It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3,000 Low Temp Records Set This July!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
I think we need to come up with a government program encouraging more carbon use so we can stop this extreme Global Cooling or we could end up in an iceage.

Be careful what you wish for

A long time ago in a land at the bottom of the world, there was a lake... a big deep lake like the Great Lakes. This lake is fresh water and still warm from geothermal vents despite the fact it is buried now under miles of ice...

The last time this lake saw the light of day was 420,000 years ago...

Well this lake lies beneath the Russian Antarctic station Vostok, hence its name Lake Vostok.

Now scientists, being the smart wonders that they are, thought it would be cool to drill down and check it out. As they got close... they spotted microbes in the ice... never been seen before... so someone with a brain called a stop... saying it was probably not a good idea to release unknown microbes on an unsuspecting planet..

Ya think?

Anyway never mind the possible extinction of the human race by a 400,000 year old bug for now... the drilling gave us something useful...

ICE CORE SAMPLES. Like tree rings these core samples do not lie. Unlike tree rings they are more accurate and show warm years and cold years reliably...

So here is what 415,000 years of ice core samples are saying...

It is normally very hot in Vegas in July Temps of 120 some days. This year we have had cloud cover almost everyday and its been the coolest spring and summer since I moved here 12 years ago.

I already installed a wood stove and have two years firewood and some coal, emergency blankets and my Canadian Parkas...

OH and according to NASA the sun is in a solar minimum, lowest since we started the space program

Forget 'Global Warming' Don't forget that trees and plants and Algae thrive on CO2 and give off oxygen...

I recommend getting ready for a long cold spell

Edit to add

OH One more important thing.... look at the chart and you will notice that when the pendulum swings, the change happens very fast... in but a few short years

[edit on 26-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

So then, by definition, it is not 'global warming'. It is 'climate change'. But, that sounds too natural, doesn't it. Here is an excerpt from a book I never got around to writing.

"Ah, Global Warming, the new religion of the 21st century. Okay, okay. Don’t quit on me now. You’ve stuck with me this far. Give me a chance to explain.

Remembering my opinion of organized religion is man’s attempt to control others; global warming fits, perfectly, in that category.

A few developed the theory of global warming and immediately began blaming man for its existence. Those few convinced others, who were easily susceptible to the powers of suggestion, but had no scientific knowledge, ie. Al Gore, Robert Redford. These followers, without delay, went about the task of spreading the word to all who would listen.

Once a sufficient number of sheep, excuse me, believers are recruited, they begin attacking the non-believers. Deny the existence of global warming? How dare you, you infidels! In addition to attacks, they utilize fear to convince others to join them. When fear isn’t enough, shame becomes the weapon.

All the while, the hypocrisy, of the most vocal proponents, overshadows their message.

Is “global warming” a reality? My unscientific opinion is…possibly. Is man responsible? Doubtful. I recall being educated, as a child, on the numerous climate changes our Earth has undergone. I was never told man had played a part in those. I don’t believe we have the ability to cause climate change, anymore than we have the power to prevent it. Do I believe we could make our environment a healthier place for its inhabitants? Sure. But, the changes we make shouldn’t allow a select few to become filthy rich. This is what I believe is behind the advancement of the global warming theory. Wealth and power. Control the masses, control the wealth.

At first, the big oil companies denied their product’s alleged contribution to environmental damage. Now (and this really pisses me off) they want to lead the way in finding “alternative fuels”. Why? It’s where the money is. And we, through our elected officials, are stupid enough to allow this to happen. We’ve all heard the stories of the super-duper high fuel efficiency carburetors and internal combustion engines and how the oil companies prevented the automakers from utilizing them. And now we are going to trust them to develop alternatives to their own cash cow? Give me a break."

