It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon UFO. Can you tell me what this is?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Tonight I was out playing with my camera, trying to get the hang of night shots. I was filming the moon in one minute intervals. In one of the segments something strange popped up.

I have no idea what it is. I was hoping one of our members could look at it and let me know. It just seemed out of place to me.

At just after ten seconds into the video, look to the right side, lower part of the moon. What is it that appears there?

media.abovetopsecret.com...

Any and all opinions are welcome. It could be a camera glitch, a satellite or a space ship. I honestly don't know.

What are your thoughts?

[edit on 4-8-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Its a trick of light and shadow....nothing to see here move along

Im guessing that its just an effect from your camera. If you look at the bottom of the moon as it rises, it looks like a green atmosphere too.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Awesome shot.
I think that it can bee seen that it is approaching from above the surface.
Whatever it is.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

nice catch - its the Moons tug boat no doubt!

S&F

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
A water droplet?

Seems to be the moon, a water droplet just shows it coming from the other side.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles
A water droplet?

Seems to be the moon, a water droplet just shows it coming from the other side.

Looks like a water droplet or piece of dust on the camera lens perhaps. It's refracting the moon's light as the edge of the moon approaches it.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Well, to me, it appears to be a solid object and in rotation of the moon.
What ever it is you got a great shot of it.

Try to film at the same time on other nights to see if it may be a satellite
making it's rounds.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by azureskys]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Interesting find. Sounds familiar.
Fastwalkers come to mind.

Fastwalker?

Such flashes of light and color could be attributed to meteor impacts or perhaps some kind of gaseous emissions, but harder to explain are the "fastwalkers" that have been videotaped by several amateur observers. This one, from the Lunascan Project, is a capture from a video taken by an amateur Japanese astronomer several years ago.

FastWalker 2The dark object moved from north to south some unknown distance above the lunar surface. What could account for this anomaly? A satellite orbiting the moon? (It would have to be enormous to show up like this.) A satellite orbiting the Earth that happened to cross the the observer's field of view as he or she was videotaping the moon? (Steve Davis at Lunascan puts this idea in doubt, too.) So what could the unexplained object be?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I think you definately have some activity there.

S&F.

I was looking at the moon through my binoculars about 3 to 4 hours ago. The moon was really bright and clear. I'm in Scotland. I thought I saw something very small and black/dark zip around the lower third. I just assumed it was some NASA stuff or a satelite.

You seem to have a few things moving around there. Is there any way you can enlarge and scan the whole surface on your video for a closer look?

The object you are talking about is not a water droplet or lens effect IMHO.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by maya27
The object you are talking about is not a water droplet or lens effect IMHO.

The water droplet or piece of dust is a testable theory.
First of all, check your lens now. See any contamination on it? Maybe a water spot? you need to hold it up to a bright light source to get a good look.

If so, try making more videos of the moon where the contamination crosses the moons edge at different points. If the "object" can be explained by the contamination on the lens it will be repeatable. If it was a droplet of condensation, then it may have evaporated and you may not be able to duplicate it this way.

Make a video with a clean lens for reference.
Then put a piece of dust on the lens, pan the moon so it crosses the dust, and see what that looks like.
Do the same thing with a small water droplet (note it's a tiny droplet, like you might get from condensation, not like from an eyedropper. You'd have to use a toothpick or something to apply a droplet that small.)
See what happens when you pan the moon with a water droplet on your lens.

It doesn't have to remain a mystery or matter of opinion, it will look somewhat similar or else it won't. You could even post your test videos.

Good luck.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I had to see it three times just to catch what OP is trying to show.

It remains exactly at one place, not a pixel here or there, then the moon's brightness makes it indistinguishable. So it must be on the camera and its the moon that is moving.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

First of all, check your lens now. See any contamination on it? Maybe a water spot? you need to hold it up to a bright light source to get a good look.

The lens on the camera is clean. I took 20 one minute shots of the moon and of the 20, this is the only one that had anything even slightly odd about it.

Ah well, thanks for the input folks.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I gotta admit that really looks like something orbiting the moon, any estimates as to how big it would have to be to be visible with that cam?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It would be cool if someone could enhance the video to get a clearer shot.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
I gotta admit that really looks like something orbiting the moon, any estimates as to how big it would have to be to be visible with that cam?

The camera I'm using is a Sony miniDVD 810 Handycam with up to 2000 zoom. I was using the basic 25X zoom last night. I also had a UV filter on the lens. It's a hybrid plus which means I can record to DVD, 8 gig internal memory or 1 gig memory card. I was recording to the internal memory.

Like I said though, I have no idea what that is. It just seemed odd to me.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
it's quick too isn't it......
how many laps you think it does in one night?

if it is revolving around the moon then you should be able to film it again....
if you get the same thing twice, then that would be pretty convincing.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Could that possibly be that Japan thingy mapping the Moon, I have no clue if that thing is still up there doing that or could it be the thingy we sent there circling till Oct. until we crash it on the Moon.

I know I gave meself a headache also

[edit on 5-8-2009 by observe50]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
#1) If this is time lapse video at 1 minute intervals, why is the audio continuous?

#2) Given the horrible resolution and bitrate of that video, there is absolutely NO WAY to make any real determination of what, if anything, you are talking about.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I can't get the video to play. Someone told me to downloaded a new version of flash player. Nothing worked. Just a blank, black screen. What do I do now? Can anyone help?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Dispatcherator
#1) If this is time lapse video at 1 minute intervals, why is the audio continuous?

I didn't say time lapse. I recorded for one minute, stopped recording, recorded for another minute, stopped recording. recorded for another minute, stopped recording. etc, etc...

#2) Given the horrible resolution and bitrate of that video, there is absolutely NO WAY to make any real determination of what, if anything, you are talking about.

The original recording came it at 24.2 mb's. I'm pretty sure it was condensed when uploaded to ATS.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join