It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My arrest hell after gang beat son

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheNetherlands

So, you think that if you stab someone once in 'self defense' he's just going to say "Oh, I was so wrong, I apologize, how about we get to know each other over a spot of tea?"

No, he's going to come at you again, you'll stab him again, etc... untill one of you is dead or disabled.

But, it's not like he was being attacked by someone armed with a bananna, now is it?

[edit on 29-7-2009 by SpacePunk]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86
You don't get arrested for gun ownership. You get arrested for illegal gun ownership. There's not a ban on all guns, we've got a shotgun upstairs actually, perfectly legal.

How do you have a shotgun though? I bet you've got it either for hunting or through some sort of gun club?

You'd know better than me, seeing as I don't even know how to legally obtain a gun in this country, but do you have to give reasons when you buy a gun?

I mean, in the USA, people buy guns purely for self defence.

I know farmers can probably get guns for keeping animals off their land etc, but I live on a housing estate.... could I legally buy a gun for self defence?

I think that's the point here... maybe you can have a gun, and use it in self defence, but are you actually LEGALLY ALLOWED to buy a gun solely for the purpose of defending your family and property?

[edit on 30/7/09 by axehappy]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by axehappy

You don't get arrested for gun ownership. You get arrested for illegal gun ownership. There's not a ban on all guns, we've got a shotgun upstairs actually, perfectly legal.

How do you have a shotgun though? I bet you've got it either for hunting or through some sort of gun club?

You'd know better than me, seeing as I don't even know how to legally obtain a gun in this country, but do you have to give reasons when you buy a gun?

I mean, in the USA, people buy guns purely for self defence.

I know farmers can probably get guns for keeping animals off their land etc, but I live on a housing estate.... could I legally buy a gun for self defence?

I think that's the point here... maybe you can have a gun, and use it in self defence, but are you actually LEGALLY ALLOWED to buy a gun solely for the purpose of defending your family and property?

[edit on 30/7/09 by axehappy]

My dad used to live on a farm as a lad. He had a gun, as farmers do. Now we live in the suburbs four miles outside of Birmingham. I live on a normal housing estate and we keep the gun legally, locked in a cabinet.

The old bill come round and check it once every 4 years. I've never even seen it out of the case, and i doubt we've even got any ammo for it, but the fact remains its there and entirely legal.

My point to the previous poster was that people don't "get arrested for having guns", they get arrested for having illegal guns. There are several guns that are perfectly legal in this country, as long as you are of 'good character' and can afford the licensing.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   

There are several guns that are perfectly legal in this country, as long as you are of 'good character' and can afford the licensing.

But you'd still need a valid reason to have one. Your dad lived on a farm, so he had a gun, and still has it.
That's totally understandable.

But if I went to buy a gun, and they asked me why I wanted one, I bet you I wouldn't be allowed one if I told them it was for home security.

Granted, I've never tried and may be totally wrong... but most people would have guns if it was legal to purchase a weapon for security, right?

That, to me, is the main problem. We (Well, most of us) don't have a useful weapon for defending our home.
The only weapon that is truely effective in deterring or killing an assailant/intruder is a gun... something it is not easy to legally own (especially not for that purpose) in the UK.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by axehappy

To be honest mate, i've got no idea. He hasn't lived on the farm since he was 18, and he's 64 now. He's not a member of a gun club, and doesn't go hunting, yet they don't revoke his license, despite him having no real reason to own a gun in a built up suburban area.

You have to go down to the cop shop and get a form off them to fill in. I think gun ownership in this country is down to the local police's discretion, but i may be wrong.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Eh

I can see a fair argument from both sides here.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Sorry, but that is patently untrue. It doesn't constantly happen at all, infact here are a list of cases where quite the opposite happened;

Forgive me, CRB86, but I don't often hear about people who DON'T get arrested for things; generally, the only things that make the news around here are the people who are arrested, and I understand that this view may be biased. However, I believe that any arrest, for any form of self-defense, within reason, is oppressive.

And the self-defense arrests I have heard about have been for gun ownership, and if it is so difficult for a Brit to own a gun (as axehappy has been describing) then I don't blame them for owning one somewhat illegally.

But is it true that you actually have to give a reason for gun ownership? I used to be a competitive shooter; if I gave that as my reason, gun club aside, would I be allowed to own a gun? On what legal basis may they refuse any citizen a gun, even in a built-up suburb?

And what makes you think that someone in a housing estate doesn't need a gun? I don't want to make a huge fight out of this; just your opinion, and a reasonable debate.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
U see this is just what the government wants they want us to instead of defending ourselves and others to rely on them and the police to come to the aid of our well being just with anything else if we go broke they want us to beg them for money. If we get hurt/sick they want us to go to their health care facilities, if someone is attacking us or stealing our property we have to call the police. This is where our rights as human beings are being taken away from us wake up and smell the roses. If your broke do something about it dont go to welfare offices. If your hurt or sick dont submit yourself to the fake healthcare system. there are plenty of natural ways to heal yourself. And by God if Someone is Attacking you or Stealing you or violating you in any way, It is your natural human right to defend yourself. When the right to defend ourselves is taken away all hell will break loose. The thugs and theifs will all know that we cant leagally defend ourselves so they will just do what ever they feel like doing, say abducting your young daughter, or walking into your house and taking the keys to that new mercedes you just spent 10 years saving up for, or maby one might get up the nerve to smash your head in with a bat, or even just walking in and blowing your brains out because you accidently stepped on their shoes earlier that day. Hmmm what a world that will be. Just think about it

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join