It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STOP THE EMOTICONS!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
To all the Mods, Super Mods and Admins: Please, PLEASE stop the new emoticons!

I'm not that upset with an occasional 'chuckle-face' or 'frownie', but the new enhancements are allowing a totally unacceptable form of communication here! Please STOP THIS NOW!

This whole site (I thought) was about denying ignorance. But these friggin emoticons are ENHANCING IGNORANCE!

Where once, a poster had to coherently express a thought in words - and granted, some were better than others, but so be it - NOW, a poster can respond with the likes of:
(poster) Dude, U R (frownie with middle finger) an I tink U R (constipated smiley face). Y don U go to (frownie in flames) UR lame....

Ugggghhhh! These things are spreading like a virus. More and more, the intra-web is being clogged with this electronic effluvia. Don't let it happen here! Denying ignorance is NOT going to be achieved by facilitating those that cannot express a cogent thought. Allowing posters to use these insipid emoticons is a travesty and, I believe, a heresy to the goals and ideals of ATS.

Granted, I understand that not all members are well versed in English or perhaps even of tender years or mentality. We should all be constructive and understanding in those instances (grammar police relax). But at least make them TRY. Greasing the sluice of stupidity is not going to make this site better. Please stop allowing the usage of crude symbolic pictographs to substitute for actual communication.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by passenger

We have new emotions? Since when. I don't see any, I know they have different ones on BTS, which you may or may not go to an dif you don't go their you won't know about them. So where are these "new" emotions?

Also people express themselves differently, cannot fault them for that.

[edit on Jul 28th 2009 by TheMythLives]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

whats the big deal?

they freakin you out?

why so angry?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I hope you dont mean me?
Just kidding, really I had not noticed any problem in the threads I visit...

edit to say

[edit on 28-7-2009 by antar]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
What happened to my request for a gay biker emoticon ???

as some concepts can only be illustrated with such !!!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

You wasted space making a WHOLE thread about this? You could have posted in the Issues thread.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I agree

It's stuff like this that makes me so mad
!

I'd much rather see a
or a
, instead of reading people's posts who have to use internet abbreviations, leet, and text talk. How can we take anyone seriously when they exclaim OMG! IMHO I LOL! or - like that.

Its that stuff that makes me want to

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
GTG in state of wonder.....
Where are these so called new emoticons???????

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Geez, anal much?

If they bother you so badly just get firefox with ad block and block 'em all. Problem solved.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

Im fairly sure he means the emoticons from BTS as they are different from the run of the mill smileys.

Threads been moved now

[edit on 28-7-2009 by pazcat]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
To all above posters:

Yeah, maybe I just noticed them - I'll readily admit that I'm not all that tech savvy myself. I can barely operate the toaster oven, what with all those three buttons and lights and stuff.

But lately, I've noticed, or become sober enough to notice, an unsettling increase in the number of posts that go thus:
U (emoticon) R (emoticon), etc. (emoticon) etc.

Whether or not the emoticons existed prior is irrelevant. And truthfully, I never really had a problem with it because most of the posters knew when and where to use it - as in the previous (I'll never admit they made me laugh) example posts.

But, it seems to me - based on personal experience here - that the @#$%ing things are starting to be abused. I say, stop them NOW before they get out of control!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
What happened to my request for a gay biker emoticon ???
as some concepts can only be illustrated with such !!!

You Sir, made me spit my beer. You owe me a new beer and a new keyboard. Please send cash.

(Yeah, I know it's a one-liner and people will beat me for violating that rule while complaining about the emoticons....

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

ok thanx!

Those BTS ones i knew of.

However i never bothered using them over in the ATS side of things.

Its too much hassle for nothing and can be disturbing....

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by passenger
Ugggghhhh! These things are spreading like a virus. More and more, the intra-web is being clogged with this electronic effluvia. Don't let it happen here! Denying ignorance is NOT going to be achieved by facilitating those that cannot express a cogent thought. Allowing posters to use these insipid emoticons is a travesty and, I believe, a heresy to the goals and ideals of ATS.

Man you need some serious CHILL PILLS

Don't worry be happy...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Internet shorthand
www.netlingo.com...

:shk:

:bash::bnghd:

Mod Edit: Too many emoticons in a single line breaks the page.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Oh wow---where did that bouncy one come from

I want it

I'm bein deprived

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
My goodness, I suppose that I should not allow my ire to build up to unreasonable levels on such an innocuous subject...

perhaps we should just all return to communicating by imprinting upon clay tablets with our styluses

i surely hope that there is no "modern day" movement that purports to further the "Luddite" agenda!
:shk:

Luddite

1. A Luddite is a person who dislikes technology, especially technological devices that threaten existing jobs or interfere with personal privacy.

2. A Luddite is someone who is incompetent when using new technology.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Snisha]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Originally posted by Snisha

Luddite

1. A Luddite is a person who dislikes technology, especially technological devices that threaten existing jobs or interfere with personal privacy.

2. A Luddite is someone who is incompetent when using new technology.

Very nice word! I like! *implements it into her written and spoken vocabulary*

Man the rage that comes off this thread is enormous! Those feeling CAN NOT be only about emoticons. If so, seek professional help. No, Im not being a smartie and I couldnt be more serious.

If something like this upsets you - the OP - this much - not normal. You dont have to suffer like this.

Go to the Dr and show them this LOL

They will see:
:bash: and most impportantly :bnghd: and .

The Drs. will explain how this is way out there and help you. Again, Im not being a smartie and I am dead serious. You dont have to suffer like this - sad to watch. I use to be highly excitable... those days are over. Please do as I did and help yourself. It doesnt need to be treated with drugs - rather - behavorial therapy. Dont hop on pills but DO hop to the Dr.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Emoticons are great, embrace them...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec15f00d5b46.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/15e3ce08f6b8.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a31d7243d6c5.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/333f6b5beff3.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f9b6fcc1e94.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Emoticons are great, embrace them...