It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS Typo Leads Couple 400 Miles Off Course

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

ROME — Officials say a Swedish couple looking for the pristine waters of the popular island of Capri ended some 400 miles (660 kilometers) away in the northern industrial town of Carpi after misspelling the destination on their car's GPS.

Angelo Giovannini, a spokesman for the Carpi town hall, near Modena, said Tuesday the couple drove into the main square last week and asked the local tourist office how to reach Capri's famed Blue Grotto sea cave.

Giovannini said "we thought they might mean a restaurant. Capri is an island, they did not even wonder why they didn't cross any bridge or take any boat."

He said the couple, who were not identified, arrived from Venice and later set off to their planned destination at the other end of the Italian peninsula.

Source Article: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
LOLz!!! This is a perfect example of man's reliance on technology. Give me a good old folding paper map any day of the week. I can't believe these fools went 400 miles before surmising that they were "off course"...serves 'em right!

Just my 2-cents

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Wow people never cease to amaze me. Over 6 hours of driving and they never bothered to look at the gps map right in front of them to see that they are going in the wrong direction. I always keep a paper map with me just in case and its saved me a from frustration many times.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
A perfect example of technology not being a cure-all, particularly without a dab of common sense.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
How many news articles of people blindly following their GPS to drive off of bridges, or into rivers, or into brick walls, before people learn that Common Sense should prevail and GPS is just your backup when Common Sense gets you lost?

Maps are nice, and GPS devices are nice too. However, neither are ever an excuse for leaving your Common Sense behind.

While people fear that Mandatory Immunizations, GMO Foods, or Fluoride in our Water Supply are attempts to sterilize the masses and enforce depopulation, I read things like this and realize TPTB don't have to do anything to depopulate the masses. Darwinism is doing a good enough job as it is.

Good read OP! Thanks.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gatorboi117

LOL made me laugh, Do these people not look at road signs. I bet they just go in a straight line until they hear that unforgeable robot voice "Turn Left"

I remember a report a few years ago in the UK where a couple had driven into a river, I mean come on do they not look where they are going. I would take each one of these people and make them retake there driving test, in my opinion navigation/map reading should be part of the practical test anyway.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I know,people rely on GPS too much.Read a story about a taxi driver being charged after driving on a train track because his GPS told him it was a road.A taxi driver is the last person you would think to make such a mistake...

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Um, the cause of this is because they can't spell.
Its pretty obvious from some on THIS site, it happens.

I wonder when they will just sue the manufacturer
because they wouldn't dare take responsibility?

These peeps have a few loooooooooose screws,
and probably should go back to skoooool.

BTW, a census taker drove into a neighbors ditch because
her GPS told her it was a road, not a ditch!

We really are screwed aren't we?
The dumb people of the world will do us ALL in at some point.
Either that or maybe just an asteroid.....
news.yahoo.com...

Wonder what the odds are of being taken out by a dumba**
at any given time? Probably astronomical!

[edit on 29-7-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
The "higher" the consumer tech gets the dumber the consumer gets. When the skill of orienteering has been reduced to pressing a button and following orders a lot less has to go wrong to bring about catastrophe.

I see it a lot with computer-tech. In the 80's and 90's you had to be on top of things to be productive by any measure. You needed to know the machine you were working with and every machine it was connected to inside and out.

Now, even though young kids are growing up with "high tech", you ask them how something works or why it works a certain way and they look lost and dumbfounded.

Naturally, folks arent missing a chance to profit. Microsoft packages and sells the ability of client side hosting, something understood and worked out free of charge since the first two computers were connected to each other and sells it to idiot kids for a profit. Sort of like bottled water. Ask them what "service" they are paying for and you get a string of insults, assumptions and fanboy venom.

Once upon a time it was absurd to not know how to change your own oil. Before that it was unfathomable to not know how to acquire and clean game.

There may be great minds in the minority pushing the species further along the track but the vast majority are getting progressively dumber with each passing day as a side effect of the work of those great minds.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

The "higher" the consumer tech gets the dumber the consumer gets.

I love that line very true indeed, I have seen just how dump people can get. A woman I know was on the Phone to her Internet Service Provider regarding an upgrade, they said they would send confirmation of the upgrade via email, what she said will haunt her forever.

"What day will it come, My Dog normally chews the post up"

God help us

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
"The computer is telling me to Press any key to continue"...but...

I can't find the ANY key!

The best UNIX instructor I knew would not allow his students to use the GUI until they had mastered the CLI.

new topics

top topics

join