It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dad threw girl off cliff to avoid child support

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Dad threw girl off cliff to avoid child support

www.foxnews.com

LOS ANGELES — A father who had no interest in his 4-year-old daughter did the unimaginable — hurling her off a 120-foot cliff to avoid paying child support, a prosecutor said Monday during the man's murder retrial.

Cameron Brown, 47, has pleaded not guilty to one count of murder in the death of Lauren Sarene Key in November 2000. If convicted, he could face life in prison without parole.

Deputy District Attorney Craig Hum said during his opening statement that Brown killed Lauren because he didn't want to pay about $1,000 a month in child support.

Defense attorney Pat Harris co
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Wow just wow! How on earth could someone do this? course the defendant says it was an accident so im not going to point the finger yet.But if this is true it makes me sick to my stomach,what sort of person could do this?.This is also the result of a society that cherishes money over anything else,we really need to get our priorities in order and stop this obsession with money.Of course this man being a despicable creature is the main factor(if the story is true).

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Wow....
Each day, I read these posts, and I become more numb to the horrifying acts of mankind...
When will it end? How did we 'evolve' to this point?

Is there a way to end my membership of the human race and just start my own club for the non-psychos?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Don't be so quick to think the dad is automatically responsible just because of all the other sickos in the world. After all the evidence is presented, if the jury finds him guilty, he deserves his life imprisonment 100%, but to slander an innocent man is foolish. I will wait for the verdict before I form an opinion.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
No doubt, whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Oh wait, we're no longer abiding by the Constitution or Rules of Law in the country. I forgot. My bad. Back to my Sheeple Coral. Sorry Masters.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
A 4-year-old should NOT be near a 120 ft. cliff.
That, in itself, is a crime....

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I think it's pretty obvious that the father is responsible for her death. What was his excuse exactly? She "accidentally" fell? He clearly wanted nothing to do with her, and that gave him motive to kill her. Of course he's going to plead not guilty. His plan wasn't to kill her, and go to prison. He'll look to get off.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The reasons for the case: Money and Insanity.

Client pleads: Not Guilty.

Punishment: Death Penalty.

Case Dismissed.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by bobbylove321]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bvproductions

A 4-year-old should NOT be near a 120 ft. cliff.
exactly.this is absoutely negligent homicide at the very least..if your not bright enough to keep your 4 yr old from waking off a cliff. you deserve death any way. he's guilty w/ out a trial.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
There was a case of a father shooting his family and then himself after setting his house on fire last year in the UK. People snap under intense financial stress. It's no excuse, but there is some mental health issues to be considered first. The brain is a complex organ, and there are mental health problems that we just don't understand. Maybe this man wasn't in full control of his actions... who knows until he has gone to trial..... and maybe then we won't have a complete answer.

Some of life's stresses can push people with mental health issues over the edge.... (pun not intended!).

Mixtures of drug abuse added with a crap upbringing are common causes as well.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Stupid worthless sack of crap this man is. How could throw a child off a cliff? wtf?

All so he didn't have to pay a grand or 2 or whatever a month for child support? (I assume thats how much it is)

I have a 4 year old daughter and I'd never even have her freely walking around a cliff in the first place! And that doesnt mean we won't go hiking, we will, but my wife and I will hold onto our daughter in dangerous areas. Even if this was an accident its still irresponsible parenting, imo.

Disgusting.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Obviously he still won't be paying child support in prison either. This guy may have been suicidal and planned on jumping as well. 9 years later though?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
$1000/month is a lot of money for child support.

What is bad is that in most cases, the money is spent on everything but the kid.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by aleon1018
Obviously he still won't be paying child support in prison either. This guy may have been suicidal and planned on jumping as well. 9 years later though?

You'd be surprised how many people kill themselves each day by jumping in front of trains. In the UK alone they are several a week. I can't imagine how many altogether kill themselves in the world. I would guess 100's a day.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Hey, c'mon folks. The guy didn't ask for the kid, or child support. The mom should've not had the kid, or allowed visitation. I think the daddy was just lightening the load a little. Next time the momma won't have a baby with a dirt bag, and now he doesn't have child support.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I guess some people might want to point out that the State can not afford to pay his upkeep in prison, so he's to be thrown off the same cliff...

I don't really support State sanctioned death sentences. However, I could see why the girl's maternal relatives would want to push him over the cliff.

We had a similar case in Melbourne, which made the breaking news about a year ago, where a father stopped in traffic and threw his four-year old girl off the Westgate Bridge. I don't know why these arseholes choose to toss the kid. Throw themselves off and leave the kids at home with someone who loves them instead.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
$1000/month is a lot of money for child support.

What is bad is that in most cases, the money is spent on everything but the kid.

Precisely, what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Absolutely nothing.

It almost seems as you are trying to justify this man's actions in the most crass way possible.

For the sake of argument, let's say the child's death was accidental. If anything the father is guilty of gross negligence for placing his child in harm's way. Anyone who has ever been around a four-year old know how active and curious they can be at times. Bringing an active child anywhere close to a cliff is nothing short of bad parenting.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

I do not know about anything in China. Never been there.

I am just saying that $1000 seems to be a lot of money to pay for one child. Then add to the fact that most of the time the money is not even used on the child. If that was the financial straw that broke the camel's back. It could be what pushed him over the edge, so to speak, to do the unthinkable.

I am not justifying his daughter's death in anyway.

One of the problem's is that most of the people in this thread are condemning the man before he has even gone to trial, including you.

Innocence until proven guilty anyone?

And I guess you have never taken you children sightseeing.

Wyoming has some lovely mountain ranges . . . and they have cliffs! And you know what? My kids stood on one and looked at the scenery! *gasp*

My kids have also stood on a pretty good drop-off into a river, and crossed bridges on foot that did not have mile high fences to protect people from jumping/falling.

Accidents happen. That does not make it gross negligence.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I'm serious. I think the guy's a dirt bag, but what was the momma thinking? I've seen it a lot, and it's common in the USA now.

For example a guy working for me had a son. The son was 19; the last I heard he was a 3 strike felon, and now sitting in prison...FOR LIFE.

However, this is not before he had knocked up 5 chicks. Each one knowing about the previous.

I did the dad a favor, and stopped by his son's abode after work one day. This was right before the last strike against the son; any ways' I walked into the house as well. There was one momma with her kid playing on the floor in a sea of cigerette butts, and empty beer bottles. The 'boy', that momma, and the newer pregnant one were all there doing 'illicit drugs'. I left immediately, but was in awe at the entire scene. It burnt into my mind.

The most incredible aspect about it was where the mindset of those women were? Why would they choose that?

Just like in this story why'd the momma have a baby with a dirtbag? I'd say she's partly responsible too.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
There doesn't seem to be any hard evidence in this case, at least that is mentioned in the article.

Just because the father demanded a paternity test and didn't have contact with the child in the beginning doesn't mean that he'd murder his child.

Having a child near a cliff isn't necessarily negligent, although it could be.

I live next to the Sandia Mountains and people take their kids to the peak all the time.

If he did what he's accused of, then life in prison is not punishment enough.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join