It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Hunts For The Missing Thunderbird Picture

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
the one Ive heard is that the thunderbird photos was confused with this photos of people holding a dead stork www.unexplained-mysteries.com... and they confused it with the hoax photos and that the missing photo is a resulting urban legend

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I have 'Mysteries of the Unexplained" edited by Carroll C. Calkins (blue hardcover book)
and on page 45 there is a story about a large creature about 10 ft wingspan found by some french
workmen in 1856. There is absolutely no picture that goes with it. to whoever claimed the photo was in here, sorry, your memory is off.
edit on 23-1-2013 by ANIMALM0THR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hi.....

A couple of day's ago I found this interesting topic about the "missing TB picture "...
Its a interesting read ...

I viewed the site of strangemag.com and decided to sent them a email about the picture, and asked if it is in one of their old and new magazine's... This morning I did get back a repley..this is what they wrote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------
As far as can be determined, in all probability there is no thunderbird photo. It's probably an urban legend. Our late founder Mark Chorvinsky researched this extensively and found that the earliest mention in print of the existence of a Thunderbird photo was in an article by a writer named Jack Pearl in the May 1963 issue of Saga magazine. It appears that Pearl may have been inspired by letters mentioning such a photo written to Fate magazine by an H.M. Cranmer. But while Cranmer, like many others since, claimed to have seen such a photo, he never claimed to actually have a copy in his possession. Mark spent days in the Library of Congress looking through all the magazines in which various people though they had seen the photo published, and never found it. He eventually concluded that it never really existed.

There's an extensive article on this in the online issue of Strange Magazine 21:

www.strangemag.com...

Regards,
Gregory Snook
Strange Magazine
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------
I am to convinced I did see this picture in some kind of book about cryptides ... I mean to recall it is in a Dutch version of a Readers Digest Book " Mysterieuse wezens " means "Mysterious creatures".
( I am from the Netherlands )

I will try to find this book in libraries and or second hand book stores...
I keep in touch...

Kind regards: Atylantis

reply to post by ANIMALM0THR

edit on 18-2-2013 by Atylantis because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2013 by Atylantis because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/18/2013 by Atylantis because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/18/2013 by Atylantis because: corrections

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Hi....

A reconstruction by me how I recall the picture I did see in the book:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Atylantis

So the picture you remember is not of a pterodactyl? Instead it is of a feathered bird?

I like your post and your recreation- -we need more people like you who are willing to dig deeper.

I think I will focus my search more on the two Pennsylvania men who borrowed the photo from Sanderson (though I doubt there is any information on this).
I have also narrowed my search for possible family members of Harry F. McClure to 63 residents in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I have all of their phone numbers and may give some of them a call one of these days. (there are posts on page 2 and 13 about this topic)

Good Searching

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Batan

So the picture you remember is not of a pterodactyl? Instead it is of a feathered bird?
That's the problem.. not sure if it was a bird or a pterodactyl / pteranodon against the barn...
But ok most important is to find this picture.. so we can give our self and others rest, so we don't have to think we are just a victim of a mass illusion ...

And I took next step into my search.. I emailed head office Readers Digest about the picture...

received this email from Reader's Digest 1 minute ago:

Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us within 24 hours.

Question Reference #xxxxxxx-xxxxxx
Summary: Missing thunderbird picture
Date Created: 02/19/2013 01:42 PM
Last Updated: 02/19/2013 01:42 PM

edit on 2/19/2013 by Atylantis because: adding new text

edit on 2/19/2013 by Atylantis because: Adding new info

edit on 2/19/2013 by Atylantis because: changed info

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Update:

No reply from Readers Digest yet...

Next step emailing Time Life about the picture...

I keep in touche

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey9438
the one Ive heard is that the thunderbird photos was confused with this photos of people holding a dead stork www.unexplained-mysteries.com... and they confused it with the hoax photos and that the missing photo is a resulting urban legend

No way! Firstly, I don't know how you wrongly thought several Thunderbird photos are missing (you referred to "photos"). There was always only ONE photo. Secondly, there is no way confusion with a dead stork occurred. Many of us (including me) remember CLEARLY seeing a photo of a group of men standing in front of what looks like a pterodactyl nailed to the wall (or door) of a barn. Do you REALLY think anyone would even bother to take a photo of men holding a stork one of them had shot? It's ludicrous! The "confusion" is simply a rather pathetic invention by those seeking to put this mystery to bed.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

I know there is one photo, that was a typo, and I always heard that the thunderbird photo was a giant bird not a pterosaur. but seeing as there are hoax photos depicting a pterosaur it could be possible that thats how they got mixed up with a photo of a stork. also how many people actualy can accuratley recall seeing the photo

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by grey9438

hundreds of people recall seeing the photo and perhaps much much more, however there is only a hand-full of people who have detailed stories of where or when they saw the picture. I for one have never seen the photo, but have known people who have supposedly seen it.

I just put in a couple of hours looking for the two men who Sanderson loaned his photocopy to. I only found that Sanderson received and loaned his photocopy in 1966. Other than that I came up completely empty. I will wast more time looking later.

Good Searching.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Batan

honestly snadersons story sounds almost like some kind of coverup, he loaned it and then it disappears. but who would really want to cover up a giant bird

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by grey9438

Well, you could be right. However I believe he did have a photo and he did loan it.

