gas.

As the gas expands and travels along the length of the hose, it will expand and absorb your body heat and eventually vent the warmed gas out of the free end at the edge of the tarp

..just an inventive idea

[edit on 11-8-2009 by Taikonaut]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taikonaut

I remember reading about a nifty trick used by the VC in the Cu Chi tunnel complexes..

Whilst not a portable solution, one method of both sheltering underground and detecting the sound of incoming aircraft was to create a conical shelter chamber underground. The conical design apparently amplified the sound of engines above enabling those sheltering to hear when there was an enemy plane overhead

[edit on 11-8-2009 by Taikonaut]

Thats a good idea will keep in mind, but what about if you are out to gather supplies or meet other dissidents and they hit u, something portable would be handy.

So what about the homemade parabolic mic (perhaps with an amplifier) idea ?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

So what about the homemade parabolic mic (perhaps with an amplifier) idea ?

An old satellite TV mini-dish with mic-receiver in place of the tv-signal receiver head perhaps? Would look innocuous enough as they are a common enough sight in the domestic environment

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Those cooling shelters will stand out as well. It is just as bad to be a "blank spot" as it is to be a hot spot.

I think the OP has already answered their own question, and just didn't like the answer. A lot of good ideas have been given but they don't satisfy the question he is asking, because there is no answer.

If the helicopter is withing 2 miles or so, they have FLIR and other modern imaging devices. You are their intended target, you are SCREWED! Pray to whomever you please and go down fighting!

The OP has presented an impossible scenario. We are not GI Joe Cobra or Schwarzenegger in "Predator". A foil suit may help, but if you are the target, they will spot the anomaly. Underground works, but if you are on the run you don't have time to dig in. Obvious caves and hiding spots may be taken out preemptively whether they spot you or not.

If you are a single person vs. a modern army, your only hope is anonymity. Once they decide to find and kill you, it is only a matter of time!

Now for more general discussion, see all the other posts, those are more realistic and helpful!!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
The best way not to be spotted by FLIR is to wear a foil type survival suit.
www.armedforces.co.uk...

These trap body heat and hold it and give a lot smaller heat signature.

Some of these suits come with a foil side and a camo side.

With these suits you can leave your head and hands uncovered as they will just look like small animals.

Anned is right but I will give you a cheaper, easier
alternative. Buy yourself some of those cheap
aluminized survival blankets. Find a low spot in the
ground, cover yourself with the shiny side down. Then
you must cover the blanket with leaves, dirt and moss.

A few small holes in the blanket will just look like a group of
birds to the FLIR operator.

If you don't make holes any heat will escape around
the edge in a square pattern that will give you away.

Also, for visual camouflague those big nets can work
but you must not stretch it out and make a rectangular
shape.

I am writing an article on camo now for ATS and
will be starting a new thread in the survival section soon.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join