It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I just wanted to step in applaud the Mods on this one. I know you guys have a monster of a job here, and you go to so much effort if there is a problem. ATS is not and will never be a perfect entity....none of us is. What matters is that there is intention and progress towards something more civilised than some of the recent debates.

Abuse here is not limited to the political forums either, and recently I've had to flag up more than one sad situation to a mod for very personal, aggressive, hate filled and even sexually abusive comments, which is kinda worrying, as they are based on no more than a few words on my profile, and not even any particular arguement in a thread. The tone at times seems to have changed, and this site, maybe because it's so much more high profile now, is attracting people with very little sense of how to behave courteously around other humans. Abuse here does happen, and I would encouage anyone on the receiving end of it to shout to a Mod. Please. Unless abousive behavious is challenged, it will continue and only get worse. Some comments need to be taken very seriously.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well finally the staff is taking notice, I almost made a thread on this same subject.

But then I figure, what the hell, things are not going to change.

Yes, I love politics, yes I have voted for bush and Obama, but for some rason is not longer any pleasure on debating politics in ATS anymore.

Things have been deteriorating littler by littler over time, is just out of hand.

That has prompted me to just stay away for the last few days.

Thanks SO for taking the issue as usual I see that ATS will try to keep its standards of quality discussion regardless.

I hope this thread will help stop the MADNESS!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

The titles in question have been fixed.
When the staff takes action, there is always a discussion beforehand and that is what was going on in this case. Yes they were posted before this thread but, they still would have been altered regardless.

ty for fixing the title, Fred, I had complained to skeptic overlord this morning about it, and nothing was done, although I he did immediately send me two warning tags for my one line responses.
I guess i will get banned now.

You know it is the small things in life dear Springer, If one cannot be trusted with honoring the small things, then I can't trust them when it comes to the big things.

[edit on 053131p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Good news.
Thanks.

- Lee

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

OMG...your the owner?! I really didn't know when I sent that email to you.. For the rest of the members , so you know what Im talking about---He had made me a foe, I was excited so I sent this email>> "You are the
first to "foe" me....not sure what to do next....we seem to have the same views. I didn't know I could look at another members profile . you have been busy. Sorry Im not good at conveing what I mean. Im a good person. cya in the threads"
If you all see my avatar with a bullet hole in it ,you'll know why. I love your site Mr.Overlord....have mercy on us younglings. Im sure that I have broken a rule , I will do better.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'll paraphrase what I said in a recent post:

When a child throws a temper tantrum, you put him or her in the "time out" chair and let them think about their behavior.

I think the same rules could apply to our political discourse.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Posts that continually parrot previously proven false political rhetoric without substantive contribution to the topic are not allowed.

Since I'm sure it is on several members' minds, and since the question has not been asked, let me ask for the record"

Do you believe that Obama has proven he was born in Hawaii? In other words, does this topic now violate the guidelines? I'm specifically addressing this question to SO, and ask others not to respond with their opinions.

His answer will determine a great deal how much bandwidth will be used in the next several months.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Is my current avatar okay? There's no alteration of obama's name.

Second line.

TA

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I agree.

When I saw people working together on pulling apart the health care bill, I was actually pleased that we could all find the patience and will to work together. I want to thank those involved for helping in restoring some of the rationality that drove me to the site.

If I have been involved in any dumbness, I apologize for not approaching these topics rationally. I will do my part in keeping myself civil.

Pathos

[edit on 9-8-2009 by Pathos]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Two items in the opening post have been refined to provide further clarification.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Remember how a seperate AP board use to exist ?
Back then the slightly relaxed moderation allowed for partisan fist fights but not personal attacks against other members . The same freedom that allowed partisan dummy splits also allowed for the highest quality discussions I have taken part on the boards . By scraping the seperate AP boards the powers that be created a rod for there own back . But hey its all history now as is the Bush admin .

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Fair enough, but that's going to force the removal of some absolutely hilarious avvys. Oh well, your site, your call.

TA

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

That doesn't seem to have answered my question.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Do you believe that Obama has proven he was born in Hawaii? In other words, does this topic now violate the guidelines?

What I think doesn't matter.

However, the subject is a valid conspiracy theory on many levels, worthy of discussion on ATS. And with that in mind, I'm 100% certain it's possible to discuss the subject within the guidelines laid out in the opening post.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Excellent work SO.

It was time for the clarification.

Hope it does not mean some of the hilarious political parody Avatars like the 3 bobbing heads driving in a car, that one cracks me UP!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Me too!
I think it shows the arrogancy and cluelessness that
our 'leaders' display to a 'T'!
Its just one big fun road trip to them. War shmore.
Meanwhile the country crashes and rolls over...
BTW, the car looks like a clunker!

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
you are right mate!

they want us to fight, they want us to think there is a true political party system, but in reality there are no Democrats or Republicans, we waste too much time basing are opinions and views based on that alone

but with Free speech, you have to be able to let everyone else have there free speech as well, not many people are okay with others freedom of speech if it is against there own

Cheers to you kind Sir

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009

OMG...your the owner?! I really didn't know when I sent that email to you.. For the rest of the members , so you know what Im talking about---He had made me a foe, I was excited so I sent this email>> "You are the
first to "foe" me....not sure what to do next....we seem to have the same views. I didn't know I could look at another members profile . you have been busy. Sorry Im not good at conveing what I mean. Im a good person. cya in the threads"
If you all see my avatar with a bullet hole in it ,you'll know why. I love your site Mr.Overlord....have mercy on us younglings. Im sure that I have broken a rule , I will do better.
Sorry..Ignore...Im or should say I have Dyslexia ....got you confused with CouriousSkeptic.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Man! Now I'm really concerned about messing up.

That part about not being a jerk - it's not like I was able to choose my genetic mix - but this jerk thing - it's just so natural!

Sure going to take some of the flavor out of some of the topics . . .

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
For once I actually agree with you on this one.
There are some people who have a special knack for sour and sarcastic rhetoric. They ridicule with the greatest of ease while avoiding any rationality whatsoever.
Kudos to the admin. While I do not personally object to seeming vulgarity, I simply can't abide the complete lack of reason that characterizes a lot of the conversations you see on here.
Thank you for this move.!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join