[edit on 26-7-2009 by WTFover]

[edit on 26-7-2009 by WTFover]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Dam as though I wasn't confused enough. Smoking down here on the gulf coast, at least in my opinion. I know we have very high humity but our temps (at least starting around may) have been impressive. Several individuals I know (to include myself) have had larger aircondition units installed and they don't come cheap. Would not mind some of those 40 and 50 temps moving south and give you northern folks a break. Would be glad to send you a few days of a hundred plus in exchange. You would probably be looking for my hide after a few days of "smoking" your bacon.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

I really don't think that you're the only one that's confused. All of human knowledge put together about the climate wouldn't fill a bathtub if the knowledge were water. We still have a long way to go before we can truly say what the climate is doing and why it is doing it. We can't even predict the weather with complete accuracy. On my computer, I have a weather widget thing so that I can have a vague idea of the weather. It is hardly ever right and I get the forecast for it from Germany's main weather website.

The media hypes global warming [or climate change, whatever it's called today] because it's the trendy thing. Al Gore, GE, and others ignore contradictory evidence to their claims [such as the growing ice and the cyclical nature of climate]. These same people hawk global climate change because they get wheelbarrows full of money [that they need their SUVs to move around].

There is a good climate blog that I read from time to time. It's run by an ex-meteorologist from southern California. It even won the best science blog award from 2008. The guy knows his stuff. One of my favorite things that he does is show you where all the doo-hickies are that record the regional temperatures in the US that tell us that the world is warming. They tend to be in the funniest places, like yet next to air conditioners.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by tallcool1
reply to post by mikerussellus

The anthropomorphic global warming crowd will argue that the thermohaline circulation warming and melting the Arctic only (ignoring the growing ice in most other areas)

Could you point me to information on this... I'm very interested to find out where ice is growing.

Well, with just a couple of seconds in Google:

dsc.discovery.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

Just a few. And this did start as a cooling/warming thread, not a pollution thread. I do agree with lowering emissions for health reasons - not the man made climate change fiction and not for anyones profit.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon, Awesome post showing how the process of global warming actually leads to rapid change in temperatures leading to global cooling! I'm going to add that to my other thread.

Call it what you will folks, claim the cause of it to be whatever you think it is, but two things remain factual.

Global warming occurs... and right after comes rapid cooling....

So, argue amongst yourselves as to what is the cause or if it's even happening.

What we should all be doing is looking at the past trends like Zorgon has posted and begin to try to figure out how that's going to change our landscape, politically, economically, and meteorologically.

Climate change is UPON is... and just because it's natural doesn't make it any less gruesome...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Excellent contribution, z.

Can I use this post in one of the "creation science" threads? You know the ones, that say the Earth is only 6,000 years old??

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Claim anything that you want, but right after the Sun's activity went to the lowest it has been in almost a century, we started having more extreme Cold weather events.

The Sun is what gives light, and heat, as well as other forms of radiation which are essential to life.

As far as we know the Sun constitutes 98.99% of all matter in the Solar System. I'll repeat...98.99% of all matter in the Solar System.... Any changes in the Sun, nomatter how small influences the weather and Climate on Earth.

There are many other factors that affect the weather, and Climate, but you can't debunk the fact that for the past three years, we have seen an increase in extreme cold events throughout the world, and this started happening at the same time that the Sun's activity went to the lowest in almost a century.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I wonder if the weather changes have anything to do with Chem Trails. They are a daily sight here in Massachusetts. The planes just go back and forth leaving trails, filling up the sky, and eventually these trails turn to thin clouds.
The weathermen have joked about 2009 as the summer that wasn't.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

And yes, I agree that we should lower pollutants put into the air, but I don't believe pollutants have anything to do with "climate change".

This sort of phrase is the biggest problem with any climate change discussion. Too many people with "beliefs" and not enough "science".

It doesn't matter what you believe. What matters is what science can show and prove.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HeluvaStorm

The planes just go back and forth leaving trails, filling up the sky, and eventually these trails turn to thin clouds.

You're describing normal contrails, that will morph into what resemble normal cirrus clouds. The airplanes aren't going "back and forth", you're seeing different airplanes on different headings, on different flights to different destinations.

You're in MA? Did you know that the majority of the North Atlantic traffic to/from Europe passes overhead in your area? ALSO, quite a bit of North/South traffic to/from Canada to destinations in the USA.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Here is latest jet stream for NA. Polar air all the way to the gulf of Mexico. Everything west is shaking n' baking. Everything east is cool or wet, especially at lower elevations and coastal plains.

