It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outcry over disowned Rape Girl

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Outcry over disowned Rape Girl

BBC NEWS

Offers for help are pouring in for an eight-year-old Liberian girl disowned by her own family in Phoenix, Arizona, after being raped by four boys.

The girl is under the care of the Arizona Child Protective Service (CPS) because her parents said she had shamed them, and they did not want her back.

The case has sparked outrage across the US and even drawn condemnation from Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, an outspoken anti-rape campaigner.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This is completely shocking to say the least. Not only has this girl gone through such a traumatic event, now her Parents have dosowned her.

I would be asking the parent why they have disowned her. Or I would have charged them with abandonment of a minor.

Those boys are despicable for doing this inthe first place. I just hope that this girl, gets the help that she needs to overcome what she has went throug.

Completely disgusting.

BBC NEWS
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
They're even worse than the fing rapists!

How sad. I hope she can find happiness in her life after all this somehow.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I read about this yesterday. Unfortunately it is a cultural/religious issue. In their culture, if a girly, child, woman is raped, it can be used against them - as shaming the family.

Here is another article

The parents also apparently said their daughter had brought shame on the family.

The father also said the family moved to the United States five years ago from West Africa and they don't understand the United States' criminal system.

When asked what he wants to happen to the suspects involved in the assault against his daughter, he answered, "nothing."

Femi Babarinde, an African Studies professor from the Thunderbird School of Global Management, said it is normal to feel shame because of a rape in the family in the Liberian culture.

"When you look at the shame culture in African societies it basically means something negative happened and it affects not only that individual [the victim] but the family and extended family," said Babarinde. "They may be reacting to the attention that this will get and the knowledge of this within the community that could be a source of embarrassment."

[edit on July 25th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The story was featured on HLN the other day. In a news clip the mother was crying, and said that all she wanted was her daughter back home. A psychologist interviewed on the show stressed that the family had immigrated to the US after suffering through the brutal civil war in Liberia and that we should focus on the fact that our society has come so far regarding the treatment of women and children instead of faulting the family for their initial reaction.

Very sad all the way around.
I hope a solution can be found that involves family counseling and help for the little girl.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by elfie]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This might be a blessing in disguise. Knowing her parents felt that way its probably a good thing she got out of there and might be raised by people that have compassion and caring.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I say we all hook up
drive down to the parents homes and teach them a lesson ATS style!

I'm pretty sure this family comes from a village area in their parent country, which such beliefs might be common.

However I would disagree that the parents are worse than the rapists.

There's nothign worse than rapists, not even Hitler.
Rapists need to be exterminated!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I'm with whatukno and modernacademia on this one.
I don't care what ignorant culture they came from.
They live here now.
The laws here say you don't abandon 8 year old girls.

Poor kid. She'll be better off in the long run without those idiots.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

This is completely shocking to say the least. Not only has this girl gone through such a traumatic event, now her Parents have dosowned her.

It is called the preaching of islam [Save the families reputation].This thing is normal in africa and middle east...Even if the girl didn't do anything they will still think it was her fault that she got rapped...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
If the parents are so worried about "honor" then they should blame themselves first. Who was responsible for her? Who should have educated her on these kinds of dangers? Who was watching her? Why weren't these boys a little more respectful of someone's child? Why weren't they afraid of the consequences? Oh, that's right, they have no consequences to be concerned with in their African culture. They just understand it is the girl who's life is ruined because of their behaviour.

All I know if my eight year old daughter was raped by anyone, they would have plenty to fear. I can't promise that I would be able to control myself. Hurt one of mine and you better grow eyes in the back of your head cause I would eventually get you.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Im sorry, weither they believe in God or the Devil, it should not matter, that child has been scarred for life. I just hope her parents can live with themselfs, knowing the fact that thier child will never be the same again, after what those boys done to her.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I agree with hardamber, i would find the b******(s) and litterally rip them apart with my bare hands.
This is just sickening thea they would abandon the kid, my heart goes out the the poor girl.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Prepare for life under Islam if you are not a follower by
knowing what it will be like to be in Dhimmitude.

Women will not enjoy the equal rights they have now.

Maybe the panzies here in the USA will do something about
the rise in Islam here before it gets out of control, but I doubt it.

Islam is at war with Europe now without even firing a shot.

Eurabia

The Sharia courts are passing rulings without any intervention
by the UK government, thus a government within another.

Sharia law in the UK

The war is over, your best bet is to get the hell out of there before
it gets really ugly.

I do not see the weak wristed neo liberals having any will to fight
for what little is left of their former country.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'm with whatukno and modernacademia on this one.
I don't care what ignorant culture they came from.
They live here now.
The laws here say you don't abandon 8 year old girls.

Poor kid. She'll be better off in the long run without those idiots.

Well as I said in my prior post, there are two sets of courts in the UK now.

She is lucky to be in the US in that regard.

Under Sharia Law treating women as trash to be disposed off
is perfectly legal and expected.

They welcomed this garbage brainwashed insane religion onto
their island for cheap scab labor and now they are soon to pay
the ultimate price for it as will the USA.

The neo libs will whine and cry how Islam is a religion of peace,
right up until they end up like Mr. Van Gogh gutted in the street
like a pig led to the slaughter.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

I have to disagree with you, I this happened inthe UK, people would be angry over this. I have seen Sex offendors being ran out of towns, cities etc, eventhose who have been falsley accused.

