It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Press Secretary Gibbs on UFOs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by fls13

See this is what worries me. Everyone's asking politely (and sometimes not so nicely) for disclosure, but no one's asking to simply reopen investigations. It's the wrong demand. If there's nothing to disclose because it's all a foul-up then what's needed is scientific and governmental investigation.

This point can't be overstated.

Though I have to say I'm mighty appreciative Ryan got Gibbs on the horn to make a public comment. Hopefully that'll cause someone somewhere to sit-up and take notice.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Yeah but did you see how gibbs cleverly made the guy look like a nut job by pointing out that this guy was up at 4am ringing about ufo's.. I could see it in his smerky face..

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
It's about time someone nailed the Obama administration on this. Where is all that 'promised' transparency? How long does it take for the issuance of a Presidential executive order, to release 'all' government documents (in non-retracted form) relating to ufo's and aliens?

Good for the Seattle caller!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman
It's about time someone nailed the Obama administration on this. Where is all that 'promised' transparency? How long does it take for the issuance of a Presidential executive order, to release 'all' government documents (in non-retracted form) relating to ufo's and aliens?

Good for the Seattle caller!

That was essentially Gibbs' response, we're committed to transparency.

We do need to be honest with ourselves. The UFO phenomenon is a benign one. I'd rather maintain the status quo than whip up an alien hysteria ("they're a national security threat!") to get all the facts the government knows.

I think Nick Pope is probably right. It will be disclosure in drips and drops, which is what we're seeing.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ignorance Denied
Yeah but did you see how gibbs cleverly made the guy look like a nut job by pointing out that this guy was up at 4am ringing about ufo's.. I could see it in his smerky face..

I'm willing to give Gibbs the benefit of the doubt. If a person is willing to get up at 4 A.M. to call in about a subject that they feel strongly about (regardless of subject matter) it shows how seriously the person takes it. This is neither negative nor positive it just shows that the person feels it's truly important, which Gibbs hits on.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by fls13
That was essentially Gibbs' response, we're committed to transparency.

I really hope the reason for the response touting "transparency" wasn't simply to score political points, but I'm sure in one way or another it was a defensive reaction to show they're sticking to their campaign promises.

We do need to be honest with ourselves. The UFO phenomenon is a benign one. I'd rather maintain the status quo than whip up an alien hysteria ("they're a national security threat!") to get all the facts the government knows.

Not everyone believes UFOs are benign. There are a number of cases where UFO sightings that have resulted in severe radiological burns, death, and the shutting down of nuclear minutemen missiles. One of the more interesting stories is Dan Sherman's supposed inside account working on Project Preserve Destiny. If he's correct, the government has participated in some manner in the abduction phenomenon.

I think Nick Pope is probably right. It will be disclosure in drips and drops, which is what we're seeing.

Again I don't think there's much if anything to disclose, other than ignorance and people fooling themselves in to thinking, to quote Hynek, "it can't be therefore it isn't."

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Xtraeme]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtraeme
I really hope the reason for the response touting "transparency" wasn't simply to score political points.

Not everyone believes UFOs are benign. There are a number of cases where UFO sightings that have resulted in severe radiological burns, death, and the shutting down of nuclear minutemen missiles. One of the more interesting stories is Dan Sherman's supposed inside account working on Project Preserve Destiny. If he's correct, the government has participated in some manner in the abduction phenomenon.

Well yes, Gibbs' job is to score political points.

There are obviously some well documented cases where encounters with UFOs didn't end well, Mantell being the most famous. Still, they are few and far between enough to label the phenomenon benign.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
S&F Great find and post!

This is the kind of thing that needs to happen more often. Call, write, and fax any and every person in Government you can about UFOs. Our numbers are large. If we all did our part, it would do a lot.

Would have been nice if Gibbs said something at the end like "...but I will run this by President Obama and see what he thinks." Something as small as that would have been nice instead of the same old stonewalling. So funny how people in Government never give a straight answer about UFOs. It's always a short statement that leaves you feeling like

[edit on 24-7-2009 by ufo reality]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I really hope the reason for the response touting "transparency" wasn't simply to score political points.

