It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reid: Don't Blame Obama For Vegas Blacklisting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Reid: Don't Blame Obama For Vegas Blacklisting

www.fox5vegas.com

The story surfaced in a Wall Street Journal article on Wednesday. On Thursday, Sen. Harry Reid said don't blame the Obama administration for the government travel restrictions to resort destinations like Las Vegas.
Reid said the policy came from the Bush administration. Holding nearly 50 pages of e-mails and memos, Reid explained.
Mayor Oscar Goodman was in Denver Thursday, but he released this statement “I have been in contact with the White House, and I’m working with Sen. Harry Reid to resolve the situation in a way that is favorable to Las Vegas.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
As a Vegan I will tell you this. Reid is a sellout. His own city is feeling the sting from this, and the only thing that reid can say is "Dont blame Obama,Its Bushs' Fault". GET REAL.

Remember..this all started earlier on in the year when Obama told people not to go to Las Vegas.

What I want to know is why is the govt putting places like Las Vegas and Orlando on these blacklists? Our cities are the best spots in the country to have these conventions, they are the best rated for price, value for your dollars, yet we go on the blacklists. Why? Oscar Goodman is furious about this, and he has every right to be. Too bad old Harry Reid cant find his backbone to stick up for us locals. Our city DEPENDS on tourism to survive. Anyway we can get the buisness here, we will take it. Tourism in Vegas is like the auto industry in Detroit...Its the only thing keeping us afloat. The Govt never ceases to amaze me.

www.fox5vegas.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This whole "It's Bush's Fault" is really growing thin.

This is retarded, Reid can't even stand up for his own constituents. Didn't he vote for the bailout? If so then he is just as guilty as everyone else that led us to this problem.

Hopefully you guys will vote him out.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Mr. Reid, it most certainly is Obama's fault.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Here's a link to the Las Vegas mayors reaction to Obama.

www.economist.com...

Do they REALLY think we're that stupid?

The arrogance has made me sick.

Bush was on the grassy knoll
Bush faked the moon landings
Bush was in Roswell in 1947
Bush killed the pilgrims on Plymouth Rock
Bush started WWII
Bush had 30+ czars
Bush killed Jesus
Bush is responsible for my receding hair line
Bush made my kids disrespectful
Bush caused an eclipse
Bush caused the impact on Jupiter
Bush made sure Pluto wasn't a planet anymore
Bush lost the secret to warp drive
Bush caused global warming
Bush caused global cooling
Bush caused global indifference
Bush invented Al Gore
Bush kidnapped the Linberg baby
Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush

. . . . . . yaaahhhhhhhrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh!

stopitstopitstopitstopit!

[edit on 24-7-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
So it's wrong for Obama to tell company's that they need to cut their spending? Do they really need to go blowing money in Vegas. I have been to Vegas and it's not the cheapest place to visit in the world. In fact and can be quite costly.

Vegas is a city built upon a principal of sucking money out of people and right now the country is going through some hard times. Unfortunately for Vegas this is not going to be the best time for their type of economy to flourish.

If Obama tells people not to do drugs and all the drug dealers start losing sales should he apologize?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Im sorry styki..but are you comparing the Las Vegas Economy to drug dealers? All based on defending one mans words>?wow.

You dont have to come to Vegas, you dont have to like Vegas, you dont have to do anything you dont wish to do on your own behalf. Its NOT for the President to label which cities to do buisness in.

At least here in Vegas, we gamble our money the legal way...what about in Chicago? You know, the state where he resided in, you know, the perfect state. You think he would have made a comment like that about his own state, even if it was in dier straights? You know damn well he wouldnt. Blacklist...psh. Im with Goodman as always on this one, hes the only reason that this city has done so great over the past years. He is more valuable than reid will ever be to this state.

Keep messin with Vegas, pretty soon it wont be "what happens in Vegas, stays in in Vegas"any longer..it will be more like "What happens in Vegas, Will Follow You, So you better watch your ass".

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

So it's ok for the government to tell us how to spend our money?

I can balance my checkbook, I can balance my budget.

Too bad the "best" and the "brightest" in DC can't say the same -snort- and yet they have the audacity to try to tell us how to live our lives.

