It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

obstacles in the way mars mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
With all the talk regarding the timing of a Mars mission some people still forget that we have many obstacles to over come before any such mission, whether internationally or nationally, takes place. I do believe however that if we had the ability to land a man on the moon 40 years ago we should have the ability to overcome afew of the obstacles in the way. I thought however it may be good to discuss some of these issues.

By far the largest obstacle is time. It takes approx 9 months for the fastest space shuttle to travel from Earth to Mars... and take into mind this is when Mars orbits its closest to Eartch and the sun. The longest time any individual has ever spent time out in space was Sergei Krikalev, who was commander of the international space station for nearly 750 days. So while it is possible for humans to withstand the time take into consideration the trip to Mars and back, including the time spent on Mars. In addition the issue of how those individuals are effected. Long periods of time space have negative effects on our bones who cease to work when they are not used for very long periods of time.

Heres a quick list I got from wikipedia. May not be the most accurate source but certainly a good list:

physical effects of exposure to high-energy cosmic rays and other ionizing radiation
physical effects of a prolonged low-gravity environment
physical effects of a prolonged low-light environment
psychological effects of isolation from Earth
psychological effects of lack of community due to lack of real-time connections with Earth
social effects of several humans living under crowded conditions for over one Earth year
inaccessibility of terrestrial medical facilities

en.wikipedia.org...

I think another major issue is the nay sayers. I understand that right now the economy is unfit, however in the near future even during economy booms there will always be the "money issue". An internationally joint mission will do good and bring down costs to each individual nation, however there will then be demands as to which nationals will be going on.

Mars has potential for possible colonization and a second planet couldnt hurt

This is a really interesting topic though. The former Apollo11 crew advocating a Mars mission, experience men, one of few who have ever ventured on another world other than our own, only further shows that there is potential... however these obstacles need to get out of the way.

Opinions from fellow ATSers?

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I've always been highly interested in astronomy since I was a kid. Have always loved everything about it...and the unknown.

That being stated....I don't know about a mars mission. I think space exploration is vital to the evolution of the human race...but I also think that times are extremely tough right now as well and no money should be wasted...but yet that's already happening now anyway.

The whole mission would be extrememly dangerous as well...we have tons of problems with just satellites...let alone manned missions...especially one as far reaching as this one....although I do believe this would be the pinnacle of the human race if we were to do it.

JFK had the right idea...and I truly believe he was the last "good" President...and he is largely responsible for many of the innovations and knowledge that space exploration has given us.

Many people will see this as a total waste...but I don't. We should always continue to reach higher ground and learning.....to extend the limits of man as far as possible.

It's unfortunate that we spend ridiculous amounts of money on unjust wars....flood banks with trillions of dollars...yet doing something to make "man's" mark on the universe is largely criticized.

I'm actually surprised you support this SG.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

We might already have a secret base established on Mars.

But when we go there publicly, we will go using something just like Mars Direct:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
I've always been highly interested in astronomy since I was a kid. Have always loved everything about it...and the unknown.

You should have seen the stacks of books I had back in the days... lost many of them but still remained interested.

There has been a decline in the interest of astronomy.. unfortunatly.. I think issues at home are taking too much attention... its a shame really. Todays generation seem less interested... not all kids though but much less than before.

I don't know about a mars mission. I think space exploration is vital to the evolution of the human race...but I also think that times are extremely tough right now as well and no money should be wasted...but yet that's already happening now anyway.

I completely agree... now is not the time. I admire those brave men of Apollo 11, and I am glad they are pushing for this thing continously.. but right now it aint the time. Im sure they would like to see something get going in their lifetimes... but I doubt it. Although hopefully we will get a man to Mars before this century ends.

I'm actually surprised you support this SG.

Damn staight I do.... could be by childhood interests. Look I oppose anymore increases in military spending and technology to only serve the purpose of war, however investment in such other areas... as NASA.. space exploration... something that will become much more necessary in the future... thats something none of us can deny.

Funding towards NASA has decreased ever since the end of the cold war... we had nobody to compete with... (ironically though we still spend like we're in the cold war on the military) however competition shouldnt have been the force behind space exploration in the first place.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Southern Guardian]

top topics

join