It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motivation: What Drives You?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
First of all, I like to read. It doesn't matter whether I agree with what is being said because good writing is in itself a reward for the time you spend with it.

SNIP....

Third, I guess I am looking to learn something new. Every time a piece pops about 2012 or anomalies on the moon or lost civilizations or disclosure or 9.11 or... or... (You get the picture) I have to check it all out. I figure that someday, somehow... some portion of what is speculated here will, in fact, turn out to be fact.

I totally resonated with what you said here and I couldn't have put it better myself. I love to read and learn, regardless of whether I agree or not. I love to learn other people's opinions to see how they differ from mine and whether they might actually have a better opinion than me. Even when my gut reaction is that someone has posted something totally absurd, I do then think about what they wrote and maybe sometimes I'm even swayed more to understanding their point of view.

I didn't like learning in school and found it extremely boring. I hated that when I questioned something, in a text book, the teacher wouldn't even consider my point of view because the text book was fact. I like to think of everything as someone's opinion and nothing as fact - it may be 'fact' today but tomorrow a new discovery could be made that completely changes that 'fact'. No internet back then but I spend hours and hours devouring books from the library. No subject in particular, I liked reading about anything that made me curious.

My main motivation for living in different countries is so I can directly see, hear, feel, experience, the things and places that I've read about. I know 'it' from reading about 'it' but I want to experience it before I believe I really know 'it'.

Away from this forum my motivation, for everything I do, is my children which may sound corny and cliche but it's so true. I want to be happy and get out of my comfort zone to show them that they can and I want them to truly experience this wonderful life and to believe they can do anything and be anything they want to be. I don't want them to know limitations and I try so hard to make sure they get to use their freewill to make their own choices but to also know about consequences and responsibility. It's a bit like an ongoing experiment, in a way, because of course I will get to see how each child turns out and what they do with their lives. To see them happy and to hear things they say, makes me happy and keeps me motivated.

There's many a time that nothing else in my life would get me out of bed but my children were the reason I overcame and dragged myself out and made an effort each day. I took anti-depression medication for a short time in my life and in those days it was very hard to even bother to wake up.

I also had a stillborn baby and I'd hate for her death to have been in vain and I do feel like I'm honoring her life, in some way, by being the best mum I can be to my other children. So corny or cliche, my children really are my reason for living.

Ooohhh - I should add that they don't know that and won't ever know that because I wouldn't want to put that responsibility on their shoulders.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
What motivates me is the desire to be free.

Free from anger, greed, want, desire, etc...

That's all I want..so simple and yet so hard.

But can you imagine?? Being free??

someday......

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Here's some more on Behavior and Motivation:

There is a significant relationship between behavior and motivation, particularly between groups and individuals. Motivation of a group have a serious impact on individual behavior. Likewise, the motivation of an individual can have a serious impact on a group. Typically, a group's behavior or a individual's behavior is not self-motivation, but rather the effects of some type of group behavior.
Organizational Behavior and Motivation

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I am motivated by laughter.

after all:

Me am I,
And I am Me,
But laughter,
Laughter sets us free

To be

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZenOnKwalsky

No matter are you "gay rights activist" or on the other side of that spectrum biblical Christian the deepest and the most universal, elementary motivation it must be that: LOVE
Seems to be good theory??

Absolutely Zen. I completely agree. Love has to be one of the most fundamental of human needs. It gets lost sometimes along the way, tangled, distorted- somehow, and people forget it's true importance, or somehow become too frightened to wish to continue to experience it. But I think it is IN us to do. To love, to be loved.

Someone posted earlier about the Dali Lama remarking that as long as our motivation is sincere and based on love we cannot possibly go wrong.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by EdCase512

On Laughter: Oh, EdCase, I am so with you on this. I love to laugh more than anything. And I do at times actively seek it out. Some of the lively, laughing conversations I have with my friends by phone, even, are sometimes the best part of my day.

Thanks again and again for including this. It's important!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I can say in all honesty what drives me. It is a contradiction by linguistic terms but one that makes perfect sense within my own mind.

I am driven not by sex. not by money. not by acquisition of material objects. I am not even driven by the want for enlightenment.

I am driven by hate and anger. The drive to use these two negative emotions for positive outcome. Perhaps it seems impossible, but mind you, NOTHING is impossible. I myself am not the angry person nor am I the hateful person. I am fueled by the anger and hate of others. Driven by it. It encourages me to continue the process of helping others realize that it is not necessary nor is it healthy. The angrier a person is, the more I am inclined to get close to that person and determine why it is they are so angry.

