It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest

www.google.com

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A black police officer who was at Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s home when the black Harvard scholar was arrested says he fully supports how his white fellow officer handled the situation.

Sgt. Leon Lashley says Gates was probably tired and surprised when Sgt. James Crowley demanded identification from him as officers investigated a report of a burglary. Lashley says Gates' reaction to Crowley was "a little bit stranger than it should have been."

Asked if Gates should have been arrested, Lashley said supported Crowley "100 percent."

Gates has said he was the victim
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Watch as the media starts to back track from the racial scaremongering they ave taken part in the last few days. Its becoming more and more clear that Officer Crowley is the victim of racial profiling in this sittuation. This guy Gates was looking to be a victim, probably in an attempt to earn some street cred with his peers.

President Obama owes this officer a public apology for his ridiculously stupid remarks.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
After arresting Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates for disorderly conduct when he loudly protested police activity at his own home, the State of Massachusetts today dropped all charges against him.

I guess the state of Massachusetts owes the cop an apology as well. They don't support the arrest either.

Perhaps I owe the cop an apology.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDK88
After arresting Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates for disorderly conduct when he loudly protested police activity at his own home, the State of Massachusetts today dropped all charges against him.

I guess the state of Massachusetts owes the cop an apology as well. They don't support the arrest either.

Perhaps I owe the cop an apology.

I live in Massachusetts and our local media outlets have actually been reporting on the side of the police the entire time.

It's the national media that is taking this out-of-hand... not the local media.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Lets see CNN three days ago before this story broke was airing multiple pieces on how 'Birthers' people who are unsure of Obama's actual eligibility based on conflicting media reports of where he was born, his wide ranging international travels at a tender age, is out of the United States adoption and inability to show his long form Hawaiian Birth Certificate the only version that would clearly identify if he was born in Hawaii and his birth was just not simply recorded in Hawaii are all lunatics and nuts and possibly right wing terrorists for questioning it.

The next day a friend, supporter and idealogical ally to Obama who just happens to be black, manages to just be "rude" and "beligerent" enough to get thrown in jail so Obama can show how easily and quickly he can play the "Race" card.

I would say the President's message is loud and clear to those that are listening...some of us are Mr. Soretto indeed listening and watching very carefully, lest you forget!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yes everyone may owe citizen Crowley (1 of 300,000,000!!) an apology.

But what’s important is that when the apology doesn't come (or is said “under the table”) the issue will still have done its bit to turn black's against whites.
Not only does it fuel the self victimisation that is effective at keeping the black population poor, un-united, and malleable but it also divides Americans against each other thereby preventing unification against real common problems like the government debt mountain, broken promises, corrupt & lying politicians, ect, ect.

In Britain, in order to do the same, the government doesn’t build enough prisons, gives money too bad mothers for the more babies they produce.
Whilst our method saves money, I prefer the American one as it’s safer.

MBF

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
As much as I HATE to do this, I agree with Obama's comments. I feel that this was less of a racial thing and more of one of cops showing their authority. They will do the same thing to whites. When it was proven that the man was the home owner, the cops should have apologized and left.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest.

But ask any officer black white latino. They are all blue as in the uniform. They stick together and back each other up the same as they do in the military. Stand against them and the rest will turn there backs on you.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
How does one of the officers being black get rid of the racial aspect possibly surrounding this situation?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by kj6754
How does one of the officers being black get rid of the racial aspect possibly surrounding this situation?

How does the one arrested man being black add a racial aspect possibly not surrounding this situation?

[edit on 25-7-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

When it was proven that the man was the home owner, the cops should have apologized and left.

What should they have apologized for ? They did nothing wrong by asking the man for his ID since they were there checking on a report of a home invasion. They were merely making sure that the man was indeed the home owner and not a thief.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kj6754

What exactly leads you to beleive it ever had anything to do with race? The only person to bring race in to the sittuation was Gates. Gates is the only one who acted at all like a racist in this sittuation. Not to mention many in the MSM who went along with it for 2 days.