I did some searching on Unexplained-Mysteries.com. Somebody on there found a grainy photo that I have not seen before on ATS. It matches extremely close to what was described to be owned by Ivan T. Sanderson. This one looks really good, however I can't verify it because I have never seen the real thing. There is no information on the photo so I posted about it on there forum. Please take a look at it and see if it is what people remember. And apologies if it was already posted on this thread.
Here's the link: tinypic.com...

Good Searching.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Update:

Still no reply Readers Digest...

Still no reply Time Life....

I keep on searching...

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Thanks for the update.

So the picture I included (above), could that be the one you saw?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
It looks very close to it....

But I recal 3 people in front of the barn

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
"Then there is the unsolveable mystery of the thunderbird photo in which Ritchie’s remembrances played an essential part. “Keel’s writings prompted a memory from W. Ritchie Benedict, who recalled seeing Ivan T. Sanderson display the photo on a Canadian television show. Unfortunately, no copies of the show have ever been found." -posted by Loren Coleman on CryptoMundo.

W. Ritchie Benedict wrote a letter to Mark Hall regarding what he remembered: books.google.com...=onepage&q=W.%20Ritchie%20Benedict&f=false

"Berton has even become a footnote in the mysterious tale of a missing piece of cryptid evidence. As Mark A. Hall reports in his new book, Thunderbirds: America’s Living Legends of Giant Birds (Paraview, 2004), the biologist Ivan T. Sanderson is remembered to have appeared on The Pierre Berton Show with a photostat of a huge thunderbird affixed to the side of a barn. The “missing Thunderbird photograph” and Pierre Berton’s name are forever tied together in cryptozoology folklore." -by Loren Coleman © 2004

Ok, so I went looking for copies of the Pierre Berton show and found that McMaster University has a collection of taped episodes.....

McMaster University: Box 199
SECTION C: Scripts and Proposals For Television, Radio and Film
Each entry consists of one file.
Close-Up, CBC, interviews, notes, and scripts, 1958.
Pierre Berton Show, transcripts of taped sessions, contracts, correspondence, 1963-75.

Ivan T. Sanderson received and loaned his photocopy in 1966. So the episode that he displayed his photocopy in should be 1966. One day I will try and go there and look through their collection.

Does anyone live nearby McMaster University?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I e-mailed the McMaster Archive Librarian and asked if he had an episode that includes an interview with Sanderson. This was his reply:

> The Pierre Berton archive contains 14 videocassettes of some of episodes of The Pierre Berton Show, as listed below. Please review the list to see which tapes you would like to view, then let us know when you would like to come in--an appointment is necessary to view the videos as we will need to make sure a viewing room is available. We are open Monday to Friday, 9:00 to 5:00.
> Archives and Research Collections Librarian

> Box 403 "Pierre Berton Show" videocassette.
> T-120 VHS video recordings, mostly of older shows, put together in groups.
> 1. PBS: My Country Productions. Contains Anne Murray, 1970; Pierre Trudeau, 1968; Britt Ekland 1971; Neil Diamond 1971; Bruce Lee 1971; James Hoffa 1972.
> 2. PBS. "Image of Canada/How to Stay Young". n.d.
> 3. PBS: Elsa Franklin. Shows 1638, 1248, 1852, 1669, 1635, 1641, 1643, 1923, 1730.
> 4. PBS: Elsa Franklin. Shows 1806, 1812, 1816, 1921, 1846, 1848, 1844, 1845, 2081, 1048.
> 5. PBS: Elsa Franklin. Shows 1537, 1623, 1850, 1602, 1606, 2047, 1618, 2043, 2044, 1713.
> 6. PBS: Elsa Franklin. Shows 2068, 2094, 1867, 1941, 1887, 2090.
> 7. PBS: "What the Censors Suppressed"; "A Look at Lebanon"; "What Arab Students Think"; "Ghassan Tueni".
> 8. PBS: "Censorship in Mexico"; The Al Fatah Story".
> 9. PBS: "Burn in TC", Lily Tomlin/Helen Gurley Brown". To be aired Jan. 30, 1996.
> 10. PBS: "Pierre Berton Revisited". Shows 1, 2, 3.
> 11. PBS: "Al Capp & Dwight McDonald". Image of Canada #1. Feb. 5, 1997.
> 12. PBS: "Grey Owl/Allen Worthington".
> 13. PBS: "Jerry Kosinsky/Jerry Rubin". Feb. 5, 1997.
> 14. PBS: "Cooper", "Alinsky", "Goodman"

> There is no mention of Ivan Sanderson in the Pierre Berton archive. In addition to the tapes of some of his shows, we also have an extension collection of transcripts and other documents relating to the broadcasts, but there is no mention of Sanderson.

So I guess they do not own a copy of the supposed Pierre Berton/Sanderson interview. I will keep looking for other collections of the Pierre Berton Show

Good Searching.

edit on 27-2-2013 by Batan because: none

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Is this what you were looking for?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tzdub

Nope, those pictures are already posted.

The feather photo was a little interesting though.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Update:

Reply from Readers Digest:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Reader's Digest.

Unfortunately, we are not able to locate the requested information.
We have most of the archives for the past 20 years but there is no database prior to that time.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We appreciate your interest in Reader's Digest and the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

The Editors
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now lest hope Time Life does have a better reply....

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join