It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorists could use internet to launch nuclear attack: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Terrorists could use internet to launch nuclear attack: report

www.prisonplanet.com

Terrorists groups could soon use the internet to help set off a devastating nuclear attack, according to new research.

The claims come in a study commissioned by the International Commission on Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament (ICNND), which suggests that under the right circumstances, terrorists could break into computer systems and launch an attack on a nuclear state – triggering a catastrophic chain of events that would have a global impact.

Without better protection of computer and information systems, the paper suggests, governments around the world are leaving open the p
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This story originated from London, so I don't think it is in any connection to the recent "cybersecurity pleas" from the Obama administration.

While the possibility of a radical group gaining access to actual launch systems is remote, the study suggests that hackers could focus on feeding in false information further down the chain – or spreading fake information to officials in a carefully orchestrated strike.

"Despite claims that nuclear launch orders can only come from the highest authorities, numerous examples point towards an ability to sidestep the chain of command and insert orders at lower levels," said Jason Fritz, the author of the paper. "Cyber-terrorists could also provoke a nuclear launch by spoofing early warning and identification systems or by degrading communications networks."

Since these systems are not as well-protected as those used to launch an attack, they may prove more vulnerable to attackers who wish to tempt another nation into a nuclear response.

Governments around the world have recently stepped up their commitment to increasing cyber-defence, after a number of high-profile incidents in which hackers launched attacks on foreign nations. Recent online conflicts, as well as reported attacks on government computer systems in the US, UK and elsewhere have increased the stakes.
www.guardian.co.uk...

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
wow, this is bad. We should shut down the Internet and ban the home-using of computers! Also we should not allow train travel, air, road travel or pedestrian walks. Because terrorist could use it!!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
wow, this is bad. We should shut down the Internet and ban the home-using of computers! Also we should not allow train travel, air, road travel or pedestrian walks. Because terrorist could use it!!

If only the government could have its way, eh?!!?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Terrorists groups could soon use the internet to help set off a devastating nuclear attack, according to new research.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Whoever came up with that or thinks this should be kicked in the face.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

I have to agree, and if some country actually has their nukes on a network of any ind needs to be immediately overthrown and nukes disposed off.

This has to be the most blatant attempt of propaganda I've ever seen.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
ha, they really are coming up with anything they can so they can start regulating the internet. this terrorism thing is really getting old..

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This sounds too much like the plotline of the movie "War Games", in which a teenage hacker gets into NORAD and nearly starts World War 3!

If it were possible to do this, with all the security, firewalls and encryption protocols, I feel that someone would have really done this before now.

Somehow, I can't take this too seriously......

Roy.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by royspeed

Impossible...the nuke launch computers shouldnt be hooked up to the net anyway

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who found this to be absurd. If a nuclear occurs anytime soon, which I highly doubt, it definitely won't be because terrorist's master plan to use the internet.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by spewn

Watch the new War Games movie.

It is, technically possible.

By the way . . . I am seeing a nice tie in to the 4chan/AT&T debacle this past weekend.

top topics

join