MBF

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

True, they did nothing wrong by asking the man for his ID. When it was proven that the house did in fact belong to the man, their job there was over. There was NO reason to arrest him what so ever. Cops like to show their authority so they showed him that they could arrest him. In my opinion they were completely in the wrong. You have no idea how much I hate to agree with Obama on any issue, but this is one that I will.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by MBF]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Of course he does. Because he knows why they were there in the first place...To protect Gates's property. Exactly what they are paid to do.

My suspicion (based on personal experience) is that Gates ignored this fact and, instead, attempted to impose his imagined elitist authority on someone he views as being beneath him. I doubt there was any issue of racism in this incident, before the media got wind of it.

When I inject myself in the place of Gates, this is my response: 'Thank you Sgt. Crowley for your quick response, to attempt to protect my property. Whatever I need to do to satisfy your investigation, I will comply. Also, can you tell me which neighbor called in? I'd like to thank them for watching out for my property, as well.' This would be followed by a letter of commendation to Sgt. Crowley's superiors.

It is unfortunate we ever had to hear of this incident. This happens every day, without turning into a national emergency.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
When have you ever seen a cop not support the actions of another cop, they even justify brutality because it's their buddy doing it ... so it must be ok, right?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Yes More Smoke And Mirriors.

that is all the Media is anyway, a way to control the people through fear mongering tactics, and mind manipulation, and then to throw people off track with pure smoke and mirrors.

i wasn't there so i can't comment on what was said at this "arrest" but if the tables were turned and it was a white getting arrested by a black cop would it be as racist? or a Mexican? or a Asian? or an Indian? hell any other race?

no it wouldn't much matter cause they needed smoke and mirrors

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
What surprises me most about this incident is how the President "race baited" before all the facts were in. The President should honestly be ashamed of himself and yes, an apology is in order. However, I don't think we will see an official apology, but I know we have already seen some backtracking.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

No reason except the fact that he was creating a public disturbance, if the police report is correct. According to the officers he was uncooperative, beligerent, and yelling at the officer that he was a racist, etc. Allegedly he was asked several times to calm down, but refused to do so and was arrested for disorderly conduct. I know that if i was acting like that with officers i would be arrested for the same thing.

The first two pages are the report of officer Crowley, the third page is the report of officer Figueroa.....

www.thesmokinggun.com...

Obama made the mistake of speaking about the incident before he knew all of the facts.

Obama is now admitting that he used a poor choice of words....

Obama conceded his words had been ill-chosen, but he stopped short of a public apology.

He is also now admitting that he thinks that his friend also overreacted to the officers......

The president did not back down from his contention that police had overreacted by arresting the Harvard professor for disorderly conduct after coming to his home to investigate a possible break-in. He added, though, that he thought Gates, too, had overreacted to the police who questioned him.

So even Obama now admits that his friend was also in the wrong. Which says to me that perhaps if the proffesor hadn't allowed himself to feel victimized and become so enraged over it the police would never have arrested him.

The professor said his door was damaged from a previous attempted break in, perhaps he would prefer that the if there is another attempted break in his nieghbors don't call the police and if they do the police don't respond.

Edit to add link....

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 7/26/2009 by chise61]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

Yes, Obama even commented on the smoke and morrors himself.....

Obama wryly took note of the distraction from his legislative efforts.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but nobody's been paying much attention to health care," the president said.

What a coincidence that he would make a public statement that would draw so much attention while they're trying to pass his healthcare bill

Edit to add link again

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 7/26/2009 by chise61]

MBF

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

Allegedly he was asked several times to calm down, but refused to do so and was arrested for disorderly conduct.

The picture that I saw, they were bringing him out of house from the inside. If he was inside of his house, he can say anything he wants too. I don't think the cops had a warrant to be inside of the house.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join