It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man trying to challenge Cuba travel ban still free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Man trying to challenge Cuba travel ban still free

news.yahoo.com

LOS ANGELES – A U.S. citizen trying to challenge the ban on travel to Cuba on Friday bemoaned his inability to get arrested or cited — even after having his passport stamped in Havana and bringing back Cuban memorabilia.

Mytchell Mora, a 39-year-old freelance entertainment news producer, said he told U.S. customs officials he broke the law after flying through Costa Rica home to Los Angeles early Friday.

Officials punched some information about him into a computer and sent him home without punishment, Mora said. They didn't even confiscate his Cuba T-shirt or postcards.

"I am ju
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This is the funniest thing. Some guy has a problem with a policy that he's just now finding out is obsolete. I suppose he'll have to find something else to complain about.

It seems that this week has been full of efforts to inflame passions. Some successful, this one not. It's good to see that in real life most things people don't care enough about the issue for a standoff to be created.

This is classic.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Travel restrictions to Cuba are no longer being enforced because we have been loosening these restrictions against Cuba since April of this year when Obama rekindled diplomacy with Cuba, and partially lifted the Travel & Trade Embargo.

Broad Backing for Cuba Relations

Obama in mid-April lifted travel and remittance restrictions on Cuban-Americans and opened the door for U.S. telecommunications companies to do business there.

The article goes on to mention that online polls show 66% of Americans are in favor of lifting the Travel Restrictions entirely. I believe that around the same time Obama asked for a inquiry into the feasibility of doing such.

It would stand to reason that if we are relaxing Travel & Trade with Cuba with the intent of lifting them entirely, that U.S. Customs would not enforce violations.

However, it would probably be quite a different outcome if Mytchell Mora was a Cuban citizen trying to visit the U.S. The D.H.S. and Immigration Department would be all over that like bees on honey.

So really, I don't know what point Mytchell Mora is trying to make in trying to get arrested as a show of protest when the current Administration is already clearly lifting sanctions with the intent to do so completely in the not-too-distant future.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

I thought so. He really needs to fire his intelligence Chief.

join