Yep

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Can't help but wonder what makes you so curious as to the source of others' anger.

Having worked in human services my entire adult life, I have seen others who preferred the same type populations to work with. The angrier the better, the wilder and more troubled and unruly the teenager, the more interested some become. If they are delinquents, and have angry outbursts, all the more the therapists want to dig to determine causation.

As I have said many times before, it's a good thing we are all different, and have different interests and motivations. If we all had adverse feelings towards that population, they would essentially be avoided and consequently lost.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

because I was an angry child. And I have come to learn that anger inhibits some pretty important functions within the brain. Namely because someone who is just an angry person, usually has some sort of repressed memories or feelings that are being blocked and in turn, inhibiting or limiting some higher cognitive function. It is just upsetting to see someone be so angry and never be able to move past it and not know why.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Anger, in my opinion, is the most difficult emotion to control. Once all that adrenaline/epinephrine and the other fight or flight hormones are released, it's hard to put those back. They essentially must wear off. It's exhausting. I think that's one of the reason's I don't like to get very angry. It's too tiring. lol.

But it is a very powerful force within us. I don't want to get too personal here, but I hope your anger issues have been resolved, and you have found a way to lead others out of it. It's the most uncomfortable feeling. Unattended, it can lead to many medical problems as well. It can literally make you physically sick. It wears down your immune system.

Trying to live in the moment...or living fully consciously, rather than just reacting to emotions passing by is a wonderful and healthy way to live.

there is a fantastic thread on ATS about it, I think authored by BringTheLight. If you get a chance, you might want to take a look. There are some useful applications for everyone in there. I think he's writing a book about it. But one of the many ways it is useful, is that you don't let negative emotions hang around very long. xoxo liw

Footnote:****Grief runs a close second to anger in the difficult department, I have learned.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
My motivation for the threads I create, is primarily intelligent conversation. I find that some people attempt to hide their feelings about a certain subject which seems to impede on their ability to converse in these forums openly and intelligently.

I see others who simply don't know what tact is make off the wall comments and ludicrous claims simply to get a rise out of people. I do the opposite. I will write a meaningfull, well written OP, that might make points that are a little "sensitive" but otherwise ok.

This is my opinion as well. There is noting more above top secret than a persons inner most feelings which many can't find a way to voice or don't for fear of ridicule. See my thread called "Dump your guts in ten lines or less" which was moved to BTS this morning because it wasnt worthy of ATS.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Oh I believe my anger issues as a child have been resolved. I went through so many years of depression that only recently began to lighten up. I spent countless hours reading on psychology. philosophy and spirituality from sources all over the whole net and have come to realize where the problem was. It is my intention to help others as often as possible, to overcome that anger because like you said "it's too tiring".

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think that motivation is all very powerful, for instance the ability to use anger as stated above could be useful in a life or death situation, but not useful in a reasonable married couple argument. I suppose growing to a great motivational standard would not only help you in the long run, but help those around you, because they will grow on you and your motivation will wear off on them.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I continue to be perplexed at the number of people who claim motivations of only the highest aspirations. That's interesting.
(Maybe human beings aren't as sinister as I thought). lol

Also, I looked at my posts this morning and the number is 666. I wanted to get rid of that creepy number before I leave for work, so decided to do it quickly, and here).

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The question is ... what is the motivation for coming on ATS and responding to certain threads?

My answer ... For coming on ATS .. motivation is distraction from ruminations. How I pick my threads ... they interest me or I see something so silly that i just can't help but say so.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I think we all feel that way at times. We all like to make our points and have it be confirmed or denied, but in a respectul manner. Some people just won't back down. So, then, again out of curiousity and in keeping with the thread, what motivates you towards aggression, and refusing to back down? Seriously. Is that...pride? Or what?

(I don't like backing down either, but I will if things get, as you say, too diluted or just plain mean). I think my "integrity" kicks in. lol.
Not loving ourselves enough, or feeling unworthy is something many of us drag from our childhood into our adulthood. It is an underlying need to prove ourselves to the external world as a compensation for the former lack. I joined this site firstly because of the wide spectrum of truths it offers on an issue, and that it is a great place to reach out to a vast number of like minded souls, and possibly even change the minds of some. That in itself is a reward, without having to win an argument, trophy, star. But some however enjoy these trinkets to boost their egos. It is fun though, battling at times. It's all a game.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join