It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Intelligent Humans/Dolphins/Ants/Trees etc. ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Just a tongue cheek question not to be taken too seriously.

Is man really the most intelligent species on earth. I'm not arguing if aliens are here or not or even real or not. Just the typically accepted earthling species.

I have always found the quote from the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy quite an interesting one despite being from fictional humour.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (novel)
en.wikiquote.org...'s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy
Chapter 23
For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons.

Are we really that intelligent when we really do such stupid things, eg. pollution/war/greed/envy etc. Or others for not doing these things?

Also on a side note who is to say for example ants/bees/termites aren't more intelligent when you look at the highly complexed societies they develop. Or even a tree when you look at how they can develop/evolve to have certain trait such as a flower that looks like certain insects, so that the flower will attract that certain insect to pollinate, despite supposedly not having eyes to see how said insect looks.

Is not far to say that the understanding of the level of intelligence of our brother/sister species of this planet, (I say brother/sister species because we all created/evolved on this planet, depending on your personal point of view.) really just a lack of communication or understanding each particular specious level of conscienceness?

PS. Sorry if post is in wrong forum.
PPS. any edits only to correct spelling mistakes etc.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by acrux]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Ants and termites have hive mentalities. Each performs a specific function like a pre-programmed robot on a production line. This does not make them smart. There really is no sense of self. In short, no IQ or EQ.

Tree's intrigue me. I wouldn't be surprised if they were highly intelligent. Certainly one of the oldest and long living lifeforms on Earth. Once we get past the prejudice that something doesn't have to look like a mamal to be intelligent, we may actually learn something from them.

Octopuses are also highly intelligent and emotional creatures. They pre-plan and can create solutions to complex problems. Some say they are comparable to a smart dog but personally I think our understanding of them is limited to our own intelligence - which is nothing to brag about.

Octopuses, Cuttlefish and Squid rock!

IRM

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Octopuses are also highly intelligent and emotional creatures. They pre-plan and can create solutions to complex problems. Some say they are comparable to a smart dog but personally I think our understanding of them is limited to our own intelligence - which is nothing to brag about.

Octopuses, Cuttlefish and Squid rock!

IRM

Yes sorry I meant to include these but forgot. Seen videoes when their camouflage techniques are incredible. eg set on a chess board & can camouflage perfectly. Highly intelligent creatures.

As to insects despite hive mentality could it not be argued they accept this for the greater good of their society. If humans accepted this, imagine what we could achieve together, but I personally couldn't stand being dominated like that.

new topics

join