It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Worry Machines May Outsmart Man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Scientists Worry Machines May Outsmart Man

www.nytimes.com

A robot that can open doors and find electrical outlets to recharge itself. Computer viruses that no one can stop. Predator drones, which, though still controlled remotely by humans, come close to a machine that can kill autonomously.

Impressed and alarmed by advances in artificial intelligence, a group of computer scientists is debating whether there should be limits on research that might lead to loss of human control over computer-based systems that carry a growing share of society’s workl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This sounds like iRobot. The first law would be a computer can do no harm to a human, but I don't see how you can control this if machines will be more intelligent and more autonomous.

It's like Kurzweil and others say, once we reach a technological singularity there will not be much that humans can do to stop it.

This is some more of the article.

Their concern is that further advances could create profound social disruptions and even have dangerous consequences.

As examples, the scientists pointed to a number of technologies as diverse as experimental medical systems that interact with patients to simulate empathy, and computer worms and viruses that defy extermination and could thus be said to have reached a “cockroach” stage of machine intelligence.

While the computer scientists agreed that we are a long way from Hal, the computer that took over the spaceship in “2001: A Space Odyssey,” they said there was legitimate concern that technological progress would transform the work force by destroying a widening range of jobs, as well as force humans to learn to live with machines that increasingly copy human behaviors.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Humans are very limited. We need sleep, we are messy, we die easy, our judgement can be clouded by emotions and a whole range of other issues. I for one salute our robot overlords.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Your 15 minutes late. Topic is being discussed over here already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Great discussion though, as it is something Im quite interested in personally.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jacob08
Humans are very limited. We need sleep, we are messy, we die easy, our judgement can be clouded by emotions and a whole range of other issues. I for one salute our robot overlords.

And I think we're just fine
And humans are the only ones that can truly live. Robots and AI are just toys.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
lol I used to always talk about this with friends when we were teenagers. Like just wait til the day comes when computers and robots control everything (they basically do already, we rely on tech WAY to much, imo). Cool article. Thanks for posting.

Peace.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Your 15 minutes late. Topic is being discussed over here already.

A story is allowed in Breaking Alternative News and also allowed in the proper forum. The other story is in Science and Tech. This one is on Alternative News.

All is kewl here.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I guess a machine can't truely be smarter that man.. It's only as smart as the person who invented it, a result of man's intelligence. A machine might know something, but does it know it knows something? No, becasue there is no consciousness driving it. Because of this, I think that humans are always smarter. Also, humans have deeper abilities, not only to know things, but to understand what they know, seeing the true meaning... A robot sees no meaning.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I saw an article pertaining to advancements in robotics, mainly in the region of Japan. They are creating human-like robots, starting with teachers. They have also created many helpful technologies that may help the elderly or the people with conditions that limit them severely (i.e. mind controlled wheelchair and robotic hips).

I for one do not believe that robots will take over any time soon, but I wont rule out the possibility of them getting out of our control. They are smarter than we are already when it comes to technical things, and we are teaching them how to feel and react. Basically we are creating cybernetic-humans that are harder to kill.

What's next? Skynet?

Here is the article about the teacher robot: www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Bushido Kanji]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crying-Lightning
I guess a machine can't truely be smarter that man.. It's only as smart as the person who invented it, a result of man's intelligence. A machine might know something, but does it know it knows something? No, becasue there is no consciousness driving it. Because of this, I think that humans are always smarter. Also, humans have deeper abilities, not only to know things, but to understand what they know, seeing the true meaning... A robot sees no meaning.

That's why I Robot and skynet are so scary, because the machines THINK they are smarter than man, and maybe they CAN perform more calculations per second, but they don't have the wisdom that man has.

I Robot and Skynet from the Terminator movies are just sci fi now, but as artificial intelligence progresses it would be wise to consider those or similar scenarios as possible. My guess is that within less than 100 years, AI could be a threat to man if we aren't careful, we should heed this warning.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Good points and this will be the main problem.

This is because computers operate on logic and humans can defy logic. We will do things that seem illogical but there just human.