Well yes, Gibbs' job is to score political points.

There are obviously some well documented cases where encounters with UFOs didn't end well, Mantell being the most famous. Still, they are few and far between enough to label the phenomenon benign.

To label the phenomenon benign would also require completely discounting all abduction reports. I'll be the first to admit I have a hard time accepting abduction stories, but if even one or two are real, then these reports are anything but benign.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

To label the phenomenon benign would also require completely discounting all abduction reports. I'll be the first to admit I have a hard time accepting abduction stories, but if even one or two are real, then these reports are anything but benign.

Well . . . now that you mention it.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

S&F for him, whoever he is.

But its your thread.

I expect Obama to give the same response as Truman about UFOs.
I think it went something like: Yeah there are a lot of them out there.

A lot better than the response of Forestall to the Alien question.
Better luck to Obama.
Obama might be sticking to Earth bound problems.
I don't see Obama making a JFK and saying we are going to Mars.
The Russians are in training for the month long travel.
Can't wait to see UFOs on the way to Mars.
Now that will wake up the world.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Made it's way onto youtube: www.youtube.com...

What a lame response. Almost as lame as these:

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Well . . . now that you mention it.

Fair enough.
However we don't even need to invoke anecdotal accounts of abductions to argue against the benign nature of this phenomenon.

For instance, since there are UFO cases with numerous corroborating ground / air radar, ground / air visuals, even the most skeptically minded person who is unwilling to accept this as proof of something physically being in the air as an "Unidentified Flying Object," has to accept that these incidents affected the pilots wet-ware, their aircrafts hardware, and ground radar stations. For example, the Lakenheath / Bentwaters '56 incident, is on the record as having caused a large ruckus for the UK and the US military. That makes it an issue that could have serious repercussions in a wartime situation.

There's nothing benign about that sort of situation.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
don't see Obama making a JFK and saying we are going to Mars.

I think the journey is actually more like 7 months ONE WAY - not a month - unless we can get those ION and PLASMA drives on line and I mean SOON!

Just pointing out, thats all - GREAT THREAD!

Dorian Soran

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Dorian Soran]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dorian Soran

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
don't see Obama making a JFK and saying we are going to Mars.

I think the journey is actually more like 7 months ONE WAY - not a month - unless we can get those ION and PLASMA drives on line and I mean SOON!

Just pointing out, thats all - GREAT THREAD!

Dorian Soran

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Dorian Soran]

They did have an ion craft to be built in space.
An animation of the design and showing it working.

Perhaps that is why they had a training chamber with
only one month.
Excellent TV show on Russia.
Yeah training is the thing that makes success.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Hopefully this link works.

Chris Mathews on Hardball making a comment on the Gibbs comment.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by fls13

You're on a roll FLS! Very nice finds!
I only wish Chris Matthews was less dismissive. One of the biggest problems facing ufology is that it's largely viewed as a damned conspiracy. If we could disassociate UFOs from the idea of conspiracy cover-up it would be better for everyone.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

reply to post by fls13

I only wish Chris Matthews was less dismissive. One of the biggest problems facing ufology is that it's largely viewed as a damned conspiracy. If we could disassociate UFOs from the idea of conspiracy cover-up it would be better for everyone.

The government lied, the government covered up . . . that's been proved. What about is the mystery.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

reply to post by fls13

The government lied, the government covered up . . . that's been proved. What about is the mystery.

There are isolated incidents of lies and then in other instances we may simply be dealing with people who have misspoken. The only significant lie the US has been caught in was Roswell and based on the GAO report it appears the lie was to cover Mogul balloons.

Using that as a guide I think it's safe to say if there are additional lies it's very likely to cover TS aircrafts. So therefore it would be better for people who think UFOs represent truly incredible phenomenon to separate the cover-up component from requests for additional studies in to the UFO phenomenon.

If we want traction on this subject we have to be smart. The public at large will not buy in to the conspiracy angle. It's the easiest thing to ridicule.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join