Shiara Law does not affect everyone inthe UK. Scotland has a different set of laws compared to England. An it is up to the Scottish Government weither or not they implement any legislation which is put forward by the Westminster Governement.

Push the British public to far and we will bite back. Has happend before and will happen again if it continues.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It has been a long night for me (yup - no sleep) so apologies in advance to any members of these kinds of cultures and communities. It is not meant as a disrespectful commentary of their culture; only a "westerner's" ruminations about this poor child, and all others with this "shame" business - which I don't profess to understand as they would.

I was thinking of what could possibly 'change' the roots of this cultural 'perspective' and restore the ability of community members to rely on their families as many like me would 'understand.'

To minimize the chance of misunderstanding, I wanted to relate this as a short story, thus allowing those so inclined to explore the notion, while those who are antithetical to any such considerations to dismiss it without feeling threatened into flaming me into the dirt. I couldn't muster the strength...

Enough prevarication:

What would be the reality of someone shaming the family, if the community's actions remedied the effect, I wondered?

What would happen if when my daughter got raped by those three boys, instead of rejecting her, I embraced and healed her, as best I could, of the trauma and violence of the event?

Will my neighbors shunned my daughter socially, rendering her incapable of marriage, or meaningful social existence, destined to have no children and bring no security into the family, or be a provider of new souls into the community?

Will my other daughters, or future daughters be recognized for the event that had occurred to their sister? Would her brother be endlessly challenged over the nature of his 'ruined' sister?

Will my peers see me with 'pity' and as 'lesser' because of my inability to provide 'clean' youths into the community?

I challenge the idea that their friends and immediate family adopt the child in defiance, raise her in love and strength, as an 'adopted' family member; an 'adopted' member who's past is erased by the disconnect from her original family.

I challenge the parent to prove that their child is so strong, resilient, and worthy of love, that she will become an extraordinary person, capable of spreading the love and compassion that creates not just a valuable community member, but a well-spring of positive strength.

I challenge the host culture to foster this. Find a way to encourage the dissolution of the community to engage in the kind of social prejudice that has been irrationally superimposed upon an otherwise innocent child.

But most importantly I challenge everyone to realize, no crime is more deserving of thoughtful punishment than those against children, for the damage is inevitably enduring. Adding the contrivance of 'shame' upon it, is like heaping salt on an open wound. Cruelty, without purpose is 'shameful'. Why perpetuate 'shame'? Better to place it where it belongs, on the actual executor of the crime, not the hapless victim.

Sorry - a esteemed member once warned me that it was usually unwise to post when you haven't slept for a long while.... where ever you are... you were probably right. I don't know what to say, the topic of children to come to harm resonates within me too deeply to let this pass without comment.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Sgt Hill said people from eight or nine US states had called wanting to adopt the girl or donate money.

Yes. At least she is here, and in a civilized society, where the evil acts done to her are not held against her, and people want to help her, not have her killed over some retard, backwards superstition that by being a victim, she has somehow brought shame and disgrace.

Personally, I think her parents should be deported, as should the little slime bags that raped her. I don't give a crap what sort of sob story they were running from. Such attitudes do not belong anywhere in the world of humanity. The father's comment infuriated me, that he thinks nothing should be done to the rapists. WTF?

A herd of slimey, subhuman garbage rape a child who isn't anywhere near puberty, and he doesn't think any punishment should exist? Unfortunately, that is the mentality of many African, Asian, and Middle eastern Countries. They spend centuries in petty, archaic blood feuds over some stupid slight thousands of years ago, fighting and killing over abstract ideas and vengance for dead people they never knew, yet when someone harms the female product of their own loins, they can't concieve of turning that bloodlust against someone who actually did something horrific to someone who is alive, and closely related?

No. That sort of mentality needs to go, period. When they come to the west, they either drop that stupidity, or stay in the hell they seem to like preserving.

This goes beyond disgusting. I hope that kid finds a very nice, wealthy home with new parents who don't believe that it's possible for an 8 year old to bring shame to anything.
#

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The problem is within the savage country that these children come from. In Liberia rape was not illegal until 2006.

Tony Weedor -- co-founder of the CenterPoint International Foundation, which aids Liberians in the United States and provides aid for those still in Liberia -- agreed with Hill. He said rape was not against the law in Liberia until 2006.

"The family [believes they] have been shamed by her ... and they're more concerned about that than the crime," he said.

Sirleaf said the family should not be concerned about that.

"Let me say very clearly that rape is a problem in Liberia also. There is a strong law regarding that," she said.

www.cnn.com...
That attidude of Liberian men is that this is no big deal, this is passed down to the children.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

When I first joined this board I posted an account of the push for Sharia Courts in this country and the fact that it was happening in Europe already. I got flamed so bad that I just gave up on the thread! The ignorance of some that posted then astounded me. Well now it's come to light and I finally feel a bit better about trying to enlighten a few folks here about the planned implementation of Sharia law and the recognition of their customs over ours! This family moved here to be free from the corruption of their home country and then ignore and not bother to understand that its them that must change, not us! I truly hope this little lady finds some peace and contentment with a new family here and she is able to live the life she deserves!
Zindo

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Rape was not illegal until 2006???????? What the f--king hell kind of criminal justice system do they have? This is especially shocking considering that Liberia was founded by freed American slaves and maintained very close ties with the US over the years so logically one would think they would not be as ... backwards as they are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join