It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines charged in rape of 12-year-old girl

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Marines ... not the sharpest tools in the shed ...

Really? When was the last time you spoke with an 18 year old Marine fresh from his initial training cycle? Give me a dozen Marines, fresh in their unit, and put them up against a dozen 18 year old civilians, in terms of manners, confidence, and the manner in which they carry themselves. I guarantee you that the average American would classify the Marines more 'sharp' than their former peers.

My background is Army Infantry, but I will give the sea-going bellhops their due. (Just a little friendly ribbing there, Marines.)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking04

Really? When was the last time you spoke with an 18 year old Marine fresh from his initial training cycle? Give me a dozen Marines, fresh in their unit, and put them up against a dozen 18 year old civilians, in terms of manners, confidence, and the manner in which they carry themselves. I guarantee you that the average American would classify the Marines more 'sharp' than their former peers.

My background is Army Infantry, but I will give the sea-going bellhops their due. (Just a little friendly ribbing there, Marines.)

GREAT post, man! I agree completely!

The average young marine (or any military) is much more disciplined and respectful than the average spoiled teenager brought up in this day and age.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Disgusting Behavour on the parents for allowing thier child to come into this situation in the first place.

And it is not just Marinesin the US, ther are squaddies inthe UK who are eing court marshalled for the exact same thing. Was in the newspapers a while back about a teenager, having sex with a few army soldiers, and of other fimling it and having this onthier mobiles.

To me both sides are at fault for this.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

As a former sailor, I grant you nothing but the assurance that, although a dull tool can still git the job done, sometimes you've just gotta call a spade a spade ...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'm personally going to force myself to have a little faith in the process and the hope that the Marine Corps will police itself.

I would be willing to bet that the percentage of Marines suffering from some form of mental illness is no greater than the percentage of civilians suffering from the same.

Considering the stress these young men have to go through, it's a wonder more of them don't snap.

Again, it's a despicable story, but not one that is isolated to the Corps.

I DO sincerely believe that they will take care of these guys if found guilty. If civilians could look forward to the same punishment, we would have far fewer crimes.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I am going to have to agree with others who have been in the military in this thread. This was not right and those that were involved will be brought to justice. CID or whatever the Marine equivalent is will get to the bottom of this, those are some guys you don't want to mess with.

I would also like to say that this is something that I would hardly believe they would brag to their buddies about. This is something that they would likely keep to themselves just out of fear of punishment. The military is a tightly knit group of people but when something like this comes up you would be surprised at how fast you would be seen as an outcast.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

Indeed, and I will take that Marine for sharpness over the kid who couldn't make change at the McDonalds without the machine telling him or doing it for him, when he is motivated enough to show up for work.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

You hit it on the head there. The military justice system will fall upon the guilty like a ton of bricks, no Club Fed.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Indeed, and I will take that Marine for sharpness over the kid who couldn't make change at the McDonalds without the machine telling him or doing it for him, when he is motivated enough to show up for work.

Wjat, and we're supposed to be impressed by this ?

Whatever they're 'doing' they need to be 'flying straight' ...

And, if they're too dumb to 'know better,' then either send em off to
Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever, or just put em in jail ...

It's not rocket science ...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Just because someone wears a uniform, doesn't make them angels or superheroes. Maybe fallen angels. The military takes all kinds and has been said to lower their standards. There are the codes among those who don't rat on others and are scared for their lives. What is the true Story of Cpl. PatTillman? What secret did he die for he wassn't supposed to know?

I think many of these guys are scared regardless.

Parents may have a history in abuse and drug use. When things get bad, many will do things they normally wouldn't do. Such as Asia in Cambodia, Russia etc.

When children are sold into slavery, it's as if a death sentence.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Wjat, and we're supposed to be impressed by this ?

Whatever they're 'doing' they need to be 'flying straight' ...

And, if they're too dumb to 'know better,' then either send em off to
Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever, or just put em in jail ...

It's not rocket science ...

No, just pointing out the basic flaws in your generalization about the lack of intelligence of Marines. Sorry that your basic bigotry or ignorance led you so far from the truth.

The miscreants here will be tried and will receive far worse punishment than their civilian counterparts, for the same crimes, but your initial post was not about these specifically. You chose to attack all Marines.

Further, if a Marine is a TOW gunner, armaments tech, MLRS crewman (I believe the USMC has a few of these), or Stinger gunner, he deals with 'rocket science' as part of his job.

Oh yes, John Glenn and 15 or so others were Marines directly involved with 'rocket science', as astronauts.

Sometimes it is rocket science.

Edit for word choice.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Viking04]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking04

No, just pointing out the basic flaws in your generalization about the lack of intelligence of Marines

Just like I tell my wife : Certainly you are correct, dear !!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The problem here is that Marines are one of those special 'sub-sets' of the population, just like priests, cops and doctors. Because we have such high standards for those professions, and are often unquestioning of their individual integrity because of the nature of their position, we are often stunned when a revelation is made that one of them is not 'perfect'. The shock often leads to a mental backlash that supersedes rational judgment. Therefore, if a cop abuses someone then all cops are thugs. If a Marine rapes someone then all Marines must be rapists.

It's similar to the psychological backlash that occurs when someone gets dumped by a person they are deeply devoted to: "All men/women are SCUM!!!!". Haven't we all heard that one at some point? But, just as we know that all men/women are not scum then so are all Marines NOT rapists.

There are bad apples in the bunch - and there always will be - but most Marines are the salt of the Earth. I am, and always will be, proud to count Marines as members of my family and friends. This report changes nothing.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Viking04

No, just pointing out the basic flaws in your generalization about the lack of intelligence of Marines

Just like I tell my wife : Certainly you are correct, dear !!!!

Glad to see that you are man enough to admit your error.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by passenger

Hell no, all marines are not rapists !!!

Mopst of 'em are good people !!!

But, then again, if they were smart enough they would've been sailors ...

That's all I'm saying ...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

reply to post by passenger

Hell no, all marines are not rapists !!!

Mopst of 'em are good people !!!

But, then again, if they were smart enough they would've been sailors ...

That's all I'm saying ...

Now we have some common ground. At least they didn't join the Air Force.

Just kidding, Zoomies.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Now we have some common ground. At least they didn't join the Air Force.

Just kidding, Zoomies.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

About being in the Air Force, not a rapist. Just had to add that little clarifying touch.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Your freedom today was secured by men that violated human rights in the past. Deal with it.

I'm down with the clown ...

Anywayts, I like your quotation !

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

All right, all right - I GET the joke. Marines are stupid, Airmen fly - like fairies do, etc...

Inter-service rivalries aside - and I do appreciate the history of those - as a fellow member of the armed forces of the United States, I think you should be more defensive of attempts to paint fellow warriors with a broad brush.

Leave your arm-of-service-friendly-antagonism to the local tavern. In this case, I think you should be standing up as a fellow American, and service member, to condemn the perpetrator (and rightfully so ) but also to defend the other, honorable, members of the Corps.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Yes i totally agree, as a matter of fact i hold the parents ultimitely responsible for what happened. Which is why i said it's too bad they won't be tried in a military court also. There's no excuse for parents not watching their children and keeping them safe.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join