For instance, a computer might say it's logical to kill all criminals in order to save resources and money but that's not human. This will eventually be a problem and I don't see how you can control this once computers reach intelligence. Especially if a super intelligent computer gains control of our lives by controlling technology.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Matrix Rising]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Science Fiction enthusiasts are worried, scientists should be excited on many fronts. Even if robots ever decide to drive us to extinction, it sounds like a more ideal doomsday scenario than, say an asteroid dooms all life on the planet. We will have given birth to a more advanced species and the legacy of mankind will at least have given something to the universe.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I think one of the ways humans can protect themselves is to create a race of Cyborgs.

These Cyborgs would be partly human and then they could protect and preserve humanity in case super intelligence gets out of control.

The only problem with that is if super intelligence gets control of these Cyborgs they could kill off humanity.

They could end up like the Borg from Star Trek.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I find that a little scary. We shouldnt be making ANYTHING that can outsmart us, and to be frank, it wouldnt be that hard. Robots have the advantage because they dont have feelings. And our feelings are what stops us from making bad choices and etc.

So yeah I dont think this is such a good choice.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This won't end well.

Could a robot or computerized thingy ever be as cool, as say, Johnny Deep?

I want no part of it...I'll take humans for the win. Thank you very much.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jacob08

I strongly disagree with you.

Every single lifeform on Earth can be described as you put it - must sleep, is messy, dies easy, and their judgement (or at least behaviour) can be clouded by emotions and a whole range of other issues.

Yet I still fail to see how this planet would be better without this messy, sleepy, mortal and emotional plethora of life.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
If you're talking about folks who voted for Obama, then yes, machines will be much more intelligent.

In fact, my washing machine is more intelligent than Obama voters.

Kinda scary, huh?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

That's why I Robot and skynet are so scary, because the machines THINK they are smarter than man, and maybe they CAN perform more calculations per second, but they don't have the wisdom that man has.

I Robot and Skynet from the Terminator movies are just sci fi now, but as artificial intelligence progresses it would be wise to consider those or similar scenarios as possible. My guess is that within less than 100 years, AI could be a threat to man if we aren't careful, we should heed this warning.

Wisdom? That's funny... have you turned on a television lately

Human beings have never been much known for our wisdom, at least not most of us and certainly not those who are in power these days... Human history has mainly been the art of control, deception, entertainment and killing each other, our minor wisdom and philosophical-emotional pursuits are hardly worth mentioning.

As for robots taking over, I say they already rule us, just look what happens to the average teen if you take their cell phone or computer privileges away and look at the statistics of how long we spend in front of the TV on average. The only difference right now the people in charge still control of the machines that have control of us all - bring on the Matrix!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Wisdom? That's funny... have you turned on a television lately

Human beings have never been much known for our wisdom, at least not most of us and certainly not those who are in power these days... Human history has mainly been the art of control, deception, entertainment and killing each other, our minor wisdom and philosophical-emotional pursuits are hardly worth mentioning.

As for robots taking over, I say they already rule us, just look what happens to the average teen if you take their cell phone or computer privileges away and look at the statistics of how long we spend in front of the TV on average. The only difference right now the people in charge still control of the machines that have control of us all - bring on the Matrix!

haha great post! I agree completely! Thats what I was trying to say in my post, you explained it much better. Just take away peoples cell phones and computers and watch them FLIP OUT (I admit I'm one of these people, so I'm not pointing fingers here) We don't know what to do without that stuff, we rely on it WAY to much.

Peace

[edit on 26-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The only way this could ever happen is if humanity was stupid enough to allow it, keep the AI's learning ability grossly low and make sure all the important safeguards in its program are completely separate from its learning areas. Sure let it learn just dont let its rewrite itself on a whim or go beyond its purpose.

Then again stupidity and humanity are best friends and some idiot scientist with to much time on his hands will endow his toaster with god like intelligence eventually.

Thing I want to know is why even attempt to make an autonomous predator Drone?... You cant get better than the human brain, since its attached to a heart (a metaphorical heart... in most people) id rather have a bone filled cavity of grey goop doing every thing than some damn machine. Its all about practicallity, and its just not practical in my mind and it never will.

Lets just make sure we have cap J.T Kirk on speed dial... hes got an amazing track record when it comes to dealing with Tyrannical Computer AI

top topics

join