It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economist Krugman Says World Avoided Second Great Depression

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
reply to post by Sardot

If people would really look around them, they would see the same recovery we're seeing.
I teach at a community college (English, not Social Studies) and am glad to hear another academic weigh in on the subject.

Frankly, your 'credentials' don't lend any weight to your statements. For all I know you could just be some punk sitting behind a computer screen in their parents basement.
So let's keep it real and stick to provable Facts.

Yeah, cause I'm the bigger academic than you!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Yeah yeah. The right wing fringe is always accusing anybody who disagrees with them of being somebody who knows nothing, living off of somebody else (e.g. living in their parents' basement). It's old and a complete yawn.

I think you and Rockpuck make some valid points, but you both stoop to personally denigrating Sardot and me.

Nowhere in this thread have I questioned the intelligence or qualifications of the person making the statement, even where I haven't agreed.

SO has recently made a thread asking for more civility in our political discourse. No, I will not complain to the mods, but I think personal insults and character assasination don't accomplish anything except to bring a civil conversation to a screeching halt.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I think you and Rockpuck make some valid points, but you both stoop to personally denigrating Sardot and me.

I apologize.. I have a tendency to leap on arrogance. Don't take it to personally. It's the Internets after all..

Aside from saying we are meanies you really have not done much to defend your position.........

PS I never said anything in regards to you by the way, only Sardot.

[edit on 8/12/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Aside from saying we are meanies you really have not done much to defend your position.........

I'm inclined to listen to Krugman, in part because of his credentials, and in part because I too am optimistic that the ultimate second great depression may have been averted. That doesn't mean that the hard times are over yet, and in fact things could well get worse before they get better. That doesn't mean Krugman is ultimately right. But I think his opinion is worth considering.

I was more interested in hearing other people's reactions to this news, and getting their perspectives on it, than I was in driving home a particular conclusion.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Not questioning your intelligence. I'm just pointing out that this 'I'm an Academic, yay' doesn't mean anything here on the internet. Other than agreeing with this krugman, I don't see what points you have made. And I'm not a Right Wing anything, so that's an assumption on your part.

As far as Sartos, I'm still waiting for him/her to answer my question so I can gain some context on his/her ramblings.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

I think I just answered what my position is in my response to Rockpuck, above.

Sorry if I sounded too enthusiastic about greeting another teacher. I don't come across that many here on ATS (or that many who will identify themselves as such). I's not an ego thing. Academics disagree among themselves as often and as vigorously as people do here on the internet, so it's not like we all think alike.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join