It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man sent to jail for yawning

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Now I could see this type of yawn... The loud kind... OK SO WHAT! The man yawned... Big deal. Some of you really think your tax dollar monies are best spent by housing this guy for the crime of Yawning?

The fellow will become a pillar of his community after a lengthy jail sentence will rehabilitate him from yawning in court again?

...... IT occurs to me that some folks will never see the inside of a concentration camp.... I think they are the people condoning the incarceration of a man for the crime of boisterously yawning.

Crime doesn't pay, do not yawn in court.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This happened about a half hour away from me, so we have been hearing about it a bit. It wasn't just a random involuntary reflex yawn. This guy was there with his cousin (the one originally on trial) and being fidgety and distracting throughout and his "yawn" as the verdict was being given was done by putting his arms up above his head and waving them around and making loud yowling type noises.

This was a show of disrespect and contempt and while his sentence might be harsh, he wasn't just some tired guy who couldn't help himself and let a tiny yawn slip out.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

This was a show of disrespect and contempt

You missed the point, who gives a flying # if he was disrespectful. I don't have any respect for the judge that condemned this man for yawning, regardless of its intent or voracity. I don't have respect for any type of government or justice system. Come get me.

The point that you missed was only one post above yours.

Some of you really think your tax dollar monies are best spent by housing this guy for the crime of Yawning?

The fellow will become a pillar of his community after a lengthy jail sentence will rehabilitate him from yawning in court again?

What this really tells me is that judges are above the law, and can sentence anyone for whatever they want. To me, this is an abuse of power, whether he was intentionally disrespected or not. When your occupation is ruining people's lives, you should expect some modicum of disrespect from those on the receiving end. The judges response just shows how petty he and the justice system really are.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by djzombie]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
He probably won't do the full 6 months. I have a story somewhat similiar as far as harsh sentencing.

I had no prior criminal record or anything, and I was facing 2 misdemeanor charges. The maximum sentence for my charges was 6 months. The judge sentenced me to 6 months for each charge consecutive.

Most times, you serve time on multiple charges at the same time. In my case, the judge made it so I would have to do 6 months for 1 charge, and then another 6 months for the 2nd charge.

Oh, and the charge was criminal damage to property. I only pleaded guilty as a plea bargain because as the damage was over $500, it was a felony. I might could have beat the charges, but it wasn't worth risking 2 felonies on my record, so they offered 2 misdemeanor charges if I plead guilty, so I took it.

Don't even get me started on the sillyness of the $500 mark, which was set in the early 19th century when $500 was a lot more than it is today with inflation etc.

I actually only ended up doing 30 days of the 1 year sentence. Then the judge suspended the sentence and put my on probation. Very strict probation. I couldn't go 48 hours without seeing my probation officer.

The judge hated me for some reason. I seen people who were in for serious crimes do less time than I did and less probation than I got. I seen gang members do less time for drive by's.

But anyway, just because they sentence them to 6 months doesn't mean he will actually do it. I think they do it for a scare tactic or something.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Not funny. This poor guy has had the book thrown at him by a insane judge.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I can see how a Judge could feel justified in this case.

Suppose this was a crime family, or gang, or repeat offenders. The Judge is disgusted by the light sentence she is about to hand down, and immediately after stating the sentence, a family member, or gang member, or affiliated thug gives a loud and intentionally disrespectful yawn in the audience to voice their triumph over a pitiful legal system. The Judge takes it as the perfect opportunity to slap him with the maximum at her disposal.

We don't know the background, the court proceedings, or the criminal records of these guys.

I can't criticize the Judge in this case without knowing more!

I agree with your speculation. Back in the Day, propriety and decorum were standard in a court room. To be disrespectful is a crime..it is contempt. The perpetrator disrespected the court. When our courts have no respect, our laws have no respect...and without the law, we are wild and uncivilized. To enter a court room is a privilege and with privileges come responsibilities.

Each person witnessing the proceedings must not interrupt, must be dressed in a respectful manner, must obey the court-generally-gasping, laughing clapping talking of any kind is not tolerated. The process is a wonderful thing where cases are weighed and deliberated and judged. To understand the system is to respect it and even honor it-it is the terrible education people get now days that I blame mostly.

I used to live next to will county Illinois and the judges in that part of the world are staunch type A people. They are super overachievers who do not tolerate weakness in others. Naperville & Bollingbrook Illinois...Chicago suburb-conservative, prudish and affluent.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Chicago Tribune article

Here is a link to a local paper which has a more detailed article.

I'm not saying that I don't think it was a very stiff penalty, but on the flip side, it also wasn't just a tired kid slipping out a tiny yawn. It doesn't sound like the guy, Clifton Williams, will serve the whole time. This article says he is expected to serve about 21 days.

Frankly, I'm kind of torn on this one. I do think that this judge sentenced Williams more harshly than necessary. 6 months is a bit excessive, but on the other hand, there are rules of law that are required to be observed in a court room and Williams was unwilling to abide by them. It was not his "right" to act in a manner that was blatant contempt of court - while court was in session - in order to disrupt the proceedings. He acted beyond what the law allows and now there are consequences that he must pay for making the choice to behave as he did.

Then again, this judge also has a higher rate of contempt of court charges than any other judge in the county and sounds like he is overly reactionary to provocation and harsher in his sentencing of contempt charges.

I wasn't there and can only base an opinion on the facts at hand. It sounds like there is plenty of blame to go around this time.

Take care,
Cindi

top topics

<< 1   >>

join