It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to make a still?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I've been pondering lately, what is a skill I could work on that would be useful if society starts breaking down and resources are scarce, and I've been thinking about learning how to distill liquor. Having this skill might allow you to trade for foodstuffs if you don't live in a rural area and you can't grow your own. I'm not going to build this to sell, I'm thinking about it solely from a survival perspective.

After poking around Bing and Goole, I ran across some instructions that I found at www.moonshine-still.com... as a starting point. My question is, has anyone done this? If so, can you provide some pointers or other recommended websites?

[edit on 7/24/2009 by Finalized]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Finalized

You don't need yards of copper pipe to make liquor. Julia Nolan, a chemical engineer, shows us how to distill alcohol the easy way.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Just FYI here: it's "illegal" in many states due to ATF restrictions to "legally" run a still for the intent of producing liquor.My own lil' "disclaimer" before I give you some info.

HOWEVER,that doesn't mean you can't build one or own one,there are ways around it all,you can "distill" for other purposes such as essential oils,perfume,and other things.

Many I know that do it as a "hobby" take it pretty seriously and aren't too quick to "share sources" but if you browse the sites that supply to beer and wine "hobbyists",you may just find some solid info.

Start small and there are even "portable electric distillers" around (Crosby Baker is a supplier I believe?) sold for the purpose of "small batch testing..."

Lots of recipes online,join a solid-forum on the subject and act like you really want to learn...it IS a source of "pride and braggin' rights" for many who enjoy the process,some crazy-coots as well.

Okay...I like this post: you want to start with a book by Matthew B. Rowley called simply "Moonshine" (again,check beer/wine suppliers) and in this,he shows the "how to" along with many great illustrations construct and use a conical still,a pot still, how to braise it properly,etc,etc...you get my drift? Also compares still-designs and gives his personal preferences.

It's a VERY cool and informative little book...

You didn't hear this from me,a silly girl...LOLROF!

Been messin' with this for a long time...my guy's grandfather was a notorious bootlegger during Prohibition.

Have fun and as you get more confident,you can really get "brave" with your design,size,and your end results!

[edit on 24-7-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I havent actually made one yet but Ive played around with a few copper alembics. They work pretty well.

With this pop-culture rush to "alternative fuels" still plans and still construction materials are pretty commonplace. Everyone is pushing them for fuel purposes or for distilling "essential oils" and other such, excuse the term, hippie crap.

If you want to get into certain liquors and are concerned with quality there is much to learn about the different still types and what each one is good for.

If you just want redneck corn whiskey then all you need is a bucket with a lid and some tubing.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Thanks for the video, very informative, I ran across that method at one point. I think if I get into the hobbyist side of distilling, this would be a perfect method. For the survivalist side, I would want to be able to do it without an electricity source.

reply to post by irishchic

Thanks IrishGirl, I'm off to find some forums and start doing more research.

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

For the "survival" side of this equation, I think all I would want to make would be "redneck corn whiskey", but the hobbyist/tinkering side of me likes the video.

Thanks all for the responses!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Years ago, there was a series of books put together by highschool students from Applachia. It was called "Foxfire." These kids went around the area interviewing oldtimers about how to do things the old fashioned way. One of the articles detailed how to make a still, how to distill moonshine, etc. The entire set of books make for a lot of good survival techniques. They are available at Amazon.com. The entire set, new, is pretty expensive, but is, in my opinion, worth it for those who want to get back to basics, or who want to develop skills that will serve them well in a longterm survival situation.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This video is a cheap shot at home chemists.

The first thing that the "chemistry expert" in the low-cut blouse says is "people only study chemistry to make drugs and explosives".

Now imagine the number of people who watch this and don't notice that poison pill being implanted into their subconscious.

How many of you noticed it, before I pointed it out in this post?

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Symbiote]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
A very practical, perfectly legal use for making a home-made still would be to distill water. If your water source is questionable (as it most certainly will be in a sit x), distilling is a good method of procuring clean water.

Drinking yourself into a stupor is just a side benefit.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The Firefox book will give you good basics on the 'old-time' way. Just remember one thing, that running off a batch requires a very large amount of sugar. Think through what you will need to feed into it. Fruit-based may be a good way to go, as much of the sugar required will be in the Watermelon (as an example), but 'corn' does require lots of sugar. That is one way folks were tipped off, large sugar purchases.

Curiously enough, it is becoming more mainstream. A couple of issues ago, GARDEN AND GUN had an article about 'apple pie' being served in a restaurant for 'select customers'.

join