Combine global warming and solar dimming what do you get? Frost in the night, way more skeeters, way less corn. Panic now, avoid the rush. LOL

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inannamute

And yes, I agree that we should lower pollutants put into the air, but I don't believe pollutants have anything to do with "climate change".

This sort of phrase is the biggest problem with any climate change discussion. Too many people with "beliefs" and not enough "science".

It doesn't matter what you believe. What matters is what science can show and prove.

Have you not read this thread? Just popped in for an emotional sheep post? There is plenty of evidence to point out that global warming and cooling has been going on for thousands of years with no influence from mankind. Science has proven this. The only "science" that says otherwise is just doing it for a paycheck. Mankind has no influence over the global climate. Sorry to ruin your religion.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

reply to post by mikerussellus

The anthropomorphic global warming crowd will argue that the thermohaline circulation warming and melting the Arctic only (ignoring the growing ice in most other areas)

Could you point me to information on this... I'm very interested to find out where ice is growing.

Well, with just a couple of seconds in Google:

dsc.discovery.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

Just a few. And this did start as a cooling/warming thread, not a pollution thread. I do agree with lowering emissions for health reasons - not the man made climate change fiction and not for anyones profit.

Is there any indication as to the size of the growing glaciers vs the amount lost by the dying ones?

The fact that some are growing, only further supports my theory that some areas are getting much colder due to the effect global warming has had on the thermohaline circulation.

The question is, what is the ratio.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Can I use this post in one of the "creation science" threads? You know the ones, that say the Earth is only 6,000 years old??

Certainly The ice does not lie...

I just noticed I have made several posts on this yet never corelated the data on my site... and there is so much new data I will do that right now..

But THIS Site shows the drilling cores etc Awesome site I did not have before

The Epica glaciology project
www.gdargaud.net...

Also just google 'Vostok ice samples' There is now a ton of data, including the info on those microbes they found

Seems info is coming so quick its impossible to keep up on all fronts without sexataries

[edit on 26-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Hunka - I am not trying to debate with you about the earth warming or cooling. I believe that the evidence points to that fact that we are at the end of a natural warming cycle and are at the beginning of a natural cooling cycle. The earth warms and it cools and the currents of the oceans likely affect it.

The argument I have is that people point to this very natural cycle as a case for man made climate change when there is no such evidence. I believe a few posts back you dropped the whole man made argument and just stuck to the change of the global climate. I do agree with what you are saying completely, up to the point that you say or imply that mankind has anything to do with it.

If you want to start a thread about pollution and it's detrimental effects on humans, I'll star and flag and high five you - unless you imply or state that it is affecting the weather.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

You did see my Vostok Ice Core chart above, yes?

Also this...

"Global Warming" is measured by government sensors that are in key locations around the world. They are mostly automatic and rarely cared for...

Here is one...

Caption
This picture, taken by www.surfacestations.org volunteer Don Kostuch is the Detroit Lakes, MN USHCN climate station of record. The Stevenson Screen is sinking into the swamp and the MMTS sensor is kept at a comfortable temperature thanks to the nearby A/C units.

How not to measure temperature
www.norcalblogs.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes I did - great info there. I gave you a star for that. I do remember reading a while back about the sensors and their placement too. Thanks for refreshing my memory on that. We seem to be on the same page here.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
this is a good thread & i think when it comes to global warming vs global cooling
this thread seems to clearly show climate change = strange & extreme weather patterns that are not normal.
it may be cooler in some parts of usa at present, but look at the global weather
parts of europe are cooking spain has a lot of bush fires right now
other parts have seen flash floods.
the seasons seem to be about a month late.
so just because its cooler in one country saying co2 has nothing to do with it is short sighted,
i think global weather patterns will continue getting more extreme over the coming years, so in some places its going to look like global warming & in other places its going to look like global cooling
but for now the global warmers & the global coolers will keep trying to prove the other wrong...............untill they are both wiped out by extreme weather

ps* since the weather is acting a bit wierd, do you think this seasons harricanes will be:
more hurricanes than usual ?
bigger hurricanes ?
smaller hurricanes ?
less hurricanes ?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

THAT is one hilarious photo, thanks!

(Made me spit up my Ensure.....)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join