It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Sea Sinkholes Swallowing Up Unwary

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Dead Sea Sinkholes Swallowing Up Unwary

www.foxnews.com

The Dead Sea is the lowest spot of land on the planet, where the Bible says God rained fire and brimstone down on the misbehaving residents of Sodom and Gomorrah — and where now, the Earth occasionally opens up and swallows people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Can you freakin' believe this?! If this isn't a sign of earth changes I don't know what is. I looked for this article posted anywhere else but couldn't find it.

Is there anything in Revelation that talks about sinkholes in the Dead Sea? I would think there would be some type of discussion about the land collapsing or falling apart during the end times.

Also could this support he Hollow Earth theory, and possibly 2012?

www.foxnews.com

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by gravitybender

Can you freakin' believe this?! If this isn't a sign of earth changes I don't know what is. I looked for this article posted anywhere else but couldn't find it.

Is there anything in Revelation that talks about sinkholes in the Dead Sea? I would think there would be some type of discussion about the land collapsing or falling apart during the end times.

Also could this support he Hollow Earth theory, and possibly 2012?

www.foxnews.com

how could this be a sign of earth changes if it happened during the time of Sodom and Gomorrah ?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gravitybender

No? There are sinkholes all over the place...

www.teachingboxes.org...

Hey this is cool.

Florida's famous sinkholes are important evidence that sea level was higher in the past. Sinkholes only form in areas where limestone bedrock occurs. Fossils show that Florida's limestone bedrock formed in ancient marine water environments. However, when sea level falls, the limestone becomes exposed on the land's surface. It becomes exposed to freshwater from rain, limestone will start to dissolve, forming caverns.

That actually proves that once there was more sea cover.

Oh wait, that's Noah's Flood. Forgot.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is a tad confusing for me. Sink holes in the dead sea? ISnt the dead sea suposed to have so much salt in it, yuor supposed to float? Even an elephant would float! I had no idea sodom and ghomorah were realtied to the dead sea! thas aweomse to know

so! for sink holes to open in in boyant water..thats seems misleading. unless thier were small whirpools or maybe losoe sediment making it quicksand that i could belive.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Okay so I am out of my mind that this is news of the day, and there is nothing going on! I guess I read into this wrong and was too quick to post. I thought it was talking about a record number of sinkholes happening and happening very rapidly.

But what do I know.

It just seems odd that if it's no big deal why did they still make a story out of it?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Slow news day?

Warning potential SCUBA divers?

Must be hard to SCUBA there. Probably need extra weight belts.

The earth's surface changes all the time. It recycles itself. Not a big deal.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

because it is fox news and they will make a news story out of a new Simpsons episode

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
LOl munkey66 that had me almsot rollin in tears
casue its sad but true lol

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
And I heard a report that Israel wants to dig a canal to the Mediterranean or the Red Sea to bring water in to refill the dead sea. It is over 1100' below sea level there. Can you imagine the water flow out of the Med or Red Sea when they open up a canal to bring water in? It's crazy.

We have sink holes in Florida where I live. I really think these sink holes are forming because of all the water that is pumped out of the aquafer or other underground sources of water. It leaves open caverns where water once was. Water can't be compressed and was holding up the land. I watched a Florida utility sink 3 6" deep wells, on top of their already overwhelmed supply, and less that 6 months later a whole lake was sucked dry from a sink hole that formed where there was a spring that fed it before.

People are going to really have problems with water resources in the near future. I haven't heard geologists attribute the sink holes to over pumping of the underground water supply, but I swear it is happening.

Maybe it is a conspiracy that it is being kept hush hush so as not to panic the masses that they are at a critical point of water supplies and their hopes to depopulate the planet to resolve this issue. I have heard prophecies around that there will be water wars in the future.

[edit on 23/7/09 by spirit_horse]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
So what do you think of this quote fromt he article:

"It happened so quickly," says Raz. "I was busy documenting, taking pictures, writing in my notebook, using my equipment, etc. All of a sudden, I found myself down. It was terrible."

That scene is repeated over and over as rescuers haul hikers from subterranean misfortune. Some 3,000 sink holes have appeared on the banks of the Dead Sea — and an estimated 3,000 more are ready to burst open.

Sounds pretty important to me. I don't know about you but 3,000 is about 3,000 too many when it comes to sinkholes, don't you think?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

because it is fox news and they will make a news story out of a new Simpsons episode

Yeah that is so funny, I totally forgot this was an all liberal site. Thanks for reminding me!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
news.nationalgeographic.com...

It's because the sea levels are dropping.

There.

The formation of the dead sea sinkholes are caused by a drop in the seas water level due to limited rainfall, the diversion of much needed water from its upstream sources, pollution, and industrial evaporation of water by the Dead Sea mineral industry.

As the sea levels drop, high levels of salt are left behind in the soil.

When fresh water washes in and dissolves the salts, cavities are created, causing sinkholes.

Detecting potential sinkholes is crucial because they not only damage the environment, but pose a direct threat to the tourist industry and agriculture.

These underground pits can now be better detected by a new monitoring system.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

Slow news day?

Warning potential SCUBA divers?

Must be hard to SCUBA there. Probably need extra weight belts.

The earth's surface changes all the time. It recycles itself. Not a big deal.

I think if you had a sinkhole in your back yard you would consider it a big deal especially if 3,000 showed up and swallowed your neighbors.

Geez a lot of positivity floating around at 10:30.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
when I was a young boy the county agent came out to our farm and made my dad remove our stinkhole even tho he built a small shed over it.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

I know this is a short response, and off topic but:

Don't ever change that post. Made me laugh for awhile for whatever reason.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
There is a perfectly good man made explaination for what is happening, if you read the entire article.

We had a spot in our front yard where I grew up in central Fla, it had grass over it, but when you stood on it you could feel the water under it, one day it opened up and my lil brother when into it! All was good though!

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Don't need to sear far for this one and why this is happening

From Wikipedia

In 1964, Israel began operating a dam that diverts water from the Sea of Galilee, a major Jordan River water provider, to the National Water Carrier. Also in 1964, Jordan constructed a channel that diverted water from the Yarmouk River, another main tributary of the Jordan River. Syria has also built reservoirs that catch the Yarmouk's waters. Environmentalists blame Israel, Jordan and Syria for extensive damage to the Jordan River ecosystem.[3] In modern times, the waters are 70% to 90% used for human purposes and the flow is much reduced. Because of this and the high evaporation rate of the Dead Sea, the sea is shrinking. All the shallow waters of the southern end of the sea have been drained in modern times and are now salt flats.

In other words, only 10% to 30% of what used to be a full 100% river emptying itself in the dead sea is what is causing this phenomenon. When one messes up with the ecosystem of a river, there are repercussions to go along, in this case, sinkholes.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
There is a perfectly good man made explaination for what is happening, if you read the entire article.

We had a spot in our front yard where I grew up in central Fla, it had grass over it, but when you stood on it you could feel the water under it, one day it opened up and my lil brother when into it! All was good though!

Yes, thank you space cadet..
I admit I was in too much of a hurry to post this that I skimmed it and thought the worse.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
@ gravity

Why is it too many? It's like saying there are x-amount of mountains and that's x-amount too many.....It's a living planet and so is the environment. It's natural.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by thegreatobserver]

[edit on 24-7-2009 by thegreatobserver]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join