It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Issues with thread titles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I've noticed that in Aliens & UFOs forum, recently there's an increase of all-caps titles, claiming that it's 100% proof and stuff like that.
Since it always turns out to be a lie, wouldn't be a nice solution to (at least) warn the members who deceive their fella that way? We should protect our honest members after all, and many could take some garbage very seriously. Question marks exist for some reasons.
Can please some actions be taken towards the LIARS? Or are lies allowed on ATS?
Sorry for venting.
-Internos

[edit on 2/8/2009 by internos]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

It seems that if members create a tabloid style headline, more people will visit the thread... It only serves as an attention seeking device.

Sadly most ATS points garnered from such threads are from people that are angry at the gross exaggerations and non substantiated claims within the authors Original Post.

It would be great if affirmative action could be taken against it and a more moderate approach to thread titles adopted.

IRM

[edit on 2/8/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I think a lot of folk will agree with the sentiment. I don't often read them as they're inevitably mistaken. I guess they're like a 'junior sandpit' where younger members get carried away with their enthusiasm. At 14 or 15 I believed everything I read in the UFO magazines and couldn't understand why people thought it was all BS. I understand too well now

If people have been on ATS a while they should know better. A 'warn' seems fair and discretionary.

If it's a new kid with too much enthusiasm...we werethat kid once

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The ALERT Button exists for a reason too.

Springer...

[edit on 8-2-2009 by Springer]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I hear what you're saying Springer and I completely agree that the alert button can be used for this purpose, as no doubt, it has in the past to good effect.

I guess the one sticking issue for me is that many of us do not want to appear as serial/petty whiners about these types of issues. As an example, many times in the past, I have wanted to hit the alert button but have second guessed upon it and neglected to do so for the afore mentioned reason.

Though staff may not perceive the action being as such, the thought remains in the back of my mind that there are more important things for staff to dedicate their energies toward, and one may appear as more of a nuisance diverting their attentions.

I think, when it boils down to it, the are many members here who truly care for the integrity of the phenomena, the research and the way that it may be viewed by the casual observer on the site.

It does feel like an uphill battle most of the time to have UFOlogy taken seriously (as you know) and it's the constant sensationalism by the few that grind on those putting their heart, soul and many years of toil into presenting a phenomena that will be palletable to the mainstream.

Kandinsky also raised a valid point that it's simple case of passing the thread by with the foreknowledge that it's likely to fall short of it's claims, and again, I completely agree that this is a good tactic... but the problem still remains for others that may not be so savvy.

Perhaps we could have a sticky thread on how to recognize the hallmarks of a thread that is unlikely to deliver any more than disappointment?

Perhaps a filter that automatically changes 'UPPERCASE' Thread Title strings into 'Heading Case' and searches the string for repetitive exclamation points and deletes them if there's more than one in a row?
(joke)

Anyhow, I'll finish on a positive note by saying were lucky to have such a wonderful place as ATS to meet and exchange our ideas on such a vast array of topics. Many Thanks for making it possible mate!

IRM

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I've been 'whining' a lot lately.

Maybe something could be instituted where a new thread from members that are new, like to a certain "ATS age" are locked until a mod reviews the title to content ratio. Just a suggestion.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I don't know how many times SkepticOverlord and I have asked the members to PLEASE USE THE ALERT BUTTON because there is no way 60 staffers can look at 6,000+ new posts each and every day, but I'll do it again.

I can see how it could appear as though you could be seen as a chronic whiner/complainer/etc... but BELIEVE me when I tell you it's just NOT the case when you are alerting legitimate violations of the TAC (all caps and false/misleading titles are against the TAC).

The only time we frown upon multiple "alerts" is when people use the system in the hope of getting someone who disagrees with them or their position in hot water. It's fairly obvious when that happens so it's not much of an issue.

Seriously, we need the help. We ask for the help, it's pretty hard to take complaints about thread titles seriously when I go look in the alerts forum and don't see an alert about it.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Springer, i hope that you didn't take it as some complaint towards ATS staff, that's the last thing i would do and if it came out that way i apologize: ATS staff do a great work, they helped every time i've alerted them. I use the alert button whenever i think that it's needed and try to avoid it whenever it's possible: the point I was trying to make is that some titles are not very far from being hoaxes themselves, and people craving from flags should find some alternative way to get flags: basically, they are unfair, and i find this somewhat sad, especially in front of those members who title their threads in some appropriate way. Some days ago the first page of Aliens & UFOs forum was a list of all caps, exclamation marks, 100% proofs, nasa busted doing this and doing that etcetera
Your clarification regarding both the "Alert" button and all caps and false/misleading titles is very satisfactory for me.
Thank you

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by internos

It seems that if members create a tabloid style headline, more people will visit the thread...

EXCLUSIVE! BAT BOY REVEALS THE TRUTH ABOUT OBAMA!
"I want to come clean," Bat Boy tells reporters.

Ahh, just imagine!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Here's a beauty, just started today:

"Nibiru Smacks Intae Jupiter ??? what was this"

Ya just gotta smile....

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I have a question:

I alerted staff that the thread "Real UFOs" should be changed to "Real UFOs???" since the first title is a bit misleading, as most people put "UFO" and "alien" in the same category. Of course it is not up to me to make that decision but I just am curious as to the no change? Not trying to cause any issues here, just wondering for future reference.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

If we attempted that level of micro-managing titles we'd never get anything else done.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I understand, and it is as I thought. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I guess I am too picky sometimes.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
And, the thing with UFOs is that it is an Unidentified Flying Object until it becomes identified.

Someone could honestly say they saw something unknown to them, and it technically would be considered a UFO.

Splitting hairs? Not really. However, I agree that people fling the "proof of aliens" about rather too frequently, especially when it's the same Youtube video on 10 different (pre-existing) threads.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by The Soothsayer

Yes "UFO" technically means unidentified flying object, but we must keep in mind that the majority of people associate "UFO" with "aliens". And since this site gets so much traffic I think it is a good idea to make titles as clear and misleading as possible. But, I have to agree with Springer, that is just too small an issue to worry about in the vastness of ATS and all of its' more major issues.

new topics

top topics

join