Sick, I tell you, it makes me sick!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
These are huge conventions, that rake in a lot of money for this city.
When these major corporations stop comming here to do conventions, it hurts us very badly because it becomes a chain effect. Major players wont want to come here because they are fearful of getting thrown under the bus because they didnt do it in San Fransisco, or any other city for that matter(Like you cant get into any trouble and have fun while you are there in these cities either). Its a crock.It does nothing but hurt theeconomy more when they make statements like this.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

They just don't want people to get their tax money back from the people that stole it.

I don't think I have ever been more agitated at any point in my life more than I have been in the past 6 months.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
So it's not ok for business to go to Vegas on taxpayer dime, I get that part and understand that. However, once again Obama is being a hypocrite. I was in Vegas in late May and I was surprised to see a flyer at Caesar's Palace advertising a fundraiser for Reid that Obama would be at. Now, isn't Air Force One and all of Obama's entourage paid for by the taxpayers? So businesses can't come to Vegas to hold meetings and such, but it's all good and fine for Obama to do it on taxpayer dime, what a hypocrite.

www.lasvegassun.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'll raise Reid 2000 stage hands that will refute the idea that this is somehow NOT Obama's fault. People are out of work because he was too thoughtless to realize people live and work here.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I'll raise Reid 2000 stage hands that will refute the idea that this is somehow NOT Obama's fault. People are out of work because he was too thoughtless to realize people live and work here.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by projectvxn]

OMG Reid is so far removed from his constituency ... just like every other Senator.

Senators are further removed than from their constituency than the Reps.

Everyone knows that Reno and Las Vegas are both extremely moderate in prices.

I lived in Reno and 15 years ago it was actually cheaper to eat at the buffets than at home cooking meals yourself.

I'm sure prices have changed since then, but hey, all the lights ... they are just exciting towns to visit... they can be rough to make a living there though.

The desert is very attractive especially the Colorado River area.

Time to blow out congress...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Obama's a idiot. I'm sick of him already. Impeach! Enough said.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki Do they really need to go blowing money in Vegas.

Yes most certainly... those conventions pay my bills

I have been to Vegas and it's not the cheapest place to visit in the world. In fact and can be quite costly.

You just have to know where to go

Vegas is a city built upon a principal of sucking money out of people and right now the country is going through some hard times.

Yes but we give you a good bang for your buck and drinks are on the house while you play

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I will admit that it is unfortunate that Las Vegas is not doing as well as it could be during this time. Not only because this will hurt the people that live there but because it's impossible to see what this will do to a city has been a great place to have some fun and be entertained.

I just can't see how a city with an economy like this could do well during harsh economic times.

Although, it's not going to stop me from spending a weekend in Vegas if I have some extra cash. Who knows, maybe I will get married sometime soon and need to have a bachelor party! Hangover anyone?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kords21

What Obama was referring to when he made this comment was the company's that have borrowed money from the US. It's not just because they are using tax payer dollars, it's because they needed cash and they borrowed taxpayer dollars. So, in order to pay that money back they need to watch their budgets and planning trips to Las Vegas is not exactly doing that.

Remember back in the days when all those company's got bailed out and one when on some vacation/ management retreat? It made the headlines and people were heated, this is the same situation. The only difference is that the media has the spotlight on Obama this time so that is who everybody is mad at.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

No, it's not ok for the government to tell you how to spend your money. However, if the government has loaned you money and you have to pay it back it's still not legal for the government to tell you how to spend your money (this could be up for debate). In this case it's ok for the government to publicly criticize the company and make the public aware of what is going on.

In another example, if someone was to take their welfare check and blow it in Las Vegas then I would be disappointed.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

No, I am comparing how people react to Obama's statements and what he should apologize for. He can't apologize every time there is a negative reaction to something he says.

With that being said, there are a few hustlers Las Vegas and company's who have borrowed from the US taxpayers so focus on paying the money back instead of trips to Las Vegas. What happened to all the outrage about all these company's whom were bailed out going on weekend management retreats? Is it an it's not important until it's effecting me type of deal? I have been to Las Vegas, it's not the cheapest place in the world and I would find it hard to believe that these company's would be shopping for the bargain deals during their trips.

I just don't believe that Obama said the wrong thing here. What message should Obama be sending? It's ok to go on luxurious weekend trips with taxpayer dollars just as long as it helps a US city? When they run out of money should we bail them out again?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Vegas is a great place but taxpayer and shareholder dollars should not be used for trips to Vegas while these companies operate basically insolvent. It is only common sense. Vegas is a luxury and not a right.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join