It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cicadas are Here

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Soon billions of cicadas will be choking maryland skys. I will be here reporting it to you. Cicadas are nasty red eyed bugs up to an inch long. They make more noise than a freeway. Emerging in the millions per acre these bugs will terrorize schoolgirls for weeks. They are also low in carbs

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by Vegemite]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
our local newspaper here in NW Ohio is also reporting that we'll have this happen

I guess I'll stay indoors for a while...

I know my gal will !

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
is this the same infestation that plagued the midwest?
I recently heard something of the sort? but not sure if it was cicadas or locusts.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
We get them here to. They are saying there will be trillions of them this summer. Theres gonna be alot of fat birds and cats this year!

They're back: Trillions of cicadas emerge from 17-year slumber

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Theres a story that last time during high school graduation they had to postpone it because the cicadas made so much noise they drowned out the loud speakers. Thats ALOT of noise. Then when they all die the stink will start. I wish I was a cicada all I would have to do is eat ,sleep and mate. My brood in maryland is BROOD X. Go here for sounds alpha.fdu.edu...

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Flying insects are truly repulsive to me (apart from Bees and Daddy long legs because they are nice) and the thought of coming anywhere near a swarm of them really turns my stomach! I certainly wont be going anywhere near these locations, ever! What noise they make which is so loud?

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It is supposed to be the worst cicada brood in my neck of the woods in 100 years. Should a gross and sticky May and June.
Brood X is the generation about to pop out of the ground here in Kentucky. And as Murphies law dictates, I am in the middle of the worst zone.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Behind this link you will find a map of the location to keep out :
www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu...

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Thats what they predicted for GA. about 6 or 7 years ago and we are still waiting..............

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I thought locusts are of a seperate branch of the bugs known as cicadas? I think so because I hear cicadas make that "wiissoo-wiissoo-wissoo-wiiiiiiiiiisooooo" noise all the time shortly before summer ends every year. It was always my audible marker that tells me that fall is around the corner...

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Brood X is supposed to arrive here, at the end of the month I think.

They seem like nasty little critters. 1.5 million can be on half an acre of land I've heard.

Better get the insectside.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by observer
It is supposed to be the worst cicada brood in my neck of the woods in 100 years. Should a gross and sticky May and June.
Brood X is the generation about to pop out of the ground here in Kentucky. And as Murphies law dictates, I am in the middle of the worst zone.

that makes two of us and this monkey aint happy!

i remember the last time...frankfort ave. was cicada lane...loud and smelled AWFUL.

locusts are similar to grasshoppers, bigger and can fly. cicadas and locusts are not the same nor are they similar.

let me show you all...

this is the cicada! ugly aint he?

this is the locust...

as you see he has a look similar to grasshoppers.

locusts DEVASTATE crops. wheat, corn, you name it.

cicadas just wanna breed and die. they're a nuisance...nothing to worry about.

locusts are a plague (literally and biblically) they can destroy all the food grow by entire villages and leave them starving for the rest of the year. i've seen what they can do and they can do a lot of damage in short time. they swarm like dark clouds by the millions, yes, MILLIONS...

cicadas are basically harmless although they pile up when dead and smell BAD!!! do NOT drive with the windows down and your hand out...you'll think someone shot your finger off. or you'll wish someone did.
i'd avoid the parks this year...

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   
The ground tempeture is 65 degrees today so they will be emerging today. Heres a recipe for them www.npr.org... There Cajun

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   
lol, AOL had recipes for them the other day...trying to tout them as being low carb high protien...

sorry i know we all eat insects (accidentally) but i'm not going to eat a bug THIS big...bad enough i've swallowed suicidal moths whole...not nasty just seem "dusty"...

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
my dad when he was little and the cicadas came he and his friends ties a needle on the end of a string and then caught one and put the needle thru it. instant flying bug on a string.

i think i'll try that it sounds pretty amusing...

by the way they came out every 17 years fly around make lots of noise breed lay dormant eggs and die. its supposed to happen all up and down the east coast. i have yet to see them but it should be any day now in NC...

[Edited on 5/13/04 by NothingMakesSense]

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Somewhere on-line I saw instructions on how to glue a fly's feet to a paper airplane, an if you glue enough of them onto it, they will take off.

IT was a pretty funny concept.- (Yeah yeah the flys probably didn't like it, but whatever)

Your bug-on-a-string idea reminded me.

Cicadias would be the most awesome airplane propellers, plus their legs are relativly easy to isolate.
Of course be sure to use a quick drying glue!!!

(Could those instuctions have been part of a conspiracy to increase crulty to animals!!)

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

that makes two of us and this monkey aint happy!

i remember the last time...frankfort ave. was cicada lane...loud and smelled AWFUL.

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]

If you live in the Cresent Hill/ Highlands area PM, then you are seriously screwed.
I drive through there everyday for work so I suspect I will have to wash my car ALOT!
I have a friend who lives on Eastern Pkwy and hates flying loud bugs... I think she will stroke out before this is all over with.
BTW for everyone else ignore this post, PM and I are apparently in the same city. That's why we make the street references.

Good luck in the cicada zones everyone!!!

Also, the "recipes" EWWWWWWWWWWWWWw

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
nah i'm darn near bullit county (okolona)....the country side can be far worse...it was in lagrange the last time they came out of the ground...i'm not going outside that much for the next couple of months...

(gets the willies and runs and hides under the bed)

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Well, 5/19 and still no bugs. I wonder where they are?

Anyone else seen any yet?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join